Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM

15 posts, read 15,272 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just registered for this site, it seems like a nice community and I was hoping to get some help in some gray areas. Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

So I will be separating from the Millitary on 4 November 2014. I am seperating from the state of Hawaii and I have claimed Florida as my home of record for the six years I have been in (lived there for 18 years).

I am trying to move to the Portland area an attend PCC. I haven't completely made up my mind but I am steadily looking into their EET program, specifically the wireless/communications track. I have a background as a technician for a sophisticated radar system and a lot of the course material I am familiar with. I want a short-term degree as I want to get into the workforce faster.

More generally, My plan is to move to the area and buy a place as I don't like renting and I will have about 25k in accessible savings.

I am unsure as to how I'm going about this because I plan on filing for unemployment (either in Hawaii or in Oregon) and paying my mortgage dues for the first year from my savings.

Once I have exhausted my initial unemployment I will either have a part-time at the school or something close ,or file for their "TUI".

My question is mainly, how would filing for unemployment and buying a house work out? If I use the VA home loan, I was told I can put my Gi bill benefits as a source of income. However, I will initially be on unemployment after I get out as I need to have some time transitioning. Also, I haven't filled for school but I've been told it can take a while even if you're accepted, and I don't see myself being immediately accepted (realistically due to bureaucracy and application turn-around).

I really don't want to rent when I first move to the area, because I will just have to move again, adding to the stress and anxiety I don't need.

So I guess basically what I'm asking is it impossible to buy a condo/house while on unemployment? Sounds stupid when I say it I guess.

Also, I have a financially savvy friend who said that I can list trading stocks as my source of income, as I have the funds to back it up.. It seems to me If i can make mortgage payments and have a steady 6 month stipend, they really shouldn't have much to worry about.

Any ideas on some loopholes or some work arounds?

Thanks, and I really appreciate any input.

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I have nothing to contribute to your income issues but I want you to think about what program you intend to enroll in at PCC.

There is, and will be for many years, a high demand for diesel mechanics. Highly efficient diesel engines will be used for trucks, cars and marine engines going forward. The skill gives you mobility and decent pay.

If not diesel mechanics consider other technician programs. Focus on an education that will land you a job. Once you have a job you can continue your education taking classes that interest you,.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Okay, put the brakes on, we have some serious issues that need to be addressed here.

Let's start with an obvious issue. Your H.O.R. is Florida. That makes you an out of stater as far as unemployment and school is concerned. Oregon residency takes 6 months regardless of military service. You can not just be stationed someplace like Arizona where unemployment is $240/wk and then decide you want to come to Oregon and get $453/week and all of a sudden you are an Oregonian. It does not work that way.

You need to ask someone at your base in the Transition Assistance Program about your specific queries. As far as I my transition. My HOR was Oregon and I did not qualify for State Unemployment only a meager Federal Unemployment which I declined because it was gong to wreak havoc with my taxes. This is scenario is too complex for this forum.

When a friend of mine got out and decided to move to WA from AZ and his HOR was Iowa. I can't remember what happened but I know he was totally screwed for 6 months. He had his DD 214 and jumped through all the VA ed office hoops but WA (OR as well) required 6 months of residency to be considered in-state for ch 33 GI bill purposes. I'm awaiting his response.

As far as the house thing you really need to wait, get that idea out of your head and take the transition slow. Live here see if you like it see if you like it. If you are a radar tech why not look into civillian jobs at JB Lewis McChord in Tacoma. There is very little demand for anything the military taught you in this area. But Seattle has tons of jobs, for an easy tradition.

I got $100k at separation, and burned through $5k in 3 months during my transition. This is not a time to even be considering a long term investment like a house.

Quote:
My question is mainly, how would filing for unemployment and buying a house work out? If I use the VA home loan, I was told I can put my Gi bill benefits as a source of income. However, I will initially be on unemployment after I get out as I need to have some time transitioning. Also, I haven't filled for school but I've been told it can take a while even if you're accepted, and I don't see myself being immediately accepted (realistically due to bureaucracy and application turn-around).
Yes you are right I outlined the issues above. and no, it doesn't work. When I told the mortgage broker I was unemployed the conversation ended there. Mortgage brokers aren't stupid. The 9/11 33 is not steady income and you can't initiate a home purchase on unemployment these days it also expires in 36 months... then what. It's $1620/mo or $54/day but only for the days you are in school. You can qualify or pell grants. I dont know for a fact, but I am guessing the VA won't guarantee the loan with out income from EMPLOYMENT. Unless you will get a fat disability check, I would get this idea out of your head right now.

Quote:
I really don't want to rent when I first move to the area, because I will just have to move again, adding to the stress and anxiety I don't need.
<Facepalm> You need to live lean when you get out. Get things situated then save a ton of money. The market here is high. $200k is a good price for a home. 25k down would put your payments at about $1160 PITI. that's damn near all of your ch 33 payment. Add $500 in insurance, utilities elec 70 water 60 garbage 60, and services phone, internet etc and your whole full month stipend is gone. That's just for the house, get the drift. Gas is 3.60 a gallon I have a car that sips fuel and I still pay $160/mo for gas, you still haven't bought any food at this point. Now your unemployment is being eaten into, and you'll only get the amount you paid into it. People always think they get 99 weeks or whatever, but the truth you paid an amount in UI insurance and after that has been expended you don't get anymore. So say you had $11k (that's what I had after a 12 year career) in in UI benefits and you got $453/mo the max amount. In 24 weeks your UI would run out. That happened to a friend of mine who went back to Mass.

Quote:
So I guess basically what I'm asking is it impossible to buy a condo/house while on unemployment? Sounds stupid when I say it I guess.
yes it's impossible without lying. and yes it does sound stupid.

I work with transitioning vets on a regular basis and they all have big dreams like yours. 3 months later they are poopin' bricks because they didn't fill paperwork out right and the VA is withholding payments. Now, they are scrambling to get a part time job or ace eviction. They **** and moan about the VA when the real problem was irresponsible spending on unreliable income. Save your 25k and live frugal. Don't do anything stupid like buy a house or rent a $1100/mo apartment. I worked with a transitioning airman recently who had 10k saved up and got a nice apartment, kept his car (360 a mo + 120 comp coll insurance), 130 dollar a month phone with data, internet, he was living high on the hog. Well 6 months later he was down to fumes in his savings account. The summer hit and his degree plan did not have classes during the summer and he finished all of his prerequisites, so he could not attend. That means $0 BAH and $0 pell grants and because he couldn't enroll that quarter he was ineligible for work study. Also, realize there are some quarters you can't take a full load of classes to get 100% funding. Say you need 12 credits to be full time but you can only get 10. Depending on the school 10 credits could be 75% funding and 8 could be half. So because you can't take full credits you get a diminished monthly stipend. If you only qualify for half time the max is $810 dollars. So this happened a few times to this guy and he expended his savings to cover the gap. 6 months later he forgets to turn in his Proof of Attendance and now he's missing payments on the car. All of his Councillors tried to tell him, the money is sporadic and he needed to live frugal during transition. He didn't listen and things got super tight for him, thank god he got nothing more than a car repo.

Quote:
Also, I have a financially savvy friend who said that I can list trading stocks as my source of income, as I have the funds to back it up.. It seems to me If i can make mortgage payments and have a steady 6 month stipend, they really shouldn't have much to worry about.
Any ideas on some loopholes or some work arounds?
This is why this nation is in so much debt. Stop fudging the numbers. This makes my blood boil. People like your "financially savvy" friend were the people who crashed the market.

"Oh, $317k purchase price. Sure, no problem let's see I make $50k + $20k for basket weaving part time, and I have investments in bonds or something, oh and I have kids so that's tax deductions. I sell stuff on ebay, that's good for like 20k a year. I do some scrapping and I flip cars. that's like 100k a year." In reality they only made $50k + 3 or 4k/year. Dishonest people who fudged the numbers and went way beyond 1/3 of their income to purchase a house found loopholes then defaulted on the debt they signed on to the contract on and screwed every honest homeowner in the process.

Transitioning is not a time to be making large purchases. Get stable. Save money. Live frugal.

Or don't, it's your life...

Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 PM

Nell: thanks for the idea, however as much as I love mechanics, It's not something I want to get into. I'd prefer to work on small engines, I.E. cars and it's an industry of hard work and little pay (from my experience and the experience of others).

Andy: I understand mostly what you are trying to say. I think you are well articulated in your thoughts and your explanations; however there are a lot of things I don't think apply.

First off, I'm realistic. What I was looking at, in terms of market (currently) was an apartment near both the sylvania, and woodcreek campus (about 18-20 min.) for 85,000.

I'm not trying to buy a 3/2 with a pool, and I understand the cost of living. However, I live within my means and there is no reason to spend anything over 100k (If you're smart and find one). I just don't like the idea of paying 700-900 a month in rent, when I can buy an 80k place, equating to around 10 years of payments. There are plenty of people who rent for far longer and never even own a house (this is how I grew up as my parents had bad credit).

I understand the breakdown of the cost of living, I'm not dumb. I also don't like to be compared to the vets and the leeches that try to get out of the millitary and have everything handed to them. OBVIOUSLY I will need to get a part-time. finding a part-time is not hard, people just want easy jobs that make good money. For example, there are always janitorial positions, and I don't mind that. Makes me annoyed when single people who have no physical/mental dysfunction decide for themselves that they are above tough work.

I am in a division of people who are being separated for medical and legal reasons. All they do all day long is think of ways of how the VA can give them money. Personally, I don't like to complain and I hold a lot of stuff in but that's just me. Regardless, I see people with the most ridiculous plans such as solely living off of 9/11 BAH. Simply not happening.

I am more than likely getting VA benefits, but it will not be anything substantial. There is a possibility it will be, but that is something I don't factor into my equation.

I will admit, I did not know about Oregon residency. I did figure since so many people get out and don't go back to their HOR, that the system would be used to that. However, I obviously don't plan on going to school as soon as I get out. Besides, the enrollment process takes too long.

I think it's funny when you reference that airmen, as it's another case in point of people thinking they don't have to work. I've done night-school and weekend college while working full-time getting ready for deployment. It sucked, but nothing will be that hard again and I've established a baseline. I also know what it's like to be homeless and live in a van for 4 months taking showers sneaking into the gym, another baseline I don't care to go back to.

Anyway, I really wasn't trying to do anything illegal, I just wanted to know if there was a legal way to come up with an answer for the VA reps on Home Loans. I know they are strict which is why fixers would be out of the question.

And clearing up the job market transition and my rate specifics: there absolutely is a market for communications and wireless data... I don't really understand how you don't think that relates to 2 years of micro electronics school/ troubleshooting/ and communications theory. I don't plan on PCC handing me a degree or even caring about the millitary training, it's just that I'm familiar with the general knowledge overall, and the program course work is almost identical to my training.

I don't care for trying to get federal or millitary related jobs as the structure of technicians is too faulty and broken for government entity, and I'd rather get into the private sector with companies such as Verizon. I could easily have gotten a SPAWAR contract for minimum 80-90k, I just wouldn't have any interest in it.

I think you are right about the house thing, I just have seen myself in a much better position (funds, ideas, and plan-wise), and I guess I just want to hit the ground hard charging.

It is nice to hear a realistic answer as a lot of this BS in these transition classes is geared toward people writing resumes for white-collar jobs. As if SN or AN Timmy are really just going to jump into corporate America with no degree and a firm knowledge of gun cleaning or line-splicing. Honestly, it really gets old when people read from books and brochures, talking about all these programs and really making all these kids seem like the government is just going to take care of them.

On the note of liking the state I'm pretty sure I'll do alright. I dislike the heat (I know it gets hot but it's nothing compared to HI/FL/other horrible states I've been to), and I like the cold and the rain. I stay in doors, I work on my car and I play instruments, I just don't think it will be a hard transition.

Andy, After you're done getting pissed off reading my answers, would you know anything about state intrastate claims?

In Hawaii they have you file for unemployment here and you collect, even though you're going to another state. Now, I know if you go to another state they just ask you to update them on where you actually live. If I factor in what you are saying about 6 month in-state residency requirements, how does that work? It seems like this state would still send my unemployment compensation as it wouldn't matter to them if I was in my HOR or Alaska.

Edit: I also re-read your description on Unemployment benefits. I had no idea it was like that, thanks for clearing that up. Another little tiny thing they could have made realistically clear in the TP.

Thanks again,

Ian

Last edited by Titan_Killer_Ehren; 09-23-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Not all diesel engines are large, cars are going that direction too. My nephew enrolled in PCC's auto mechanics courses, got a job at Costco's tire shop. He was then moved into the store and is now a 'Red Vest' (supervisor) at Costco and making enough to support a family. He is now working on a 4-year degree. That said, the field may not interest you.

Whatever you do DO NOT enroll in those for-profit programs.

Have you considered becoming an electrician? IBEW is strong in both Portland and Seattle. They requiring passing a test to get on the Apprentice list, they do have a low voltage (and lower pay) craft that you may be able to slide into with your current skills.

Not everyone can, or should, enroll in a 4-year university program. Focus on what you can learn that pays well. Whatever you do skills needs will change so be prepared for life-long learning.

You have mentioned community colleges, also look at: Oregon Institute of Technology

Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
The only thing that made me mad was the last part about trying to fudge the numbers and the idea that transitioning and becoming a student was a good time to buy a home or condo.

I tried to get some better answers for you since I tend to get stuff stuck in my head and go off on a tangent.

I can not help you with unemployment. I did not recieve it or apply for it. I asked the program director of the Veterans Outreach Center and he had no clue about unemployment becuase every state handles it different. He said coming from Hawaii to Oregon may be advantageous and you may be able to claim a pretty decent unemployment. He said contact Hawaii's unemployment agency. Most of the people I know got out in AZ or Texas which are low paying states with tons of red-tape. It also depends on what state you claimed on your W-2. Some people had H.O.Rs that were different from the state they claimed on taxes and the state they separated on so you will need a pro. Also, I am not correct about expending unemployment. Again, it's so convoluted only an expert can help you and there is no simple solution. Since most of my friends were officers and we all got vol sep pay, no one bothered with unemployment. The actual amount you are eligible to receive depends on the earnings in your base year. You can get up to a year of benefits, but I was told that school attendence messes it up because they say well you are going to shchool not loking for work. Again, take it with a grain of salt but but this is the reason im telling you to hold on to the money. So many people do hours of internet research and forum talk only to find out it's on a case by case basis. oh oh.... now I remember what it was that made unemployment unattractive....You'll have to attend mandatory weekly WorkSource workshops. I remember a vet lamenting that he had major issues with WorkSource and school. I can't elaborate, but they do that to discourage you from being on UI, also if they place you with an employer you will have to go to interview (it's mandatory) or get cut off. I'm not 100% sure on specifics, but these are things that you can't plan for.

Also, I found out residency requirement is only for 4 year colleges or masters programs. 2 year colleges (like PCC) require no residency restrictions. So you are smart to do the CC route. Then after 6 months youll be an Oregonian and the sky is the limit as far as ch33.

Quote:

I understand the breakdown of the cost of living, I'm not dumb.
I don't think you are dumb. What I'm telling you is I don't know how many people come into the VOCs or the College Vet offices and are ranting and raving about not being able to pay bills. These are smart kids/adults with budget plans but they don't realize how sporadic the pay really is. Some months you get $4k (begining of quarter months) and some months you get less than $500 (end of quarter months.) They all think they have it figured out until they miss a deadline they may not have even known about for the VA or the College financial Aid office. I comend you for having 25k and that's great. Hold on to it save it for the many rainy days ahead (both literally and figuratively.)

Also, they don't tell transitioning members this, but you can get a hardship waiver to override FAFSA income reporting. So ask for it. So many people that were able to recieve Pell grants didn't because FAFSA told them they were ineligible due to having "high" income. The made 30k the previous year and FAFSA said, nope you made too much, no fin aid. The college fain aid office is the ultimate authority on pell grants. Also, don't switch states for school. A lot of kids who lived in Battle Ground WA, went to Clark, then transfered to PSU. Because they were WA residents they got the 30 county border project waiver but they could not get any of the easy scholarships they hand out like candy. Since the VA covers tuition the scholarship money comes back to you. Also, don't take the subsidized loans, some vets got in trouble with those. We tell them just don't borrow any money period. It's tempting because it has no interest, but they come after it hard when it isn't paid back on time, some people lost their ed benefits.

I think it will be a lot different than you think it will be during transition. I left the military thinking that civillians were harder workers and civillian companies were super effeicent and got rid of those who did not pull their weight. I'm sad to report it's not true. I have a BSME and I work with engineers who overthink everything, are painfully slow and super lazy. I also work with the cast of duck dynasty (machinists, well operators), they tell tall tales and are less intelligent than the average 12 year old. . I started out a community college then transitioned to 4 year univesity under an old program that commisioned airmen if they were **** hot and went to college. So PCC is the best way to go. Sounds like you have college under your belt. The problem with that is like I mentioned before, prerequisites are usually the fillers that allow you to get the max number of credits for the max amount of benefits. Go to PCCs website and read up on admissions, financial aid, read up on programs, look at class schedules, make sure that you can take a good enough class load. Many vets actually screwed themselves out of benefits by showing the college thier old transcripts. Say one quarter is like ENGR101 for 5 cr and ENGR 102 for 4 cr and ENGR 111 for 4 credits. your cool. that's 12 credits. But they design programs around the prerequesits. So the next quarter they offer ENGR113 for 3 cr ENGR115 for 4 credits and then ENGR 117 for 3 credits.
thats 10 credits, that is not full time its probably 3/4 time so all of your benifits get slashed by 25%. Now because you have finished ENGL101 or 102 you can't take that to boost you to 12+ credits and if you have taken too much MATH ahead of time you cant take a MATH to bost credits either. Most tech programs only require college trig. and english 101. So if you are higher than that already you need to decide whether you want maximum benefit or fastest time out to market. That's for you to decide. I actually tell kids if they have like Intermediate Algerbra and ENG 101, dont report it to the shcool. Because I looked at his degree plan and there were tons of quarters where the Major area requirements were way short on credits. Were talking half time. So had he not stonewalled telling the college about his past classes he would have had several quarters where he would have got half pay/half pell grant/ and been inelgible for workstudy programs.

You sound like a hard charger, but I still think you need to sit on on your nest egg and incubate it a bit longer. Whats better than a house and no savings?....... paying cash for a place in 2 years.

Also, about PCC and why I don't advocate attending PCC.... PCC has 5+ campuses. It's the biggest college system in Oregon. Depending on your program, and your shedule, you could be screwed into driving across town just for class. There was one guy doing aviation maint to get his A and P and that program is at Rock Creek on the far west side. So he got an apartment in Tigard. Well later he found out that the only classes that he needed and fit his schedule were at the Cascade (NE portland) campus only. The next quarter he had to leave mid day at Rock Creek and drive to SE campus. Oh and, PARKING. Parking is a *****, because Portland believes cars are evil there are very few parking spots at PCC campuses. I personally advocate Clackamas Community College, it has one campus with everything under one roof and ample parking. I suggest you check it out before you commit to PCC. You mention nothing about sustainable walkable, so I asume you use a car like a normal person, be aware the parking is abysmal. I have heard stories of fist fights over parking spaces at PCC Cascade. I believe it, I parked on a side street 5 blocks away last time I went to Cascade.

I know this stuff because I am the guy who recruits grads from local schoold to come be machine operators or machinists at our company. I offer the internships and I talk to the interns and prospects pertty in depth. I also serve as represenative from my company when we give input to technical programs at colleges. I'm quite familiar with the CC technical programs.

This post is too long now and littered with typos so i'll stop now.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 09-24-2014 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: now everyone can see how well I spell without a spell checker

Old 09-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Nell: Thanks so much for the additional feedback. I tend to have a negative disposition towards the mechanic industry in general as I know a lot of people get stuck (usually of their own accord) in dead-end positions. Grandpas ending up finally owning a shop and making 0 returns. That's my experience from the smaller side of things, less on commercial/bigger grade shops or contracting. I guess I've always scared myself from industry work as I feel like being young an able you don't think of doing that kind of work/management when your older and suddently it gets old and redundant (as well as hard to keep up if you're still putting your hands on things). That's why I guess I'm sort of leaning toward the technology bubble and poking my head in there.

I'd have to disagree with you on the diesel aspect, I haven't been in the know for a while but I do remember Europe frantically trying to push forward on diesel systems and ending up being defeated and going back to conventional types. They are more fuel effecient, and compared to the first diesel models, they don't sound like fighter jets and handle like a bus. VW current model diesels actually ride quite nice.

I think the market is still going for electric vehicles even though it has been very slow progress, they are actually manuf. production line vehicles at an affordable cost (such as the Nissan Leaf). However, there are many limitations, I believe, due to the complexity of Lith. batt. and the problem of creating charging stations (they actually do an amazing job in Hawaii, but the whole island is basically a small and easily controlled city).

But, I'm probably completely wrong as I don't have much hands-on experience in the industry. Man I babble. Anyway, I just don't feel like the diesel industry sounds all that exciting to me. I'm not the type of person that takes money over interest I guess. But I do know that OIT is a very good school, and if I do decide to further myself they pretty much have the best programs in the area.

It's funny you mentioned electrician, or I believe trades, but those were something I was considering as it helps me get into the market faster and I really like the idea of being an apprentice and going through training pipelines (why I consider 2-years, VOC, and CC type of schools). However, I think it takes too long to complete the journeyman training and I don't feel like dealing with the strict requirements and union specifics. They seem to want people who are 100%, and you should probably be that way if you're spending 5+ years just to train.

Auto mechanics have just always interested me as I just really like cars. I'm just a bit nervous about trying to step my foot in the door. How do your friends/ co-workers like the industry?

Andy: Thanks again for your input, I feel like we are entirely on the same page. As far as unemployment goes, usually as enlisted people don't plan ahead and we aren't given severance, it's a very good insurance against yourself. I would rather just jump into a job but I'm learning to take things as they go and give it time (part of transitioning I guess).

Thanks for pointing out the work-source problem, I pretty much loathe that idea as I feel that, realistically, it seems like more of a pain to try and get in the mindset of applying for a job, while at the same time focusing on what I want to do with my life. Honestly maybe UE just won't be for me, I just like to plan ahead for all the outcomes and have plenty of insurance. As far as filling with HOR, I honestly don't remember becuase I always used Turbotax and they were good about automatically fixing any kind of disruptions (with their "millitary edition" or w/e it's called). However, I believe I have claimed FL as my HOR for the 6 years I've been in.

I actually thought I was the only guy that knew CH33 guys could apply for FAFSA, and in turn, Pell Grants. I didn't know about the hardship waiver though, I'll have to look into that.

As with the other college statements, yes, I did try and pursue an AA in general studies at a legitimate school (an actual local college, not the thomas edison or w/e other Pheonix U. type "fake colleges"). But you are right, in the long run I figured out too late it's better to finish a degree than to rack up any credits at all. And as exactly in your case, I have plenty of math I took, almost jumping into calc. but I didn't. So, even though I thought it was a good idea, it wasn't. I say that because with something like math (at least for me), you have to be consistent in your studies. If you lag too much between courses there won't be any retained knowledge and you'll just want to start over on the yellow brick road, relearning as you go along instead of struggling. That being said, I have a friend who is totally fine with getting CLEP books and running that route; personally, it just doesn't work for me as I like to be in a classroom environment (also why I hate online classes).

I think I've totally decided on renting, it does seem completely ignorant to try to jump into hot water like that.

As for PCC, you point out a lot of good things. I do a lot of Google maps and "virtual" searching while looking up schools, trying to figure out exactly how commuting, living, and attending all factor in as if I was living there. For example, some courses (such as wireless comm) are mainly at a certain campus. So, I would want to make sure I understand that campus and the logistics of things before I decide where I want to live. At least, I think I'm being smart.. For instance I'm totally against living in cheap Vancouver and north east of Portland, because I foresee a lot of issues with commuting any distance along the major highways into the southwest (where many of the campuses I want to attend are) due to the large amount of congestion and possible accidents I think takes place of everyone trying to cross waterways, etc.

Honestly, I'm really just trying to make firm decisions of WHERE I want to go. Really need a general Idea of where I'm shipping my car and household goods which can be quite difficult as I jump around. I know climate-wise the northwest appeals to me, I keep jumping from WA to OR to parts of ID. However, I really think Oregon has everything I'm looking for. It just seems a little more friendly than WA (from the people I've met and probed about), as well as having better choices in short-term CCs, unlike WA which has amazing 4 years, but lackluster CC structure. Last night I was very interested in the Bend area looking at COC. I don't really need a night-life and I'm not a Chicago/LA/NYC kind of person. As far as that goes, I don't mind commuting for the weekend outings, I don't generally hit the scene any more.

Guess I kind of gravitated to Portland as it seems like a city but not too city-like, especially living outside the concentrated areas. Also it seems better in terms of being near a bigger city as statistically there are more jobs but I could be wrong. Also, for their EET option at PCC they are really the only ones I've found that have decent paths to the Communications/Electronics route. They also have Fiber optic training certificates which I think helps me become more marketable in that skill set. Then again, I could also join right into the private sector and do the job I'm training for and get a little lower wage.

It's really all up in the air, especially as one of my co-workers offered me a job with training to be QA/project manager with very attractive pay. Not really sure about that but almost annoying the options I have.

Thanks again for your replies and sorry If I rant a little bit.

Take care

Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM

I just don't want you to enroll in a program that doesn't deliver what you are seeking. By throwing out some career paths with a journeyman track at least you will have thought about them.

I would like you to consider the programs at OIT, or at least talked to them about foundational classes at PCC, as their graduates I have heard are highly sought after and your military experience could be leveraged.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM

I really do appreciate your concern and candor. It's hard to put into words my interests because I have a split personality between two different jobs I'm interested in.

I would like to attend OIT, however I'm really not a fan of going to school for 3/4 years.

This is something I would be interested in (would actually follow up with job offer but I have not heard anything but average/bad feelings about the company and not recommended).

https://mastecnetworksolutions-openh...r=992475&aid=1

This is something I feel I could really be interested in, and translates extremely well from my millitary NEC and experience.

I'd like something in communications/microwave/radar technology dealing with cell towers and other things of that nature.

PCC is the only college I've seen with a program like this. I haven't checked out OIT, maybe they will as well.

If I could find a job of this nature I would probably put off school, but I'd rather go to school now while I have no commitments.

I'll look a little better at OIT, thanks again for your help!

Ian

Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 AM

Now I'm just getting pushed around. Apparently as of a 2014 statute, basically all electrical.electronics technicians of any sort need to have their LME. This requires two years of apprenticeship before you can even take the test.. Seems a little ridiculous to me. Does anyone have any information on this? I've read that people cannot hire without it as the state does frequent inspections on employers and they have to show proof of certification.

Unless the EET programs offered at PCC are considered for apprenticeship, it doesn't really make any sense why you would attend a 2 year degree, just to be turned around to apprentice for 2 years and then finally take your test so you can start your job..

If anyone knows what I'm rambling about or has dealings with this I'd appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland