Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM

338 posts, read 421,236 times

Advertisements

My bet's riding on Birmingham, AL. (What does the governor think?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
My bet's riding on Birmingham, AL. (What does the governor think?)
I don't know but I hope Neil Young will remember that a real southern man don't need him around anyhow...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I think Bellingham or Everett will be the next 'cool' west coast destination.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think Bellingham or Everett will be the next 'cool' west coast destination.
I think Bellingham might already be at that point. I've stopped there when I go up to Mt. Baker over the last few years and downtown and other central commercial areas seem pretty hip these days(and prices are going way up).

Everett, I don't know, it seems like a blue collar suburb that's filling up with more people from Seattle or Boeing workers that's sort of changing, but still more into a nicer suburban feel.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
How about Albany, Oregon?

It has a nice looking, though economically empty downtown sitting right on the Willamette, it's close to OSU and the coast, it sits right on I205, it's two hours from Portland and Eugene, the weather there is decent, and there seems to be plenty of space around it to develop.

It's just sitting there waiting for something big to happen.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-29-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
How about Albany, Oregon?

It has a nice looking, though economically empty downtown sitting right on the Willamette, it's close to OSU and the coast, it sits right on I205, it's two hours from Portland and Eugene, the weather there is decent, and there seems to be plenty of space around it to develop.

It's just sitting there waiting for something big to happen.
Honestly, I've always thought that Albany was a diamond in the rough. You have to be pretty selective about where you live (I have friends who had a stream of next door neighbors, the next ones worse than the last--junk cars on the front lawns, etc.). But it's definitely less expensive than Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem. Heck, it might be cheaper to live in Albany than it is to live in Lebanon!

The downtown is definitely funky and awaiting rejuvenation, but the buildings are pretty much original. River Rhythms (say that 3 times fast!) is a great event every summer: River Rhythms Summer Concert Series. Several years ago I saw Suzanne Vega there (just a bit after the "Luka" years).

Old 10-29-2014, 01:55 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:

it sits right on I205, it's two hours from Portland and Eugene,
Both typos, presumably?

I'm pretty skeptical on Albany. What sector of the economy is likely to boom in that section of the valley? It has most of the limitations Eugene/Corvallis do, but without having the luxury of a university or even a mid-sized airport. I think it will probably improve a bit, but I don't see a major transformation happening any time soon.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I don't think Albany will be hip in my lifetime.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
205 is a typo, two hours from Portland or Eugene is somewhat realistic with traffic conditions the way they are, give or take 15 to 20 minutes.

I am taking into effect miles from a residence inside the city, not just the I5 highway miles.

70 miles from Portland, 50 miles from Eugene, OK?

Albany pretty much sits in the middle of those two cities.
Not quite, but almost.

And as far as Albany booming, who knows what might happen in the future?
Mid Valley is ripe for the picking.

Portland is getting way to expensive, cars are getting better gas mileage, people may not mind the drive to Portland for work, Corvallis and OSU is right next door, there is plenty of flat land to build the industrial complexes that Beaverton/Hillsboro have currently, etc.

Remember that Albany is much more than just an ugly narrow strip along I5.

You never know!

But I also agree that Albany will never be "hip" in my lifetime either.
It may boom, but will probably never be hip and cool the way Portland used to be.

It's a possibility, but.................the more I think about it...............nah, never mind.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-29-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
205 is a typo, two hours from Portland or Eugene is somewhat realistic with traffic conditions the way they are, give or take 15 to 20 minutes.

I am taking into effect miles from a residence inside the city, not just the I5 highway miles.

70 miles from Portland, 50 miles from Eugene, OK?

Albany pretty much sits in the middle of those two cities.
Not quite, but almost.
I see your point on Portland, particularly in afternoons, and esp. if travelling from north or northeast where you have to run the gauntlet just to get to/from Wilsonville.

I tend to pick my times to make that run down from Portland so it's more in the 75-90 minute range though, and I live way out in northeast.

The Eugene-Albany run doesn't have nearly the traffic implications unless there's a duck/beaver game, and the speed is zoned at 65 north of the McKenzie (thus pretty safe to run at 69-74). Most of the time it's pretty safe to say you can get from almost anywhere in Eugene to Albany in roughly 50 minutes outside the very peak of afternoon rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland