Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The Kaiser is in Hillsboro, about 20 min away. It is Brand New and gorgeous!
It is a nice facility. But I'd say 20 min is a pretty generous assessment given the likelihood of congestion on 99W/217/26.

Going the back way up Roy Rogers avoids some of the congestion, but unless you're really speeding (and hitting all the lights green) 30 min is going to be much more typical than 20 [and in the afternoons I'd plan for 40].

Still, I'd wager the back way is a slightly more pleasant drive if you aren't making the trip in some sort of medical distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
If you have substantial assets in a 401k or IRA, Oregon is not for you. You will have to pay income tax on all withdrawals. You would be better off in Washington, where there is no income tax.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 17,671 times
Thank you Harpaint. This is really helpful as well. I'm getting such great responses. So glad I joined this group.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 17,671 times
Thank you Larry. I only wish I had substantial assets, but I'm afraid that's not the case for me.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
What sort of budget are you on?

The other facility I'm near a lot is this one: Northeast Portland Affordable Senior Living Community | The Heights at Columbia Knoll in Portland, OR 97220

But it looks like a 1BR is still about $850, and possible it's 62+. It's convenient to the Grotto and Rocky Butte, as well as the Indian Buffet, and the various east Asian options down 82nd and/or Sandy. Short hop to the airport as well.

82nd and Sandy was a fairly dubious area a decade ago (more for prostitution than violence) but it's gentrified quite a bit recently.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 29,222 times
Smile Manufactured Homes, Salem Area, 55+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Kaiser is also located in the Salem, Keizer area with a new clinic being built right of I-5 in Keizer, I think the rule for using Kaiser is you must be within 50 miles of a clinic..
Look at Salem, Silverton, Keizer, Dallas and more of the small towns in northern Marion county..you will find the rain and cool weather very easy to deal with it..we came up here from Fairfield Ca and have never looked back...Can't help on the apartment living, we are in a 55 plus manufactured home park in Salem..
Come up for a visit..
Hello Mamh! I'm currently living in Ireland but will likely return to live in the States w/in 6-9 months. Considering buying a mfg. home in a 55+ community and have been looking at Salem area. Any tips/thoughts for me? I find this forum rather tedious as people tend to go off on LONG tangents having little or nothing to do with the subject (one wonders what else they are doing with their time - ??) so hoping making an inquiry to your specific post will help. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland