U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM

107 posts, read 186,246 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing a thread where some folks here suggested different ways to travel to Seattle from Portland by train (or Bolt bus, etc.). I think I'm pretty set on the idea of the train. Would that be Amtrak? If I get on a MAX train near where I live and get off at the Portland Union Station, the Amtrak station is really in the same station, no? Does the Business Class section on Cascade line have bathrooms? Happen to know if they are wheelchair accessible? What are some of the more reasonably priced hotels near the Amtrak station in Seattle? Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM

6,738 posts, read 14,458,225 times
Look up Amtrak's schedule on line - you want to take one of Amtrak Cascades trains and NOT the Coast Starlight, which is the train from LA to Seattle. Plus you will want to book ahead to get one of the wheelchair accessible seats, as they will be in an area that has wheelchair-accessible bathrooms. Amtrak's regular bathrooms are a lot like an airliner's bathroom - not exactly roomy.

But, yes, Max will drop you off right across the street from Union Station.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:04 PM

107 posts, read 186,246 times
Great points! Thank you.

Do you know if the Bolt Bus makes any stops on its way from Portland to Seattle?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:38 AM

9,797 posts, read 15,778,135 times
My look at their site indicates that northbound from Portland they stop in Seattle and Bellingham. Nothing between Portland and Seattle.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,392,591 times
I have taken the Bolt Bus to Seattle before and it didn't make any stops along the way. The busses have bathrooms but they aren't wheelchair accessible.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,118 posts, read 49,894,215 times
There are no reasonably priced hotels near the Amtrak station in Seattle, in fact there are no hotels near it. The Silver Cloud
by the stadiums is the closest and is at about $160+ in the off-season. You will probably want to stay farther out and take a cab or bus to the station.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:04 AM

3,377 posts, read 2,083,290 times
I have taken Amtrak from Los Angeles to Portland 6 times. With a wheel chair they will put you in the bottom level, there is a upper level where most of the seats are. There are several small bathrooms and one big bathroom you can roll your wheelchair into and the bathrooms are on the bottom level.
Go to Amtraks site to buy your tickets. One train goes up and one down everyday. They have ramps for each car so you can roll your wheel chair up into the car and they will help you. There is a place also on the bottom level where you can keep your suitcase if you don't want to check it.
You'll likely enjoy the train, I do. Bring stuff to eat or snacks. Train personnel will buy stuff for you from the snack car but it costs more of coarse than if you bring your own. Enjoy the passing view.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM

My issue with the Coast Starlight (the train that runs from LA) is that by the time it arrives in Portland it is often late, very late, and needs a deep clean. Southbound out of Seattle to Portland is usually on time.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,383,628 times
Great suggestions, everyone. I myself am planning a vacation in the area this Summer, and plan on probably taking the Amtrak train from Portland to Seattle mid-way through my trip - I'm guessing this is a better option than the Bolt Bus - if only because trains don't have to contend with traffic, etc.

Do the folks who live in the area (or who have taken Amtrak) suggest getting tickets in advance for this train? I'm travelling alone, and can sit anywhere. Thanks in advance for any info. on this

Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM

You want the Cascades train. Rarely are ALL the seats sold out but like the Bolt Bus they use demand pricing.

The train station is in the southern part of the downtown area. You will want to take a local bus to Seattle's attractions... they aren't really in walking distance (except for the Bainbridge/Bremerton Ferry dock).

In Portland the Bolt Bus doesn't use the Greyhound Bus Terminal (which is socially problematic). The Portland terminus of the Bolt Bus is in a nice part of the downtown convenient to the Portland Mall. The Seattle Bolt Bus stop may be more convenient to where you are going in Seattle.

Yes the bus can be impacted by traffic but sometimes the train is as well.

I love to take the train because I can move around, buy a snack and socialize. I also know downtown Seattle (and have a 'senior' ID for their transit system) so the train would be my first choice. However, a true tourist should at least take a look at where the Bolt stops and consider what they want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or