Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times

Advertisements

I see a good number of cars and trucks with all the windows heavily tinted except the windshield. Who would do this in such a cloudy climate with weak daylight in winter months? I get the impression drivers are trying to hide something inside. Common explanation are that it "looks cool" or gives overall privacy.

In the summer I can buy the excuse that it cuts interior heat but that's not most of the year. At night I think it's dangerous to reduce your outward visibility. A lot of the tint jobs look illegally dark, though some may be from out of state. It just look generally thuggy to me. What do others say?

From http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/v...t_brochure.pdf

Why are dark tinted windows a safety concern?

Dark tinted windows make it very difficult for law enforcement to view the inside of cars during traffic stops.
Unlawful motorists may try to conceal weapons behind the tinted glass, putting police officers at grave risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 AM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Folks with good vision can see perfectly well out of legally tinted car windows, and blocking UV and IR as well as summer heat has all kinds of advantages. It's worth noting, though, that you can actually cut down on all three using tint that's barely visible to the naked eye (so much so that you can put it on a windshield and not get a ticket) but most folks don't wanna shell out the extra money or deal with the extra difficult application of the really good 3M stuff.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/6...20Brochure.pdf

Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 AM

684 posts, read 811,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I see a good number of cars and trucks with all the windows heavily tinted except the windshield. Who would do this in such a cloudy climate with weak daylight in winter months? I get the impression drivers are trying to hide something inside. Common explanation are that it "looks cool" or gives overall privacy.

In the summer I can buy the excuse that it cuts interior heat but that's not most of the year. At night I think it's dangerous to reduce your outward visibility. A lot of the tint jobs look illegally dark, though some may be from out of state. It just look generally thuggy to me. What do others say?

From http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/v...t_brochure.pdf

Why are dark tinted windows a safety concern?

Dark tinted windows make it very difficult for law enforcement to view the inside of cars during traffic stops.
Unlawful motorists may try to conceal weapons behind the tinted glass, putting police officers at grave risk.

Really? So if someone wears baggy pants are they considered thugs in your eyes? This is 2014 get with it. You should maybe worry about yourself rather then others trying to look cool in your eyes.

I have had tints on ALL my vehicles living in NJ, same weather. I did it more for privacy , keeping UV rays out , bright head lights , and keeping the vehicle cooler in the summers. We have legal tint percentages and most cops dont have issues with it unless you have limo tint , now that was illegal to have in NJ.

Anyone trying to conceal a weapon in a vehicle and commit a crime has nothing to do with tinted windows , they will do it in any car with or without tints. Also that is a risk police sign up for, is dealing with day to day stops that may put your life at risk, just like our soldiers , or just like anything else. Also any state that allows you to carry a weapon in a car must be concealed, so no most people wont drive around with a gun sitting in their lap. Stop living in a world of fear, its not as bad as you think

Last edited by MiaMia411; 11-05-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 11:31 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
I'm not a fan, in general, even though I appreciate the various reasons why someone would want to tint their own windows for personal benefit.

Tinting significantly blocks vision (not surprisingly, since it's designed to block light), especially if you're in a vehicle that rides lower. I do most of my driving in a intermediate size car, and if there are SUVs with tinting in front or alongside me, my visibility is greatly reduced in those directions.

If there are parked vehicles with tinting at a corner, it can be much harder to see oncoming traffic; approaching a crosswalk it can be more challenging to see if there are kids moving towards the crosswalk, etc.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 PM

684 posts, read 811,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'm not a fan, in general, even though I appreciate the various reasons why someone would want to tint their own windows for personal benefit.

Tinting significantly blocks vision (not surprisingly, since it's designed to block light), especially if you're in a vehicle that rides lower. I do most of my driving in a intermediate size car, and if there are SUVs with tinting in front or alongside me, my visibility is greatly reduced in those directions.

If there are parked vehicles with tinting at a corner, it can be much harder to see oncoming traffic; approaching a crosswalk it can be more challenging to see if there are kids moving towards the crosswalk, etc.
I get what you are saying but your claim is laughable , I have never had such a problem that you describe with other vehicles having tints . So then we might as well ban and make 18 wheelers illegal too huh since they block visibility worse then any tinted car .

If the car is causing that much of a visibility issue then more then likely the car is probably parked illegally at the corner since most areas you can't park at a corner such as the claims you make. Has common sense and good judgement been non existent ? You need to learn how to drive and be aware of your surroundings then trying to blame tinted windows being a problem.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Contemporary crossovers, SUVs, vans and hatchbacks have the rear windows and rear windshield glass tinted by default.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM

609 posts, read 807,925 times
I say we keep our noses out of everybody else's business and let them to their windows.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
i have really dark tint on a car we bought in arizona and brought here. I like having the tint, it's harder for people to see stuff inside my car and its nice if you have kids in the backseat. if my mom-mobile looks thuggy to you, then...ok!

if it's truly that big of a safety issue they'd probably ticket people for it regularly.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:05 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
I get what you are saying but your claim is laughable , I have never had such a problem that you describe with other vehicles having tints . So then we might as well ban and make 18 wheelers illegal too huh since they block visibility worse then any tinted car .

If the car is causing that much of a visibility issue then more then likely the car is probably parked illegally at the corner since most areas you can't park at a corner such as the claims you make. Has common sense and good judgement been non existent ? You need to learn how to drive and be aware of your surroundings then trying to blame tinted windows being a problem.
Perhaps I'm more aware of what I'm not able to see than you are? I am aware of my surroundings, and I'm aware that tinting sometimes forces me to make adjustments.

Box vans are more problematic in my mind than 18 wheelers, but sure, they also block visibility. The difference is that trailer and box trucks are necessary for, you know, moving stuff around a modern road system.

Tinting on a personal vehicle, by and large, is largely a vanity item.

Edit - FWIW, I never said it's a horrible crisis that must be remedied by legislation, only that all things considered, I don't prefer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: