U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
416 posts, read 635,427 times
Reputation: 493

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
it doesnt have a rich vibe like a cali city
Having moved from the San Francisco area, I consider this a HUGE benefit for Portland.

California's cities and their "vibes" are not a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
604 posts, read 533,185 times
Reputation: 759
I think it has more to do with San Francisco being an international city and portland in it's provincial bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,056 posts, read 25,607,407 times
Reputation: 7813
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I think it has more to do with San Francisco being an international city and portland in it's provincial bubble.
That is something I am actually okay with. Seattle can be the international city of the northwest, Portland works best as that localized city of the northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
 
1,376 posts, read 814,549 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
Yeah, they've been saying that for decades. If they haven't started making headway by now, forget it.

Know what Woody Guthrie said about Portland clear back in the 1930s?That was about 80 years ago.

Quote:
"Portland is a place where rich ones run away to settle down and grow flowers and shrubbery to hide them from the massacres they've caused. Portland is the rose garden town where the red, brown, blackshirt cops ride up and down to show you their finest horses and saddles and gunmetal. Mentally Portland is the deadest spot you ever walked through. She's a good 30 years behind Seattle".
Too bad some things never change.
A famous quote, but you should at least explain the context behind it. Woody was in part angry that the Portland cops arrested him for vagrancy. His quote was further criticizing Portland for not being more conservative and less open to socialism than Seattle in the 1930s.

How many of the Portlanders on here are upset that Portland doesn't have more socialist leanings today?

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 11-17-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Portland OR
1,692 posts, read 2,407,142 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
A famous quote, but you should at least explain the context behind it. Woody was in part angry that the Portland cops arrested him for vagrancy. His quote was further criticizing Portland for not being more conservative and less open to socialism than Seattle in the 1930s.

How many of the Portlanders on here are upset that Portland doesn't have more socialist leanings today?

Umm - why would one be upset? Do you think Socialism is good? Pretty weird thought.


More to your point though, Portland does have Socialist leanings. Look at how Portland and Multnomah County continue to screw up Oregon by sending the same old whacky lefty nut jobs to Salem and Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM
 
1,376 posts, read 814,549 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Umm - why would one be upset? Do you think Socialism is good? Pretty weird thought.

More to your point though, Portland does have Socialist leanings. Look at how Portland and Multnomah County continue to screw up Oregon by sending the same old whacky lefty nut jobs to Salem and Washington DC.
I was just providing the context of the quote. Perhaps Ratchetjaw is an ardent socialist and that's what they were trying to get across. I don't know them personally, so I have no idea...

So maybe Woody Guthrie would be happier with the more socialist-leaning Portland of today--is that what you'd like to discuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 12,696,584 times
Reputation: 25745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
A famous quote, but you should at least explain the context behind it. Woody was in part angry that the Portland cops arrested him for vagrancy. His quote was further criticizing Portland for not being more conservative and less open to socialism than Seattle in the 1930s.

How many of the Portlanders on here are upset that Portland doesn't have more socialist leanings today?
And who wants Portland to be another Seattle, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM
 
421 posts, read 281,882 times
Reputation: 832
Oregon has a rep for being slightly layed back. Our governor Tom McCall, who held office from 1967-1975 had the attitude "Come for a visit then leave!" Like many Oregonians he was opposed to "Californicating" Oregon. There were bumper stickers, political buttons ETC...with this same attitude, which still thrives today. Natives like the rain. We can paddle through mud puddles with our bare webbed feet. Change and progress still will not be restrained ,but Oregonians keep an eye out for rampant change, which keeps us resistant and resilient.

Last edited by portlandphi; 11-17-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,056 posts, read 25,607,407 times
Reputation: 7813
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post
Oregon has a rep for being slightly layed back. Our governor Tom McCall, who held office from 1967-1975 had the attitude "Come for a visit then leave!" Like many Oregonians he was opposed to "Californicating" Oregon. There were bumper stickers, political buttons ETC...with this same attitude, which still thrives today. Natives like the rain. We can paddle through mud puddles with our bare webbed feet. Change and progress still will not be restrained ,but Oregonians keep an eye out for rampant change, which keeps us resistant and resilient.
I like to tell people it always rains here and is very depressing to keep them from moving here. I think it is important to keep that myth alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM
 
892 posts, read 1,980,795 times
Reputation: 832
I just saw a bitcoin ATM in the Pioneer Place mall. Portland may be "stuck" in many things but the past is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top