Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,361 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm considering moving to Portland but I'm not sure because I've never been to portland. Of course once I have decided, I will be visiting prior to lay out all the details so I guess that'll give me a better picture.

I'm from NYC and wanting a slower, more laid back lifestyle.
I'm 30 and female
What is the cost of living if I were to rent a 1br Apt?
How is the atmosphere and people?
How is the weather?
If I did move, can I get around on public transportation?
And if a car is a better option, what's the average car insurance cost (never been in a accident or tickets)?
And what are some areas I should look into for apartment hunting?
Also how is the asian community? I'm asian and I'm wondering if I'll stick out like a sore thumb..

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,606,598 times
Most of your questions can't be answered until you provide some specifics about what you're looking for, what you want, what job you'll do, what your budget will be, etc.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:09 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,666,248 times
You can easily check craigslist, apartment renting sites, etc to see what the cost of apartments are.
COL = numberous sites that lay out the cost of living with comparisons to your current city.
Weather info: available online

When I was planning my move to Portland, I spent 2 weeks in Portland looking at neighborhoods, using public transportation, looking at apartments, etc.
I kept a weather app of Portland on my phone and checked it every day.

I would imagine, that if you are able to survive in such an expensive place as NYC, that you'll do alright in PDX once you find work.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,001,409 times
Most people from NYC tend to love Portland when they move here. But I would definitely visit first before making that choice, also keep in mind where your friends and family live because that could play a part in whether you enjoy living in Portland or not.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,433,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaNutBread View Post
What is the cost of living if I were to rent a 1br Apt?
This will depend on the part of town you live in. A 1 BR downtown is going to be more than a 1 BR in the 'burbs.

Quote:
If I did move, can I get around on public transportation?
Yes.

Quote:
And if a car is a better option, what's the average car insurance cost (never been in a accident or tickets)?
Depends on the type of car. I currently pay about $84/mo for a 2010 Mazda3, which is a little more than I was paying for a 2006 BMW 325i, which was slightly less expensive to insure than a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer was.

Quote:
And what are some areas I should look into for apartment hunting?
Those closest to where you will be working, unless you either work for home or want to spend a couple of hours each day commuting.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM

605 posts, read 700,798 times
Hi BananaNutBread, I sent you a PM regarding some of your questions, as I am in a similar situation as yourself - but I already have made the decision to move to the Portland area and wanted to share some of my insights to you.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:49 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,464,031 times
BananaNutBread, we have two care sharing companies in Portland Metro: Car2Go and ZipCar. In addition Enterprise-Rent-a Car sometimes has deals on the weekend.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:35 PM

421 posts, read 407,993 times
I would like to second what Urbanlife said. Most people I have met from the east coast are very pleased with the different, more relaxed and friendly pace.I would always recommend NW PORTLAND for a young person. It's within walking distance to
downtown, many shops, many decent rentals(apartments), borders the "arts" district,well linked to transport, is home to "Forest Park" and just lots of ...

Old 12-07-2014, 04:41 PM

421 posts, read 407,993 times
Oh and about being Asian...Not really an issue.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,587,900 times
While not as dominant a force in Portland as in Vancouver BC, you're not going to stand out in Portland for being Asian.

I'd say the bright side is that there's a disproportionate amount of Asian cuisine (though I'd love to have a good Sri Lankan place in town) compared to the actual racial demographics, and there's not really any one country of origin that dominates.

I don't get downtown much, but on the west side there's a fairly heavy presence of east/south Asians (at least in part due to the presence of Intel) and in southeast it skews towards east asians. Though in my experience quite a few of the Asians who run restaurants in and around the 'Jade District' actually live across the river in WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: