Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

I am just at the very beginning stages of a divorce in CT and think I would like to move to Portland or Beaverton when things are finalized. I will be a young 70. I've visited briefly twice and feel that I could be happy here after I meet some new people and learn my way around.

I'm initially from NY but have lived in Ireland, PA and now here for the past twenty three years.

I thought it best to rent an unfurnished apartment for six months before I made a final move to a furnished apartment on hopefully, a long term basis. I seem unable to find any. Naturally, I would like to live in a safe area, close to transportation and other amenities but haven't a clue where to begin. Money will be a problem so the rent has to be reasonable, hopefully not much more than $800 a month.

I'm very much a people person and make friends easily. I take Tai Chi, love theater and film, dining out with friends, love animals etc. Did quite a bit of acting in my day and some modelling.

My realtor here could probably put me in touch with one in Portland but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Looking forward to hearing from as many people as possible with suggestions.

Sufri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,611,714 times
Try Station Place Tower in the Pearl District. You'll have no problems getting around, tons of stuff near by and it's a moderate income building for people over 55. I'm not sure how much a 1 bedroom runs but it's less than $800. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,148,125 times
Another option is to sublet a furnished apartment from someone who's traveling for awhile. I'm a little reluctant to sell my home in my state and move to Portland next year without giving it a bit of a test run in the winter to make sure the weather works for me. My visits have always been in the winter but never for more than a week at a time. Looking on craigslist, I found that quite a few people are willing to sublet their furnished apartments, from a month to several months at a time, often for what seems to be less than the going rate, so they can cover some of the rent while they're away. I decided that I might try to find such an arrangement for awhile before committing myself to moving.

I've also seen a number of short-term or month-to-month unfurnished rentals on there, in the sublet section.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,237,123 times
This is my plan too. a test run in winter, then when I make the move it will be a few months in rental until I get settled.

Did you mean a furnished at first before going to an unfurnished place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland