Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM

18 posts, read 19,913 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, how is the noise level with apartments in Goose Hollow, especially the older ones, even after shutting all windows & doors, will all, if not most, noise (besides from police car sirens and the like) be shut out too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
If you front on Vista you will hear street noise particularly if you have single pane windows. Frankly I rarely hear police car sirens but I do hear garbage trucks and car tires when it has rained. Portland dispatches a fire truck for 911 medical emergencies so their sirens are common (there is a fire station further south on Vista near Ainsworth Grade School).

Units that face Green are very quiet and that would be true to a lesser extent of St. Claire, King and Main. Park Place is also a busy street but because it is short cars move quieter but keep in mind the fact that the bus runs up Salmon and Park Place and the tourist bus with narrator traverses Vista and Park Place to Washington Park in the summer.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Goose Hollow includes pockets of very quiet residential areas as well, not just the areas closer to King's Hill.
Some of the quieter areas--like SW Market at 19th as an example, feel like you're in a suburban neighborhood. And there are great stairway walks.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmFan View Post
@Nell Plotts, thanks a lot! With that gorgeous ebike and seductive & sexy new 50" 4K TV staring at us (at least at me), we completely forgot about exit terms in the lease. We'll ask the landlord to let us rent for a month to see if we like living in 225 sq ft sudio. Nope, no free cable, basic or otherwise. You're a genius, Nell! This exit terms suggestion could save us 17 months of misery.
I hear over and over about what a tight rental market it is here in Portland. Unless the landlord is family, I would forget about a trial month. It cost us a months rent to break our lease. That was told to us up front. What was not was that we would have to also pay back our application fees, which had been waived upon being approved. We had to pay back the half month of free rent move in incentive and we were assesed a carpet cleaning fee which was not mentioned in the lease. We have paid all this money gladly to get out of a brand new 16plex with all brand new appliances: stainless steel front loading w/d right in the master bedroom, stainless steel full size fridge, matching range. 760sq/ft. The bathroom sink was 24" wide but only 8" deep. So was the medicine cabinet. You couldn't brush your teeth over the sink! The garbage skip was 1/8 mi away and the lift over was 5' so most women didn't put their garbage inside they just left it on the ground for someone else to heave in. I could go on.

The older unit we are in now is $30 a month cheaper but is 1000 sq/ft!! It is part of a quad mini-complex, each with private garage. Feels like a house. We didn't need 1000sf but 760 was tight. 220 for a couple? Hmmmm. Alright I suppose, for the right couple, but perks like Internet and large screen TV's imply quality time spent at home enjoying said amenities. 220sf?? That sounds more like a crash pad and most everything else is done off premises. Does anyone else think it odd that in a tight rental market a leasing agent needs to resort to bundling e-bikes and plasma screen TV's with the unit?

H

Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 19,913 times
@Leisesturm, so, if you don't mind sharing, where can I find your great catch, never mnd it's older?

Anyone knows anything about this area or apartment... Division Street Lofts Apartments @ 4725 SE Division Street, Richmond, Portland, 97206?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 AM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Quote:
@Leisesturm, so, if you don't mind sharing, where can I find your great catch, never mnd it's older?

Anyone knows anything about this area or apartment... Division Street Lofts Apartments @ 4725 SE Division Street, Richmond, Portland, 97206?
My guess is its shiny and new. There have been a lot (like a lot, a lot) of new apartment complexes built on Division in the past 2 - 3 years. The road is a bit under perpetual construction but it does look like that's slowing down as most developable spots are already taken.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,666 times
Quote:
@JasonF, thanks for your take. Yes, it's fully furnished, like one of those houses or apartments you see in interior design magazines! I agree, I've come across some older 1-bedroom apartments that rent for just under $1k but they not only look old, they smell old too.

By the way, recently, my wife & I have stayed at this 192 sq ft house for about a week, surprisingly, it felt cozy and spacious even without a murphy bed. If you've a minute, you won't regret taking a quick look at this fully-equipped tiny house (in Nashville, TN), it has a full kitchen, a full bathroom, running water, heat, air conditioning, the works, www.airbnb.com/rooms/3207994
That AirBNB thing is under a huge controversy. They're butting heads with the city council presently and he company has been sending lobbyists and grassroots consumer testimonial givers

Old 12-13-2014, 04:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Actually AirBnB has arranged to pay the city hotel tax and the two are no longer butting heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland