U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 3,067,426 times

Advertisements

I know Portland's murder rate is the lowest for any metro in the US, but is Portland really as safe as it's made out to be? Even though murder is the worst crime, I don't necessarily think the murder rate is the end all be all. You're far more likely to be robbed or raped than killed, and most murders are related to gang warfare or domestic violence so where you live has relatively little to do with your chance of being killed by another human being.

Portland has had several school/mall shootings in the past couple years and is more or less a ghetto for people other cities reject like homeless vagrants and sex offenders. Human trafficking is a big issue in Portland. I've been a victim of two violent crimes in the past year walking around town and I have a good friend who was beaten up by vagrants this year as well. The homeless have become more desperate and aggressive since I've moved here and I wouldn't dare walk anywhere past 82nd Avenue or in the far north of the city at night.

Is Portland really safer than say Chicago or something if you exclude a few small run down areas of the latter city?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:38 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,793,832 times
Yes, it really is. I've lived near, and spent a lot of time in, Newark, New York, Boston, and LA, and Portland is safer.

I don't know where all of the aggressive homeless people are; I've literally never had a homeless person say an unpleasant word to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:00 PM

3,799 posts, read 3,200,350 times
I do think Portland is a lot safer than the cities you mention in your post. I am an urban person who always locks my doors and I never take the low murder rate for granted. I know a good amount of people in Portland proper, not the suburbs, who leave a door unlocked or leave their valuables in the car in plain sight, though.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM

577 posts, read 462,665 times
The overall crime rate in Portland is actually higher than Chicago, and three times that of Brooklyn, although that's because there is a lot of property crime. Violent crime rate is quite low but then again the US doesn't count a lot of minor violent stuff in stats. The murder rate is very low for America, although I don't pay much attention to US city murder rates as the vast majority take place in the worst neighbourhoods. London has a murder rate of 1 (vs.3.3 for Portland, and 18 for Chicago) but I still feel a lot safer in American cities than I do in UK cities.

But, I lived in downtown Portland for a while and you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. The amount of crazy/drunk/drugged up homeless people screaming and shouting and hassling people on a daily basis really got to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 PM

9,291 posts, read 14,613,508 times
Unfortunately the mentally ill and those incapacitated by drug use are left to their own devices in the US today and the police everywhere have little effect on their situation. At a certain level, if they don't pose an identifiable threat to others they are left to their own foggy world. When I was a kid they were sent to mental 'hospitals', One Flew Over the Coco's Nest was based on the Oregon State (mental) Hospital. That wasn't ideal by any measure but I am not sure that those receiving 'community based services' are better off.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 AM

24 posts, read 17,496 times
Lmao, safe? look up Andre Payton, Rashad Banks...

back when I was out there, **** was all bad... people I knew were getting killed... people were shooting up funerals... I lost one of my childhood friends "Andre" whom I went to Sabin Elementary with for 3rd & 5th grade... Hoovers were going at it with Rollin 60s... Kerby Blocc was hittin everyone... Unthank Park connected with Hoover... 18s and 13s were stabbin eachother... it was almost like someone turned portland into mini LA... Gangs are everywhere in Portland... Asian gangs are downtown, you have gangs all throughout Alberta & down Killingsworth. The Villa is gang infested... MLK is bad following in the long standing tradition that every Martin Luther King Jr street is Ghetto as hell... also for reference, I used to volunteer at the local "Blazers Boys and Girls club" aswell as the "House of Umoja Gang Outreach/Community Center" on 19th & Alberta... plus I lived in a nice neighborhood off Fremont. The gang situation in Portland is rather bad...

Heres proof that I was in oregon, for the people who saw me post in the sacramento forum and think I am lying

Old 12-14-2014, 09:59 AM

363 posts, read 305,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Unfortunately the mentally ill and those incapacitated by drug use are left to their own devices in the US today and the police everywhere have little effect on their situation. At a certain level, if they don't pose an identifiable threat to others they are left to their own foggy world. When I was a kid they were sent to mental 'hospitals', One Flew Over the Coco's Nest was based on the Oregon State (mental) Hospital. That wasn't ideal by any measure but I am not sure that those receiving 'community based services' are better off.

Say, I have an idea. Lets vote in a law they will create MORE people on drugs. We can claim it as harmless even though the experts say that is a total lie. Wait, too late...

Old 12-14-2014, 05:05 PM

604 posts, read 533,919 times
Yeah, it is. It isn't diverse or exciting enough to have exciting and dangerous crime.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM

46,056 posts, read 25,643,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Say, I have an idea. Lets vote in a law they will create MORE people on drugs. We can claim it as harmless even though the experts say that is a total lie. Wait, too late...
Which drug is that? Tobacco? Alcohol? GMOs? Fast food?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 PM

363 posts, read 305,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which drug is that? Tobacco? Alcohol? GMOs? Fast food?
Pointing at a bad behavior to justify other bad behavior is a very poor argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland