U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 AM

14 posts, read 14,616 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

I am looking for car insurance company that does not require a state driving license. I heard there's a company that gives an insurance without driving license, is that true? and which company is that.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 AM

18,526 posts, read 21,420,612 times
Nobody is going to give you insurance if you don't have a driver's license. It might not have to be an Oregon driver's license, but you would have to have some sort of driver's license.

You could try Lloyd's of London. They issue some crazy, and very expensive, insurance policies.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,205,437 times
Why would you need car insurance if you don't have a license?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:10 AM

31,806 posts, read 17,927,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Nobody is going to give you insurance if you don't have a driver's license. It might not have to be an Oregon driver's license, but you would have to have some sort of driver's license.

You could try Lloyd's of London. They issue some crazy, and very expensive, insurance policies.

Corporations do not have driver licenses, yet they have car insurance. What's to stop an individual from using a corporation to own and insure a car?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:18 AM

14 posts, read 14,616 times
I have an international driving license.

my question was about a company that gives insurance without a "state driving license", meaning it accepts my Kuwaiti driving license.

because I want to register and get plates for my car, and to do so I need car insurance first.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:23 AM

9,282 posts, read 14,607,586 times
I would pay a visit to an insurance agent representing a large auto insurer, we use State Farm. They should be able to advise you.

If you will be an Oregon resident then get an Oregon Driver's License.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,532,906 times
You need to get an international driver's license at minimum. Not just the Kuwaiti.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM

18,526 posts, read 21,420,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Corporations do not have driver licenses, yet they have car insurance. What's to stop an individual from using a corporation to own and insure a car?
Corporations don't drive their cars. The corporation can only allow licensed drivers with good driving records to drive their cars or they lose their insurance.

So, I suppose you could go to the expense of incorporating and the trouble of filing complicated corporate tax papers and all the other paperwork requirements. Have your corporation buy a car and still not be able to drive the car without a license and if you got into trouble with the car, the insurance company would not pay the claim if the driver didn't have a license.

By the way, one person can not form a corporation. There has to be a board of directors. Good luck on finding three people who are happy to accept liability for your driving without a license.

Sometimes gaming the system is more work than it is worth.

OP, you have a license and if you are not a permanent resident here, you should be able to get temporary insurance. Take your international license, your passport, and your visitor's visa to an insurance agent and see what they can do for you.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,205,437 times
What you need is a "International Drivers Permit" which I think you obtain before your travel. If you're already here I would contact the nearest DMV location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland