U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM

702 posts, read 891,809 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Portland 2 years ago, and it has been super easy to make friends. People here are genuinely friendly and there are plenty of fellow transplants also looking for interactions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
My wife and I moved to Portland 2 years ago, and it has been super easy to make friends. People here are genuinely friendly and there are plenty of fellow transplants also looking for interactions.
That tends to be the way it goes in the beginning here. For a while almost all of my friends were transplants with locals sprinkled in. Over the years I have lost touch with a number of my transplant friends, but have made new friends who have grown up in Oregon. Though a number of those transplants I am friends with, I have now had for over a decade. It has definitely been a great place for me when it comes to making long lasting friendships.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,869,471 times
People of all ages have become socially retarded. That is why it is tough to make friends. Everyone has preconceived notions about a potential friends future actions based on a two minute conversation. It's become like chosing a close friend is as hard as choosing a significant other these days. People stay distant and aloof to show they aren't clingy or show how important/busy they are as some sort of ploy to raise social stock.

I think making friends is hard among liberals (not middle of the roads types), I really do. For a few reasons. Liberals tend to be more shy and guarded and even worse overly analytical, which is a disaster in the friends department. They also tend to be more likely to have a degree which in my opinion makes them pretentious, I could not stand my wife's liberal teacher friends. I don't know how many times liberal folks slip in their alma matter and degree into a conversation it did not fit in to. It's like: I'm right your wrong because I have a masters... Well when I was back in grad school at Vassar My professor Doctor Oldsuitjacketfromtheseverties was doing research on.... sustainability...alternative energy...social equality...gentrification, essentially <enter token liberal cause here.>

Conservative folks tend to be here and now. Not very analytical. He likes bikes, I like bikes. I like beer, he likes beer. You like sports and chicks and guns that's, incredible, me too! You like the blazers? I have an extra ticket next week. You like ribs? Hell yeah I like ribs! Wanna hike Bear Canyon next Sunday? Sure let's do it.

Liberals squabble over every little facet of life under the guise of good conversation and healthy debate. Foods they eat, exercise routines, parenting, schooling, education and social matters and scientific articles they read. Then they play the more progressive than thou game. The more educated than you game and the my kids are smarter than yours game. The I have had so many wonderful experiences 1 upper game is my favorite. I'm sorry but drinking wine or eating and having philosophical conversations about things you read on the internet rarely forges a lasting bond. All my wife's "parties" read like a script. The conversations was essentially the front page of The Economist or huffpost. Then they would get drunk off of wine and play trivial pursuit. Yawn.

I'm not sure if it's so much liberal and conservative as it is liberal and educated vs everyone else.

I do not think this is a Portland thing, many of my experiences are from when my wife was a ESL teacher in Tucson.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM

56 posts, read 59,662 times
I can give you some advice on this one, read the replies to the other posts in City Data, or go look on Craig's list -Portland.. Rants and Raves or other postings in the city. If the way the people talk to each other doesn't bother you, then you probably won't have an issue. I would really think about your move, spend more time in the city before you decide.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I find that transplants are generally a lot more friendly than natives, that's for sure. People in Corvallis and Albany where I grew up are very reserved, because pretty much everyone in those cities is a native Oregonian. I made very few friends in high school.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 19,901 times
Coming from Seattle, no, imo. People are downright friendly here comparatively. It helps to make one friend and then meet their circle though.

Although, I should clarify I was much more sensitive in Seattle. Before I would feel weird if I inserted myself into a social gathering but now I don't really care and will make someone be my friend by wearing them down .
Seems to work. Some of my closest friends here are just ppl that I kept talking to/making plans with and eventually their reserved shell began to crack.
I guess if you don't care if you make an ass out of yourself, you can accomplish a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or