Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The housing bubble burst before, but that didn't have much of an impact on the homes in Portland. It is a good thing the city of Portland is investing in alternative forms of transportation and being such a bike friendly city, that helps with lowering one's energy and gas consumption.

Though I am sure for a while, there will always be people who long for 1980 Portland, but we all age and change, Portland is no different.

I long for an even earlier version of Portland that was not so cavalier about how "change" affected its residents.

There is a difference between wanting to ride a bike and having to ride a bike. I am sure the answer is to make sure everyone that doesn't want to bike, bus, walk and ride max must leave the city to save it. As the current crop of folks age are we going to find nice age appropriate cities to send them to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I long for an even earlier version of Portland that was not so cavalier about how "change" affected its residents.

There is a difference between wanting to ride a bike and having to ride a bike. I am sure the answer is to make sure everyone that doesn't want to bike, bus, walk and ride max must leave the city to save it. As the current crop of folks age are we going to find nice age appropriate cities to send them to?
Then cities like Spokane are what you long for. In the past 15 years I have known that city, it has barely changed and has no worries about a growing population. I personally do not want a city like that, and Portland is definitely a growing city that I want to be a part of.

As for needing or wanting to bike, if we get hit with another oil crisis as prices go up, living where you can only drive everywhere doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
The fact is is that not everyone can bike no matter what the oil prices are.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The fact is is that not everyone can bike no matter what the oil prices are.
And that is where having a good transportation system in place comes into effect.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Gotta leave enough cars on the road to pay for them, though. No one else seems interested in doing so.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Gotta leave enough cars on the road to pay for them, though. No one else seems interested in doing so.
Portland doesn't have a shortage of car drivers.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:27 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
It is funny, but Portland here in Maine happens to also be the most pricey city in its respective state. I don' know if that is due in part to it's being adjacent to the ocean OR it's proximity to the Boston Metro and other New England Metro Areas, the combination of the two or something else. But it is Maine's largest city AND the most expensive one even though it didn't make the U.S. top ten cut.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Portland doesn't have a shortage of car drivers.
Or individuals that glibly dismiss the concerns of others.

I find the lack of compassion for those less fortunate disturbing. It takes all kinds of people to make a city work and thrive. Driving forward in the name of progress regardless of the effect on a cities most vulnerable people smells like Italy 1939.

The least able and those of lesser means need better options than get yourself to a public transit station.

I fear for my golden years, when I will be at the mercy of the current crop of forward thinking people.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Or individuals that glibly dismiss the concerns of others.

I find the lack of compassion for those less fortunate disturbing. It takes all kinds of people to make a city work and thrive. Driving forward in the name of progress regardless of the effect on a cities most vulnerable people smells like Italy 1939.

The least able and those of lesser means need better options than get yourself to a public transit station.

I fear for my golden years, when I will be at the mercy of the current crop of forward thinking people.
What better options are you referring to?

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
What better options are you referring to?
Private transportation. Well, unless you will send them a cab on the public dime.

Not everyone can pack up and move right next door to a job. I have worked odd shifts all over Portland. Only one job allowed me to walk to work. The rest I drove or biked. Its the reality for a large portion of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: