Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 PM

32 posts, read 114,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Have you considered Eugene?
as we speak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM

32 posts, read 114,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaunmt View Post
I lived in Portland area for several years, left because of traffic. There are plenty of liberals there though and I am not sure how they feel about allowing you to homeschool in Oregon, since it is such a liberal state and the schools are all liberal, they might frown on your lack of support. Also there is crime in Portland, quite a bit. They built a big jail there (liberals did) that cost a large fortune and of course taxed people in Multnomah county quite a bit more, but they can't use it cause they didn't do the numbers correctly so it sits empty. I lived in Beaverton the entire time I was there, but never met any of the police officers, so I don't know about that attitude you mentioned.
Good luck!
Wow! A jail empty built by tax dollars is quite a waste of money and resources...jeez!

The thing about Beaverton was a thread I read that was explaining that the police drive around undercover in unmarked cars pulling people over for no seat belts...I guess it was just one persons opinion. I don't have any reason to care if I do get pulled over, that just seemed a little too "police state" for me, ya know. Anyways, thanks for the reply!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 PM

42 posts, read 142,356 times
I do believe that the Portland area may very well fit your needs with one exception, traffic. There are many neighborhoods that offer the type of lifestyle that you describe. The Belmont and Hawthorne areas have many "counter culture" types that live and let live, liberal thinking, and a "green" mentality. Sellwood is another area that comes to mind as well. Regarding traffic. Portland is not a small town. The metro area has 2.3 million people living in it and thus there are traffic problems even with great mass transit. If you can take public transport and leave the car at home, you may be able to deal with it better. If you can learn to accept the traffic, then you will enjoy the benefits of living in such a wonderful place. However, compared to cities such as Los Angeles, Phoenix, or even Seattle, Portland's traffic is NOTHING like those places. Good luck on your move!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM

920 posts, read 2,810,942 times
Overall, Eugene is pretty safe. Some parts of western Eugene can be sketchy, but I don't even think they'd qualify as "bad parts of town," compared to other places.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM

24 posts, read 79,822 times
Default Wow. An acre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama2organic1z View Post
Actually since I last posted this, I have looked into Eugene, and I agree that it looks like it would be perfect. Never having been to Oregon, I am a little concerned that I will end up in a bad part of town and not realize it until I have been there a while. I want this to be my last move until my girls go to college or whatever they choose to do at 18, and so I want to make sure to be in a part of town or close enough to town where I can have at least an acre...or ten to garden, but not more than 20 minutes from local activities and jobs.
I was going to say that South Eugene sounds perfect for you, but the average lot is more like .20-.25 acre. That is a nice sized backyard to play or garden in, but it's not an acre.

For an acre+ in South Eugene you will be looking out by Lorane Hwy, Fox Hollow, or South Willamette. All are absolutely beautiful countryside and could be 20 minutes to shopping depending on how close in you find.

The great thing about looking in an election year is you can judge the neighborhood by whose signs are in the yards!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,656,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama2organic1z View Post
I did look into Cottage Grove, but a realtor told me it is about 30-40 minutes from Eugene, and I just couldn't justify making that trek everyday with the prices of gas.
Estacada, some areas out in canby, or beaver creek road, all clackamas county areas on the fringe of metro, but in reach of portland. Eugene would still be my vote based on your wants, the homeschooling movement is pretty big in oregon so will be supported in this venture. good luck

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,030,396 times
I would also consider Ashland in Southern Oregon. Be prepared, though...Ashland is very expensive. However, you could live in an outlying town like Talent or Phoenix.

In Eugene, you might consider Santa Clara. It's an unincorporated suburb and the homes tend to be on big lots (more room for your girls to run around). It's very easy to get around Eugene--much more so than Portland. Eugene also has everything, conservative church-goers, liberal wiccans, business types, earthies. To give you an idea, it's always been one of the Grateful Dead's biggest fan bases. There's also the Oregon Country Fair which would be right up your alley. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland