U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,325,141 times

Advertisements

I can't remember a winter this insanely mild. It hasn't really gone below 35 much at all so far this year, and there's been many days with 60s highs and more forecast! It's more typical of San Jose than of Portland. Oddly the only subfreezing weather we've had was in November, aside from a couple days around New Years.

Last summer was also the hottest on record. It felt more like a Bay Area summer than a Portland summer honestly, and it lasted from May to October on and off. Definitely more 90+ days and humidity than usual and many many miserable 85+ days. The worst part was it didn't cool off at night much at all, I'm a night owl and I remember it felt warm and stuffy even at dawn a lot of mornings.

It seems like it's been drier the past year too, though with more torrential rain and thunderstorms when it has rained. I really hope these recent seasons are just aberrations and not Portland's new climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 AM

46,055 posts, read 27,351,838 times
I think this might be more of a fluke than a weather change.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:43 AM

981 posts, read 1,771,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I can't remember a winter this insanely mild. It hasn't really gone below 35 much at all so far this year, and there's been many days with 60s highs and more forecast! It's more typical of San Jose than of Portland. Oddly the only subfreezing weather we've had was in November, aside from a couple days around New Years.

Last summer was also the hottest on record. It felt more like a Bay Area summer than a Portland summer honestly, and it lasted from May to October on and off. Definitely more 90+ days and humidity than usual and many many miserable 85+ days. The worst part was it didn't cool off at night much at all, I'm a night owl and I remember it felt warm and stuffy even at dawn a lot of mornings.

It seems like it's been drier the past year too, though with more torrential rain and thunderstorms when it has rained. I really hope these recent seasons are just aberrations and not Portland's new climate.
"Get off your liberal soapbox! The world has been cooling for the past 17 years!"

Just kidding. Right-wing liar parody. I agree about the mildness, though there have been a few cold snaps, as can be expected.

Watch out for the latest study on undersea volcanoes that wingnuts will cherry-pick out of context.

I also want to thank Portlanders for doing their part to curb global warming by sitting around idling their engines while gaping at their smartphones. It seems to be a trend; sure, don't talk and text while driving but don't bother to turn the engine off while sitting. Wasting oil is stupid at any price. It's getting scarcer all the time because it's finite.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM

9,582 posts, read 9,159,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think this might be more of a fluke than a weather change.
It is both.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 PM

95 posts, read 89,062 times
I think that although one year can't be taken as a trend, that if you take the last few years together, we have in many ways had a climate that resembled Northern California more than Northern Oregon. And this jives with what climate scientists have been saying for quite a while, at least in regards to air temperature (changes to precipitation are a bit harder to predict).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,055,109 times
Hard to say. How much is attributable to long-term change and how much to specific events is difficult to say with just one year's data, much less 1-2 months.

Tallying up the accuweather highs from 12/28-1/31 the avg high exceeded historical avg by 2.09, but that difference is almost entirely attributable to 5 days where the high spiked above historical avg by 9-13 degrees (5th, 17-18th, 24th, 26th) compared to only 2 days with significant deviation in the other direction (-8 to -10 just before the New Year).

I didn't tally up the lows.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,491,361 times
Portland is much hotter than S.F. during the Summer. I guess if you consider Napa as part of The Bay Area, then yes, Summer is generally pretty hot. Burlingame and San Mateo area tend to be sunny but mild and warm with wind during the Summer. Portland is hotter than S.F., Berkeley, Southern Marin County, San Mateo County, Half Moon Bay...

Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM

210 posts, read 191,497 times
It can also get surprisingly humid in the summer here, despite people saying to the contrary!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM

918 posts, read 945,975 times
I've been here over 10 years from the Bay Area, the climate is getting very similar to what I was used to down there. Anyone that thinks summer is humid needs to buy a ticket to the east coast to learn what humidity is.

I never had to mow my lawn here in the winter, as it would quit growing due to the cold. I have mowed twice this winter and is due again.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:05 PM

3,355 posts, read 5,367,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Hard to say. How much is attributable to long-term change and how much to specific events is difficult to say with just one year's data, much less 1-2 months. ..............
Permanent climate change might have some effect, but it is small compared to the PNW's proximity to the Pacific Ocean:

"The researchers behind the paper, published online in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, say anthropogenic greenhouse gas pollution could start having an effect on regional temperatures. It might already be doing so. But, between 1900 and 2012, they concluded that humanity’s temperature-changing influence paled in comparison with that of the intense natural fluctuations of the wild winds and waters of the world’s largest ocean.": Pacific Northwest Warming May Have Natural Roots - Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or