Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:41 AM

31 posts, read 32,006 times

Advertisements

Thats the plan a friend of mines lives in southeast portland and is going to let me stay with them for a few motnhs to get on my feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Northern California's not that far away. If you come up and things don't work out, you can always return home to regroup.

Why not line up a week or so's worth of interviews, come up and stay in one of those Air B&Bs, and take things from there? You're going to have rough time finding a traditional rental unless and until you've got a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM

56 posts, read 77,332 times
Default Do your research before moving to Portland, wish I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Come on what?

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't come here, but they should have a solid plan for how they're going to make this work. The suggestion to start somewhere like Kaiser and transfer to Portland is a pretty good one.

I've known several people who took the move first, figure it out later approach. Almost none of them are still around. Most don't last more than a few months.

At a minimum, the OP needs several months living expenses saved up before seriously entertaining this idea. If mom chips in the first month, what happens in month two when the rent's due and the OP doesn't have a job yet or hasn't worked long enough to make enough money to pay the bills?

** This is all true from my own personal experience too. Bottom line, it's expensive to move and live in Portland. Let's be honest here, the apartment rentals are expensive, not the most modern or well maintained in many cases and decent paying jobs with, how can I say this nicely, 'mature adult-minded' co-workers are pretty hard to find.

Do your research, for example, read the way people talk to one another on Portland, Oregon posts. Read "rants and raves" on Portland Craig's list. It's very telling and frankly, it's sad how mean and snarky people are in the Portland, Oregon area to each other, very untrusting to outsiders. It's only fair to post this for others and encourage them spend a lot of time in Portland before moving to the area. It's an acquired taste and maybe great if you don't know any different and grew up in the area. Also, check out the local news, lots of gang issues in many of areas.

This is my experience, just as others post their experiences, positive or negative.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:58 AM

421 posts, read 410,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post
** This is all true from my own personal experience too. Bottom line, it's expensive to move and live in Portland. Let's be honest here, the apartment rentals are expensive, not the most modern or well maintained in many cases and decent paying jobs with, how can I say this nicely, 'mature adult-minded' co-workers are pretty hard to find.

Do your research, for example, read the way people talk to one another on Portland, Oregon posts. Read "rants and raves" on Portland Craig's list. It's very telling and frankly, it's sad how mean and snarky people are in the Portland, Oregon area to each other, very untrusting to outsiders. It's only fair to post this for others and encourage them spend a lot of time in Portland before moving to the area. It's an acquired taste and maybe great if you don't know any different and grew up in the area. Also, check out the local news, lots of gang issues in many of areas.

This is my experience, just as others post their experiences, positive or negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post
Shoots and major gang issues in Portland, Oregon. Not usually mentioned in the National media, but you should be aware if you are planning to move to the area..

Example of news stories below.

Four shootings in one week rattle Portland neighbors | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...t-help-stop-it
It sounds like Portland is not a good fit for you. Life is too short. YOU might be better off in another city.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:57 PM

Default .

What city in America doesn't have gangs, crime, prostitution, etc thats how it is here. Trust me where I live its ten times worse than Portland, it is literally ranked one of the most miserable places to live in the Country.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM

Default .

100% I know it's not going to be easy but it's worth a shot. At OHSU there was a job offer for my trade starting at $14 an hour, full time, m-f I would find a away to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
A completely baseless statement.

1) There's zero guarantee of landing a job on day one. Almost no one does that. Even if things go well and it only takes a couple weeks, the OP is going to be screwed when month #2 comes around if they don't have some savings.

2) What makes you think a 19 year old medical office worker gets paid well? Glassdoor puts medical office workers at barely above minimum wage. Perhaps the OP meant something else with that run on, typo-filled, randomly punctuated opening post.

3) Since when is NW cheap? Anywhere close in with decent transit is going to be fairly expensive.

People should not be easing up. They should be giving the OP realistic advice for how to make it a successful move. Lying to people about how much they're going to get paid, how easy it's going to be to get a job, and how much it's going to cost to live here is not actually helpful. It just sets them up for failure.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Having someone to stay with at first changes the calculus substantially and makes this much easier to pull off. It gives you a realistic timeframe to get on your feet.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
What type of credit do you have? You will need good credit more than money in the bank. You also need diversified credit, that is, credit from different sources, like, credit cards, car loan, rental, etc. I found rental history to be the most important when I was in your circumstances. Perhaps you could get your mother to write a notarized letter you had faithfully paid rent----assuming you did?

Wanting to leave the nest is a natural desire most all of us have. Without it, no one would ever leave the comfort and security of an established home for the great unknown!

Check out your credit reports, now's the time to clean up any mistakes, bad marks, etc

You have a big adventure ahead of you---go fr it!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
OHSU is a great place to start even if the pay isn't earthshaking (I think they provide a TriMet pass for free or very cheap). Almost all of those who work/practice there stick around Portland Metro and thus provide great opportunities for networking in the medical field.

If you find a job there stick with it for a year and do a great job before you move on.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoon508 View Post
Thats the plan a friend of mines lives in southeast portland and is going to let me stay with them for a few motnhs to get on my feet

That's how I did it----stayed with a friend for ~6 months, got a good job, then got my own apartment, then got my dh---now I let him worry about the &*% bills

Hey, it worked

Old 02-22-2015, 03:26 PM

I would love to work at the OHSU the trimet thing is just another plus i would be so happy to have that job. I figure save paychecks up staying with my friend and then move out. The only thing is the credit deal I have 0 credit so I might have to pay a really high deposit or my plan too pay 2 months rent ahead, im really interested in the apartaments next to union station a 1 bedroom goes for 760 i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
OHSU is a great place to start even if the pay isn't earthshaking (I think they provide a TriMet pass for free or very cheap). Almost all of those who work/practice there stick around Portland Metro and thus provide great opportunities for networking in the medical field.

If you find a job there stick with it for a year and do a great job before you move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland