Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times

Advertisements

I believe cities in general are likely to turn more into whatever they are already turning into as people are increasingly moving to where they want to be as far as culture and politics and vibe. In other words, a conservative city in Texas is going to be more conservative and attract more like-minded people, and a city like Portland is (in my opinion) unfortunately going to slide into being even weirder and basically full of people who either don't have money or have money, but didn't work for it. It's hard to imagine wealthy business leaders wanting to live here when the income taxes are oppressive, property taxes are high, capital gains taxes some of the highest in the entire world, and on top of all that you have a culture that's openly hostile towards success and wealth. There is a very clear attitude here that I never got while I was in Los Angeles -- another liberal city -- where wealthy people are the enemy, they're not paying enough of their dues, they're not helping out enough, blah blah, etc. Portland is a city that values the bearded guy on a bike over the suit-and-tie wearing businessman driving his brand new Mercedes downtown. I really don't get it, personally, as that's not the world I grew up in at all. Success is to be admired and respected and most of the "hipsters" with part-time jobs at the coffee shop are just losers. There's nothing cool about being a loser. I don't know why in Portland there's that overwhelming vibe that the weirder you are, the bigger loser that you are, the "cooler" you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I believe cities in general are likely to turn more into whatever they are already turning into as people are increasingly moving to where they want to be as far as culture and politics and vibe. In other words, a conservative city in Texas is going to be more conservative and attract more like-minded people, and a city like Portland is (in my opinion) unfortunately going to slide into being even weirder and basically full of people who either don't have money or have money, but didn't work for it. It's hard to imagine wealthy business leaders wanting to live here when the income taxes are oppressive, property taxes are high, capital gains taxes some of the highest in the entire world, and on top of all that you have a culture that's openly hostile towards success and wealth. There is a very clear attitude here that I never got while I was in Los Angeles -- another liberal city -- where wealthy people are the enemy, they're not paying enough of their dues, they're not helping out enough, blah blah, etc. Portland is a city that values the bearded guy on a bike over the suit-and-tie wearing businessman driving his brand new Mercedes downtown. I really don't get it, personally, as that's not the world I grew up in at all. Success is to be admired and respected and most of the "hipsters" with part-time jobs at the coffee shop are just losers. There's nothing cool about being a loser. I don't know why in Portland there's that overwhelming vibe that the weirder you are, the bigger loser that you are, the "cooler" you are.
People wear suits and ties in Portland as well. Personally I prefer a nice shirt and tie with a Columbia jacket, but thats me.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 10,766 times
Perspective, Perspective. We moved here over 5 years ago from Chicago and love the mild climate. It's less gloomy and gray than most of the Midwest, warmer and no snow (or rare snow) compared to Chicago, and rain is more of a drizzle so you can walk around in a light hooded jacket during the winter and not even worry a bit about your eyeballs freezing Many houses don't even have AC as super hot days are also rare. It's the prettiest place I will probably ever live.

That said, Housing is going up but reasonable if you come from a big city, not so much otherwise. Good high paying jobs can be hard to find. Personal income taxes (9-10%) are outrageous, don't know how anyone retires here. Even with no sales tax, I don't consume 10% of my income. Traffic is still ok compared to Houston, LA or Chicago, but taking a bit longer. The "be nice and polite" to everyone gets old and I think is causing the homeless takeover of our lovely downtown areas. There is very little diversity but food carts have added some great ethnic food options.

Like all cities (towns?) there are trade offs.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:32 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Honest, even when DH & I were working in professional positions our OR income tax did not amount to 9%, let alone 10%, of our gross income. As retirees our income taxes are very modest.

The best way to measure the impact of our income tax is to prepare a mock return, easy to do using any of the popular tax software packages.

I can't find the comment where someone compared Portland to Missouri - keep in mind the fact that most Oregon Pioneers fled Missouri in a covered wagon in the mid 1800's. Our ancestors didn't like it then and their progeny have no interest in returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland