Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

That reminds me of those unhappy days when my office would declare a 'working lunch' and get pizza. The receptionist would without fail order one pepperoni, one veggie, and one Canadian bacon and pineapple. Everyone would zero in on the pepperoni, and half of each of the other two misbegotten notions would sit getting cold. I didn't need a lunch break to eat; I needed a lunch break to get away from the office for an hour and gird up for another four hours of computer problems.

I have to admit that I can't bring myself to go near the Sch-word place simply because the name's dumbness has me so put off. I aver that this is childish of me, irrelevant to the quality of the food and service, and otherwise makes zero good sense. I just can't make myself do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 03:28 PM

82 posts, read 146,225 times
We like Flying Pie too. We go to the one in Lake Oswego. If you are out in Aloha you could take Hwy. 217 South to the Kruse Way exit, follow Kruse Way down to SW Boones Ferry, turn left and drive another few blocks to the restaurant. It is in the "Lake Oswego Towne Center" beside the New Seasons Market. Friday and Saturday nights are especially busy and they always seem to be SLOW (no matter when you are there)... We always call our order in ahead and arrive around the time it is supposed to be ready. They have different crust thicknesses and are generous with their toppings. We actually order "light" toppings because we don't like them so thick. They are very willing to customize. You should check them out one evening if you fancy a night out in a different part of town.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
That reminds me of those unhappy days when my office would declare a 'working lunch' and get pizza. The receptionist would without fail order one pepperoni, one veggie, and one Canadian bacon and pineapple. Everyone would zero in on the pepperoni, and half of each of the other two misbegotten notions would sit getting cold.
I decided several years ago that I had my lifetime quota of Canadian bacon and pineapple by the time I quit the Cub Scouts in 5th grade. I think I had it at least once a month for 3 years. :0

If you like your crust more "bready", I can recommend American Dream Pizza on NE Glisan. Not a thin crust at all, but it's certainly not a deep-dish, and the crust ends are delicious when dipped in their ranch dressing.

It's too far for us though (we live in the Beaverton area too), so our go-to is Pizzicato.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,345 times
ok its not Beaverton or Aloha ( I went to school there - does that count ?)but there is a place in inner NE called Blind Onion pizza. The dough is hand tossed but after that the artsy pizza stuff stops and it gets the real ton o sauce/cheese/meat treatment. My wife loved it - I'm more of a Escape from NY pizza type - thin crust with cheese only.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
I really like American Dream on NE Glisan. Again not Beaverton or Aloha but they have the best crust I've had in a long, long time.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:15 PM

Really good crust can make all the difference. I hadn't seen a Godfather's in a long time until I moved here, and all I remember about them from the 80s and 90s was how little I liked their crust. Didn't even eat the edge part.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Drag: Pizzicato delivery doesn't start until five, and in any case, looks like I'm probably outside their delivery area, so trying it will have to wait until we want to go for a sit-down. That's okay, doesn't exactly crush my soul to go with Round Table.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I'm also in a shared Beaverton/Aloha zipcode. Here are some things off the top of my head:

- our mechanic is Affordable Automotive in Cornelius. Yes, it's a hike from where we live but he's worth it - capable and honest.

- I also endorse Don Pedro in Hillsboro, although I'd describe the location as 10th between Cedar and Walnut.

- Other Mexican options - Tapatio at 185th & Farmington and Guicho's at Murray & Allen - owned by the same family. There's a new place at 176th & Farmington called Mi Jalisco; it looks interesting but I haven't been there yet.

- An intriguingly different but similar cuisine, Salvadoran, can be found at Gloria's Secret on Broadway in Old Town Beaverton and Sabor Salvadoreno on 185th a block or so north of TV Highway. Another Spanish-speaking cuisine, Puerto Rican, is at Boriken on Canyon Rd (TV Highway) near downtown Beaverton.

- for pizza, we're restricted to places with gluten-free crust. The best of those around here are Bellagio's and Garlic Jim's. For those without restrictions, the classic local pizzerias are Giovanni's on Broadway at Hall in Beaverton and Nonna Emilia's on the south side of TV Highway off 170th.

- for Thai food, we like Thai Hi 5 on Broadway in Beaverton and Rama Thai a few blocks west, near Boriken.

- for Indian food we generally go to Abhiruchi in the Kmart shopping center at Murray & TV Highway. Swagat, off Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway near Target, is good too.

- Other random thoughts and recommendations in or near downtown Beaverton:

acupuncturist Edward Ildowe Bae at Acu-Herbs Clinic on Farmington Rd.
Vanek's Shoe Repair on Broadway
coffeehouse Ava Roasteria at 2nd & Hall
Beaverton Bakery across the street from Giovanni's
Broadway Saloon - the grilled prime rib & eggs breakfast is great
Other breakfast/all day options: Tom's Pancake House and Black Bear Diner, a few blocks apart on TV Highway
Jin Wah for Chinese & Vietnamese food and Marinepolis Sushi Land, both in the shopping center at 117th & Canyon
I haven't been there, but DJK Korean BBQ is on a lot of best-of-Portland lists, and there are several other Korean restaurants in the area
for ethnic groceries, Uwajimaya on Beaverton-Hillsdale east of 217, San Francisco Tienda Mexicana at Allen & Lombard, Supermercados Mexico at 10th & Walnut in Hillsboro, Viet-Thai Market on TV Highway east of 185th, and Manila Market on TV Highway at 170th.
For fine dining or close to it, Hall Street Grill on Hall between TV Highway and Cedar Hills Blvd., DeCarli on Watson just south of Farmington, and Reedville Cafe on TV Highway at Cornelius Pass Rd.
Funny things to take pictures of and send to friends back home - the giant rabbit statue at Harvey Marine on TV Highway west of 209th, and the "root beer family" at Shute Park in Hillsboro, where TV Highway transitions to 10th Ave.

That's exhausted my brain for now. Have fun!
Okay, with apologies for not trimming the quote (too much of a hassle on the board system), I have now gotten around to forming opinions of some of these.

Affordable Automotive: probably going to form that opinion soon, because I'm expecting a reasonable diagnosis from Beaverton Toyota but a kidney-priced solution.

Tapatio was good once, then very disappointing once. Mi Jalisco was good once, but if our experience with Mexican places so far is a guide, will probably disappoint on the second trip.

We have plans to hit Nonna Emilia's soon, since it's so close to us. Thai Hi 5 was pretty good.

I'll be at Abhiruchi right after I finish at the Toyota place, since it's almost within long baseball throw.

Uwajimaya was a rather cool place, different than I expected. Supermercados Mexico was entirely too cramped, though I did finally get the chance to try Inca-Cola.

Still exploring, still seeking out the constantly-evolving bests.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
One update to that list you quoted - Guicho's is no longer in business. The space is now a Korean restaurant called "Ara"; I haven't been there yet.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:08 AM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
We had lunch at Rama Thai last week on your recommendation. We never would have known it was there, so thank you! Good food and quite reasonable. They were busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland