Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM

179 posts, read 272,068 times

Advertisements

Greetings, forum readers.

While I have been doing my own research for a summer trip to the Pacific NW, I know that I only have one mind and no experience going there, so I am reaching out for some feedback for planning my trip.

I would like to hit Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland, though there may be a side trip that gets added.

1 The first issue is time: I can do this between June 21 and July 11 or else between July 24 and August 11. I reckon the weather will be hotter (which I prefer)/less likely to have lots of rain in late July and August, but I don't know if one time frame is better than the other.

2 The second issue is the order of cities. Currently, I am looking into flying into Vancouver June 25 and out of Portland July 6, but I don't know if it's advised to visit the three cities in one order or the other.

3 Another issue is timing: my current idea (Vancouver 25-29, Seattle 29-July 2, Portland July 2-6) would have me in Vancouver and Portland for two weekends and Seattle only during weekdays. What do you think about being in those cities for those days of the week?

Also: I would love to take advantage of festivals and cultural things things that I enjoy (ex. dance, music, film, BOOKS, food, experiences that are typical of the city/region and not found elsewhere). This concept dictated the idea of going to Vancouver first, as there is a jazz festival with acts the 26-28 I may pay to see. Would you alter my dates in order to be present for certain festivals/events? If so, why/which ones?

4 Finally, it seems that getting from one city to the next will be more or less painless (although the cheapest train tickets seem to be sold out)- there are rail and bus options. However, I have zero experience flying to and from the Pac NW. Does it make sense to go with whatever momondo.com or some other website dishes up, or should I be looking elsewhere? Which airlines should I try for/avoid, and which times of day would be ideal (many flights arrive in Vancouver at 11:28 PM, and I don't know if that's fine or if it would mean having to pay a lot for a cab versus finding an earlier flight and taking the train downtown).
*I had thought of taking Amtrak from Chicago to Portland and maybe returning via bus or train, too (I am not under really strict time restraints), but the buses are 2 days+ and the TRIPADVISOR reviews of the last year of that Amtrak route paint a bleak picture. I think flying is probably best.

For now, I think those are the most urgent things. Any other comments/feedback on this forum or via PM are also welcome.

Thanks so much in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
If you are going to fly, get those tickets booked yesterday. Do not consider the bus. Do not consider the bus. Repeated for emphasis. Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA? There are some really cool galleries in Seattle, but, in general, BOOKS, film, music acts, art... these have a national distribution. Chicago is not Peoria, you certainly have something in Chicago that gives one an experience similar to Powell's Books I should think. I cannot understand wanting to come to the PNW to sample the usual entertainments of home.

The allure of the PNW is the combination of natural beauty with some of the usual cosmopolitan offerings to help pass the downtime between hikes or day trips or whale sightings.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
It's a long way from Chicago to the west coast by rail or bus. And rail in particular I'm not sure you'd save much if any money vs. just flying.

The catch being that you'd want to look at if you were flying in/out of one city, or doing a circular route. Which would probably cost a bit more but would be more time effective.

I also can only speculate what customs will think of such a route, and don't be surprised if you get some add'l scrutiny, although perhaps less so now that marijuana is legal in both WA/OR. lol

The Waterfront Blues Fest is in Pdx July 2-5 Home | Waterfront Blues Festival, though personally I don't know that you'd get the most bang out of your buck spending most of your trip at festivals which you can do in Chicago vs. actually checking out the cities themselves - Powell's, Stanley Park, etc.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Chicago is not Peoria, you certainly have something in Chicago that gives one an experience similar to Powell's Books I should think.
Chicago has a lot of great small to mid-size independent book stores, but having lived there I can't think of anything on the order of Powell's. And my Chicago friends who visit are book fiends and definitely make a Powell's stop when they come out.

There used to be a really nice Border's on Michigan Ave, which, in terms of stock was still just a Border's, but it was a beautiful space.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 10,772 times
You should have good weather both date options. You can easily fly Chicago to Northwest cities. American, Alaska or Southwest. I'd try to avoid United as they often have delays. Once out here, I totally get the jazz fest in Vancouver idea. Only might consider hitting Vancouver that July 4th wkend as needless to say it's not a holiday in Canada so might have less traffic there withe everyone else off work.

You can Amtrak between cities, or check into car rental. While you can do a lot in 4 nights in each city, I'd consider a car rental in Portland, to go the columbia river gorge and at least a quick visit to the Pacific coast (90 min from downtown portland). This is also a great bus option for NW cities: https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Greetings, forum readers.

While I have been doing my own research for a summer trip to the Pacific NW, I know that I only have one mind and no experience going there, so I am reaching out for some feedback for planning my trip.

I would like to hit Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland, though there may be a side trip that gets added.

1 The first issue is time: I can do this between June 21 and July 11 or else between July 24 and August 11. I reckon the weather will be hotter (which I prefer)/less likely to have lots of rain in late July and August, but I don't know if one time frame is better than the other.

2 The second issue is the order of cities. Currently, I am looking into flying into Vancouver June 25 and out of Portland July 6, but I don't know if it's advised to visit the three cities in one order or the other.

3 Another issue is timing: my current idea (Vancouver 25-29, Seattle 29-July 2, Portland July 2-6) would have me in Vancouver and Portland for two weekends and Seattle only during weekdays. What do you think about being in those cities for those days of the week?

Also: I would love to take advantage of festivals and cultural things things that I enjoy (ex. dance, music, film, BOOKS, food, experiences that are typical of the city/region and not found elsewhere). This concept dictated the idea of going to Vancouver first, as there is a jazz festival with acts the 26-28 I may pay to see. Would you alter my dates in order to be present for certain festivals/events? If so, why/which ones?

4 Finally, it seems that getting from one city to the next will be more or less painless (although the cheapest train tickets seem to be sold out)- there are rail and bus options. However, I have zero experience flying to and from the Pac NW. Does it make sense to go with whatever momondo.com or some other website dishes up, or should I be looking elsewhere? Which airlines should I try for/avoid, and which times of day would be ideal (many flights arrive in Vancouver at 11:28 PM, and I don't know if that's fine or if it would mean having to pay a lot for a cab versus finding an earlier flight and taking the train downtown).
*I had thought of taking Amtrak from Chicago to Portland and maybe returning via bus or train, too (I am not under really strict time restraints), but the buses are 2 days+ and the TRIPADVISOR reviews of the last year of that Amtrak route paint a bleak picture. I think flying is probably best.

For now, I think those are the most urgent things. Any other comments/feedback on this forum or via PM are also welcome.

Thanks so much in advance for any input.
One note on the timing. Canada Day is July 1st and Independence Day is July 4. Expect higher crowds and perhaps costs during that time in those two cities. Because Canada Day falls in the middle of the week that week (you'll be in YVR the first weekend), the entire week - and both weekends - might be busy/costly.

By the time you hit late June, we've pretty much hit the dry season.

Skip the Amtrak. From Chicago to the Rockies is painfully boring. And even in the west, part of your time will be at night, so that'll be worthless. I believe there's really only one full daytime of travel actually in the west. And considering how expensive the sleeping areas are on Amtrak, use the airplanes.

For Books: Powell's Books in downtown PDX is very tough to beat for a bookstore.

PS: If you entertain the idea of renting a car, keep in mind that one-way rentals (e.g. pickup in PDX & drop in Vancouver or vice-versa) in the Pac NW are notoriously very expensive, despite so many people doing them. Just a heads up to ensure you calculate that fee into your expenses - best thing to do is a mock rental to see what the rate will be before you consider exploring that option further.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:28 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. Flights are booked, beds are at least temporarily reserved, and now it's a question of figuring out how to solidify connections between cities before I move onto things actually done in the area.

I arrive in Vancouver the 24th in the early evening, currently plan to depart the 29th for Seattle, plan to leave Seattle the 2nd for Portland the 2nd of July, and have a flight out of Portland the afternoon of July 7. What do you think about distributing my time that way? I could try to leave Vancouver late on the 29th and Seattle late on the 2nd to try to maximize time in those cities or I could try to leave on the first bus out. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Checking back in: I had an amazing time in all three cities and their surroundings. I happened to rent a car my last two days in Portland to do exactly what you suggested, Roz7, and it really helped grow my appreciation of Oregon. What a beautiful, beautiful state.

Thanks so much for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: