Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,956,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
I'll probably do the same in a few years. I don't like the direction I see this city going in. Even though I have a reasonably good job right now, I don't look forward to an uphill battle against rising rents, more and more wealth, overpopulation, etc. I will likely go somewhere in the Midwest.
Another thing is they are always cutting transit and my favorite hangout places keep disappearing, or will disappear. Like the Belmont Bodega is history, and soon Chopsticks will be too. This isn't the city I moved to anymore. Places like the Trio Club represent the "new Portland", the new sterile California-wannabe Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM

210 posts, read 251,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Portland is a much nicer city if you can afford to live close-in in a nice area and shop at all the hippie boutiques all the time. It's not a very nice city if you live on or east of 82nd Avenue and are freezing because you can't afford to heat your room, and you never go in your living room because it's always frigid.
Even if you can afford to live close in, you are increasingly surrounded by snobby yuppie-types. It's not the kind of vibe/environment I'm looking for.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
Even if you can afford to live close in, you are increasingly surrounded by snobby yuppie-types. It's not the kind of vibe/environment I'm looking for.
All of the people I work with are so snotty aside from my bosses and a couple others. It's not my scene at all.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,091,210 times
I don't know where you could live with only 1500 in your pocket. Syracuse is dying and that little won't even get you far here.

And how does Portland have no opportunity? Oregon's unemployment rate dipped below the national average for the first time in 19 years, and Portland's been leading the way.

As far as the crime goes, have you checked the murder rates east of the Mississippi? Syracuse, at less than a quarter of the population, will probably have more murders than Portland.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 04-14-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,134,856 times
Good luck with where you end up moving to next. Quiting your job and giving yourself 30 days to decide is a risky move for anyone to do, so I hope it all works out for you.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I don't know where you could live with only 1500 in your pocket. Syracuse is dying and that little won't even get you far here.

And how does Portland have no opportunity? Oregon's unemployment rate dipped below the national average for the first time in 19 years, and Portland's been leading the way.

As far as the crime goes, have you checked the murder rates east of the Mississippi? Syracuse, at less than a quarter of the population, will probably have more murders than Portland.
Well I do get $750 a month as well from the government for disability, so I'm not totally screwed if I run out of money. I'm not really concerned so much about murder as about crime rates in general. I'm more worried about break ins, rapes, stuff like that.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:12 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,091,210 times
Quote:
Well I do get $750 a month as well from the government for disability, so I'm not totally screwed if I run out of money. I'm not really concerned so much about murder as about crime rates in general. I'm more worried about break ins, rapes, stuff like that.
So you're just looking for a cheaper but safer place to live. That's a conundrum.

Also, according to a March 11th, 2015 press release, Trimet has announced that they're expanding, not reducing, service.

If you're on disability, you should probably look at metros with the highest rates of people on disability, because they're probably there for the reasons you want to be.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,916,807 times
Quote:

Where in Portland are break-in's (home invasions, not automobile), rapes (NOT date or domestic), or other violent crimes (stuff like that) a problem?? Kid, it doesn't get better than Portland, believe it. Another poster said "Canada" and s/he would be right. If you aren't going to Canada (and they wouldn't have you anyway) you can find cheaper places in the U.S. than Portland, places with nicer weather than Portland, but not better places than Portland...you think you are freezing now? When the grid goes down the entire rest of the country will be trying to get to Oregon and/or Washington. You had the inside track. Oh well.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Where in Portland are break-in's (home invasions, not automobile), rapes (NOT date or domestic), or other violent crimes (stuff like that) a problem?? Kid, it doesn't get better than Portland, believe it. Another poster said "Canada" and s/he would be right. If you aren't going to Canada (and they wouldn't have you anyway) you can find cheaper places in the U.S. than Portland, places with nicer weather than Portland, but not better places than Portland...you think you are freezing now? When the grid goes down the entire rest of the country will be trying to get to Oregon and/or Washington. You had the inside track. Oh well.
Portland is not for everyone.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,543,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Why not Canada?
https://youtu.be/OOL3QEe8aXs?t=21s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland