U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,673,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Cedar Hills is a nice little neighborhood, which straddles the Beaverton/Portland border. There are lots of little 50s ranch homes with relatively large lots. It's also close to Science Park Drive.
I agree, driven in that area many times,
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,435,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
You are right on with your description. OP would be wise to avoid Hillsboro, Gresham areas, Maybe check Beverton, or Tigard.

Beaverton had gang areas long before Hillsboro.

Both areas are where I grew up, because my best friend went to high school in Hillsboro. So I know what it was like, and know what it's become.

Personally, I would not follow advice to avoid HIllsboro. Just a few areas within it.

I'd live in Hillsboro, Beaverton or Lake Oswego. It's easy to find neighborhoods in almost any suburb, or Portland, that are located well-away from gang activity or ghetto conditions.

I don't think anything around Portland fits the description of what many people think of by "Ghetto".

One thing about Washington County in general - it's got more of a Republican population than Multnomah County that Portland is in. Washington County tends to have a lot of households with firearms. I noticed that the areas of Beaverton where the gangs (little ones) first took root, were in lower income areas. The better neighborhoods of Beaverton, and Hillsboro, are where I'd expect to find the most conceal carry permits and the higher density of firearms for protection. The higher concentration of society's "lower elements" appear to be outside those neighborhoods, where there is the least amount of resistance and risk for them. THe "dark side" of the suburbs tends to be concentrated in dark little secluded pockets where they can maintain their activity.

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-18-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM

7,862 posts, read 12,618,483 times
Have any of you youngster heasrd of King City or Claremont? These are places for people who are over 55 ( I know old people ) . Just wanted to make sure that they were in decent areas. One is near Sauvie Island , I think & one is a little city unto itself, but in the NE (no good, right?) .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-08-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,435,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Have any of you youngster heasrd of King City or Claremont? These are places for people who are over 55 ( I know old people ) . Just wanted toi make sure that they were in decent areas. One is near Sauvie Island , I think & one is a little city unto itself, but in the NE (no good, right?) .

King City virtually in Tigard, is at the bottom of the hill from the relatively upper income Bull Mountain above it, and across the street from areas like Summerfield, also loaded with retirees and the 9 hole golf course.

King City also has a golf course in it.

It's a SW neighborhood, far removed from Portland's NE or SE.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,680,149 times
Yep, better be aware of them thar Republicans! They might have a gun in their house. Also, they have different opinions and we CAN'T have that. Honor "diversity"! Beware!

Fact is, Washington County is going more Democrat. That's born out by the elections.

Hillsboro has some wonderful areas. The reason some people don't like it is because they're picking out the bad areas that are primarily hispanic and using it to paint Hillsboro with a broad brush.

Beaverton has some great areas. As with any 90000+ city it's going to have bad areas. Places like Murrayhill are outstanding.

When you say "ghetto" I have a feeling you're talking about ghettos that you see on TV. Portland doesn't have anything like that. With our urban growth boundary, the lower class areas are becoming gentrified which helps to mitigate any crime. Yes, there's gangs. I defy you to find any 2 million+ metro area without that problem. Still, it's going to be less an issue here than many places, yet more than a small town like you're from. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM

216 posts, read 645,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Yep, better be aware of them thar Republicans! They might have a gun in their house. Also, they have different opinions and we CAN'T have that. Honor "diversity"! Beware!

Fact is, Washington County is going more Democrat. That's born out by the elections.

Hillsboro has some wonderful areas. The reason some people don't like it is because they're picking out the bad areas that are primarily hispanic and using it to paint Hillsboro with a broad brush.

Beaverton has some great areas. As with any 90000+ city it's going to have bad areas. Places like Murrayhill are outstanding.

When you say "ghetto" I have a feeling you're talking about ghettos that you see on TV. Portland doesn't have anything like that. With our urban growth boundary, the lower class areas are becoming gentrified which helps to mitigate any crime. Yes, there's gangs. I defy you to find any 2 million+ metro area without that problem. Still, it's going to be less an issue here than many places, yet more than a small town like you're from. Good luck!
I love your way of thinking Bobmulk!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 3,419 times
Boy am I tired of Hillsboro and Beaverton getting overgeneralized. I agree with those that can acknowledge that every city has good and bad. We have neighbors that just moved here from Tigard and much prefer Hillsboro. To each their own.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:48 PM

542 posts, read 607,303 times
Default checking on crime stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbunny1 View Post
I'm moving to Portland in a few months and had a few questions....first, I'm from a small town with little crime and am a bit concerned about the crime rate in Portland...any tips or suggestions? Or what is considered a "bad" or "ghetto" area of Portland...and what are the good areas...besides Lake Oswego.
My boyfriend might be getting a job on Scientific Ave....if anyone knows where that is? Its also near Cedar Mill or Oak Hills......any suggestions or opinions would be so GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Check out PortlandMaps to see what areas have crime, what types etc. Just type in an address or intersection and click on crime... You can get a pretty good idea of what's what and where. I live near Gresham and find that Gresham is really pretty low in crime. It is quite a bit farther out than you'd probably want to be if your boyfriend is working in the Cedar Hills area, though! It's the area between the eastern outskirts of Portland proper and Gresham where there are more issues.

I would not consider any area of Portland true Ghetto, like Chicago, St. Louis, even Kansas City or Atlanta have. (My definition, by the way is a very stressed area where folks are living so below the poverty line that their focus is all about getting all of what they can, whether they have a right to it or not, just to get by... Their anger and frustration tends to be directed at anyone that has more than they do. Sometimes it erupts violently - towards themselves, those close to them, or anyone in the way. Perhaps it is a matter of degree.) There are threadbare areas here where the number of vehicles parked in the yards and streets far outnumber the houses...and who knows how many even run! In those neighborhoods, many of the inhabitants live quite poorly.

There are websites that address and describe various neighborhoods in the Portland area, and some that have lists of rental properties. You might find those very helpful.

The areas you are interested in are nice... mostly ranches, and there are apartments nearby as well.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

18 posts, read 74,857 times
King City is a pretty nice area...I have a friend that lives over there. It's pretty close to Bridgeport, which is a great outdoor shopping center.

I live in Murrayhill and it's great. Crowded, yes...but what do you expect? But it's a good area and every amenity you could ever need close by. I rent a 3 bed/2.5 bath town home for $1100/mo which is awesome...but similar ones in my neighborhood go for around $1300 now...we've been here for a couple years and rent hasn't gone up for us yet.

And like Bobmulk said, Hillsboro has some very nice areas. Downtown Hillsboro is adorable...and Orenco Station is very up and coming. Lots of new construction and new stores.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM

61 posts, read 270,678 times
For someone to say avoid Gresham must be someone who's never been there. Yes there's a neighborhood in Gresham that has a high crime rate, but Gresham is over 95,000 people and it's pretty spread out. I'd say most of Gresham feels just like a middle-class suburb. Why do people generalize areas so much on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland