Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM

111 posts, read 171,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
YES. I'm a 6 foot 1, 240 pound man and there's definitely vast areas of North and far East Portland that I would fear for my life in walking out late at night. Like pretty much anything east of 82nd Ave, and most areas north of Lloyd Center feel unsafe to me when it's dark. I'm sure to a 90 pound woman far more so.
Lloyd Center itself? Yeah, maybe, if you're just not a city person at all. MOST areas north of it though? Come on now, go to Google Maps and drop a street-view guy basically anywhere to the immediate north of that area. Those are some of the nicest neighborhoods in Portland, and also just about any "inner-city" in America. Irvington, Alameda Ridge, the already gentrified and getting yuppier everyday N Williams and Mississippi? Unsafe? Holy crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Some of the neighborhoods up by the horse track are pretty bizarre. I call it the "forgotten Portland." You think "Am I am in Portland or in Paddleflap, Tennessee?"

Another weird place is on Lombard North of St. John's. A very dark and ominous, strange place. Not trying to be funny, either. I get a really weird vibe when I've been up there a few times. Another area of Portland that I'll bet 95% or residents have never been to.
I'd agree those would be two areas I wouldn't want to walk at night, though in St. Johns you're really looking at Fessenden as the bad area - Lombard and the residential streets just immediately north are pretty safe.

Plus I'd say those areas are pretty different. Around the horse track as a nighttime pedestrian your big risk would be cars (few sidewalks, narrow shoulders in many places, traffic moving pretty fast). Second biggest risk might be...coyotes? To the extent there is crime up there it's mostly larceny and vehicle break-ins at the track, not stabbings or even muggings. Most of the people who do live up there are working class.

In terms of personal crime, sure, around the intersection of Fessenden and Columbia Way wouldn't be my first choice for night-time wanderings.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,270 times
Default oregons got ghettos

there most definitely are "ghettos" in oregon. there is a ghetto wherever you go and oregon has a few. there's crime all over north east especially on 162nd, its a grimy lil area over there. there's rough spots over in hillsboro and around 187 ave as well. i've seen shootings, people jump off buildings downtown, burglaries, break ins, gang activity, assault, you name it. you just gotta know where to go and where to stay away from.

Last edited by yasmin11; 06-14-2016 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmin11 View Post
i've seen shootings, people jump off buildings downtown, burglaries, break ins, gang activity, assault, you name it. you just gotta know where to go and where to stay away from.
Wow, I haven't seen half the mayhem you have, and I grew up in a very violent and depressed ghetto of Brooklyn, NY! I think you need to start taking some of your own advice. Just saying...

Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmin11 View Post
there most definitely are "ghettos" in oregon. there is a ghetto wherever you go and oregon has a few. there's crime all over north east especially on 162nd, its a grimy lil area over there. there's rough spots over in hillsboro and around 187 ave as well. i've seen shootings, people jump off buildings downtown, burglaries, break ins, gang activity, assault, you name it. you just gotta know where to go and where to stay away from.
Sounds like a Batman movie.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 AM

358 posts, read 470,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Sounds like a Batman movie.

There is a lot of crime in Rockwood. 162nd is particularly bad.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,025 times
North Portland and Gresham. Definitely ghettos by our standards.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:54 PM

102 posts, read 90,187 times
It seems the more I went down 82nd Ave the more ghetto it got.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:52 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
The worst part to me is that area on the Portland/Gresham borderline. Both Portland and Gresham seem to improve the further away you get from that.

North Portland seems fine to me & in another 10-15 years will probably be completely gentrified & unaffordable. People told that was the "bad" neighborhood and some even said "black" part if town (and therefore scary). I found myself wandering North Portland wondering where the black people were.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,921 times
Portland is a great city but it does has its ups and down. So I just bought me a house in southeast. And commute through the bad areas. Slot of gang violence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland