Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times

Advertisements

But the cyclists weren't on CC or Powell. They were on smaller streets with bike lanes crossing those streets. We don't have all the details but it appears that the motorized vehicles did not yield to oncoming traffic (non-motorized vehicles) when turning left onto the major thoroughfares.

Powell and 26th is crazy if you're on 26th, especially if you're turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
But the cyclists weren't on CC or Powell. They were on smaller streets with bike lanes crossing those streets. We don't have all the details but it appears that the motorized vehicles did not yield to oncoming traffic (non-motorized vehicles) when turning left onto the major thoroughfares.

Powell and 26th is crazy if you're on 26th, especially if you're turning.
That intersection needs turn signals and no left turns on red.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
26th and Powell is dangerous for everyone because it lacks dedicated left turnlights and is considered a major bike route.
Well, then it seems that since it is a major east west corridor, a state highway 26, congested, dangerous for everyone, then maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea to turn it into a "major bike route".
Wouldn't that have been just plain common sense?
That should have been thought out a little bit.

Quote:
You can say bikes should be banned from certain roads, but that is unrealistic because most of those roads cyclists have to cross.
So build them safe crossing lanes in an area that isn't so congested and dangerous.
A tunnel or bridge maybe, since it seems most cyclists tend to ignore stop signs and stop lights?

There is no absolute need to cross at the most difficult and dangerous section of those roads.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, then it seems that since it is a major east west corridor, a state highway 26, congested, dangerous for everyone, then maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea to turn it into a "major bike route".
Is that just plain common sense?
Oh sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to 26th being a major bike route, not Powell. But when on 26th, you have to cross Powell and it is an intersection that doesn't have dedicated turn lights which makes it dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists because drivers turning left make knee-jerk reactions.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 PM

Maybe there is a better place to cross like down by McDonalds or the track field, or maybe turning the railroad bridge into a bike crossing.

Either that or condemn Burgerville and the park and make some major improvements there.
A light may help traffic flow, but I don't think it would help cyclists any.

Maybe a special flashing light only for cyclists to cross?
They could wait to cross, and then when the light flashes.....

That's a really crappy intersection. It always has been.

What's an extra block or two when lives could easily be saved?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:06 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
It is a crappy intersection. While a few blocks away might work for bicyclists riding through, the intersection would still suck because high schoolers are immortal (in their opinion) and they walk from the high school to the coffee shop to the park to Burgerville. I'm not sure getting some bikers off 26th would make that intersection better. Getting the left turn lights installed would.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe there is a better place to cross like down by McDonalds or the track field, or maybe turning the railroad bridge into a bike crossing.

Either that or condemn Burgerville and the park and make some major improvements there.
A light may help traffic flow, but I don't think it would help cyclists any.

Maybe a special flashing light only for cyclists to cross?
They could wait to cross, and then when the light flashes.....

That's a really crappy intersection. It always has been.

What's an extra block or two when lives could easily be saved?
Or actual turn signal lights with a no left turn on red would solve so many issues with this intersection....that is probably the easiest fix that could be done. Not having to worry about erratic left turning cars would do wonders for making that intersection safer. I have been in a car many times turning left there and can see where the danger with that is because those turning are just looking at the coming gap between cars for them to turn, not the bicycles those oncoming cars might be hiding.

The driver was cited for the accident today doing just what I said was dangerous for everyone at that intersection...a turn signal would have potentially prevented this accident.
Bicyclist hit by SUV on SE Powell Boulevard

Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM

I had several kids of mine go to Cleveland.
I always worried.

I wonder how many Cleveland kids (or pedestrians) versus cyclists have been struck by cars over the years in that particular area?

It seems like more cyclists have been hurt, but I can't find any statistics on this.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Well, our wonderful mayor has finally woken up and publically declared that this is a problem area, and that it needs improvement.

He proposing a study that looks into installing a new trafic light.
So maybe after a few more accidents, maybe next year something will be done.
Then they can all pat themselves on the back for taking care of us minions.

Better late than never I guess.
Portland never seems to get it's priorities straight.

With all the miserable traffic and dangerous road problems we have, at least they had the foresight to build the much needed, and extemely important to have, Tillicum Crossing.

Maybe that should have come second or third or fourth place after other "big important things" got fixed, but who are we to challenge our city governments wisdom.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-31-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Well, our wonderful mayor has finally woken up and publically declared that this is a problem area, and that it needs improvement.

He proposing a study that looks into installing a new trafic light.
So maybe after a few more accidents, maybe next year something will be done.
Then they can all pat themselves on the back for taking care of us minions.

Better late than never I guess.
Portland never seems to get it's priorities straight.

With all the miserable traffic and dangerous road problems we have, at least they had the foresight to build the much needed, and extemely important to have, Tillicum Crossing.

Maybe that should have come second or third or fourth place after other "big important things" got fixed, but who are we to challenge our city governments wisdom.
Good to hear they might actually be doing something at that intersection....Though not sure what the Tillicum Crossing has to do with this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland