Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
As for swiss in big blocks, isn't that a quantity issue more than a quality issue?

Ohh man - no way - baby swiss is a great tasting, mellow, slightly nuttier flavor cheese; not to be confused with regular swiss. The eyes or holes in baby swiss are smaller. Baby swiss was developed in the 60's in the midwest and is made with whole milk. The eyes are smaller because cheese makers don't let baby swiss ferment as long.

I have not found baby swiss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicanne View Post
Try this: CHEESE BAR ~ Portland, Oregon; it's a well-liked cheese emporium on Belmont.

Thx -will do!

Old 05-30-2015, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 14,260 times
Wow this topic has really gotten cheesy. I love it. It's good to know that there are cheese lovers in Oregon too. Now onto something serious. Does anyone know of a place, that is relatively cheap where I could stay for a week or two til I find housing?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprl_out View Post
Wow this topic has really gotten cheesy. I love it. It's good to know that there are cheese lovers in Oregon too. Now onto something serious. Does anyone know of a place, that is relatively cheap where I could stay for a week or two til I find housing?
Someone just asked about hotels near the airport so maybe you could a search and look for recommendations.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:14 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprl_out View Post
AirBnB? "Now Portland approved!"

Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 PM

335 posts, read 406,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Job and transplant issues aside, Oregon and Wisconsin are eerily similar sans arctic winters. Portland=Milwaukee, Eugene=Madison, Cascade/Coast Range Foothills=Dells. God knows both places are awash with PBR. Sconnies seldom have trouble fitting it.
Good luck!
What is PBR?

Also, Cascade/Coast range: do you refer to the ocean and the mountains in that statement? (ie Mt Hood and the beautiful oregon coast)

Otherwise good writeup

Old 05-31-2015, 08:31 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
What is PBR?

Also, Cascade/Coast range: do you refer to the ocean and the mountains in that statement? (ie Mt Hood and the beautiful oregon coast)

Otherwise good writeup
Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Yup, the Cascade mountain range east of Portland and the Coast mountain range west of Portland.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM

13 posts, read 14,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
AirBnB? "Now Portland approved!"
That's what I was thinking too, but I just wanted to see if there was something else out there. I've done the AirBnB thing quite a bit now, and I love it. Thanks for the help anyways.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 AM

210 posts, read 251,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
That place is the most Wisconsinest thing I have ever seen.

Looks like the kind of establishment where if you wore your Hawkeye or Gopher gear on game day, some stoutly constructed Wisky coed who had been drinking since dawn would threaten to kick your ass and then puke on your shoes.
State Street Brats! I remember that place! When I first got to Madison (I am not a native Wisconsinite), I thought it was "brats" as in "spoiled brat." I thought it was just a quirky term for college students. Haha...I had a lot to learn.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
........Tillamook has some good product but I just cannot find great baby Swiss .........
Tillamook is hard to beat for aged cheddar and ice cream. That is what they specialize in.

I've had some exceptionally good Swiss that came from the deli at Winco. They sell it in blocks in a cooler in front of the deli. Extra good Swiss, but no name brand on it because it is cut from the big blocks at the deli.

Best American style mozarello is by First Street and it's their whole milk mozzarella. It's available at Cash and Carry. There is buffalo milk mozzarella at Whole Foods in little tubs full of water.

Costco carries a surprisingly good selection of imported cheeses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland