Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Portland could have done a little better without going to the extremes, maybe?
Everything doesn't have to swing to the opposites.

Like you have mentioned before, when a place is growing it's always changing.
Portland's "character" is largely ephemeral.

Portland "character" does not look or feel anything like it did in 1908.
Heck, it doesn't much look like it did in 1972, either.
Too bad somebody already destroyed Portland's "character" a long time ago.

I think one of the best things Portland could have done early on was to develop Johnson Creek Blvd into a major east west thoroughfare.
Maybe, but I am not sure how effective that would have been. By character, I was referring to the built character of the city. There once was a proposal for an interstate that would have destroyed the area around 28th and East Burnside, and just about everything along 28th.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 PM

616 posts, read 645,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe, but I am not sure how effective that would have been. By character, I was referring to the built character of the city. There once was a proposal for an interstate that would have destroyed the area around 28th and East Burnside, and just about everything along 28th.
the founding fathers of Portland were bigots--just saying

Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
the founding fathers of Portland were bigots--just saying
Yes they were, and Oregon was founded as a whites only haven, and to top it off they were too lazy to write a state constitution so they basically plagerized from other states. What does this have to do with the built environment of Portland?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM

616 posts, read 645,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes they were, and Oregon was founded as a whites only haven, and to top it off they were too lazy to write a state constitution so they basically plagerized from other states. What does this have to do with the built environment of Portland?
Actually parts of the city are still that way--they just go about it differently

Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Actually parts of the city are still that way--they just go about it differently
Maybe, I don't claim all Portlanders or even Oregonians are the same....

Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 PM

210 posts, read 251,776 times
SF is a lot more dense than Portland so you have more people crammed in a smaller amount of space, which taxes the infrastructure more. More people in a smaller amount of space and the wear and tear and grime and litter they cause.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
The difference is that you'll find this kind of stuff in all of the downtown SF areas, not just specific areas like we have here. When I go back to SF I do notice the trash and filth, which I also see here but in more specific areas of the city not everywhere. I don't remember it being as bad in the 80s and 90s as it is now in SF.

FilthySF

Old 05-29-2015, 05:18 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
I didn't find SF to be dirtier than usual when I went back home this year but I did notice how dirty NYC was the first time I went back after moving away. Now I notice the rats at the subway more than I did when I lived there. I have never seen a rat in Bart. You can't even compare Tri-Met because it doesn't have underground stations.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

171 posts, read 197,017 times
it's not true that all of SF is filthy. All of the photos on that blog are from one neighborhood, SOMA.

SOMA and 6th and Market area are indeed filthy, to a scary degree. It is unclear why the city has let that area be so gross for so long. There is another gross area, the Tenderloin. However, a lot of the loin isn't even that bad. It's mostly the parts that run into the civic center area.

The rest of SF is fine in terms of cleanliness. I'd go so far as to say it's even cleaner than a lot of other cities. The average level of cleanliness is definitely cleaner than NYC, which has a layer of grime covering basically the entirety of the 5 boroughs.

Relative to Portland, portland is much cleaner than either of these cities. However, it's also less populated, less dense and has fewer people commuting in to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland