Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 AM

616 posts, read 644,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The native Portlanders I have met during the last five and half years have been very helpful people especially at my kids' school. I have never met more caring people than the native Portlanders and long time residents of Portland that have extended good will towards my family. There are many annoying hipsters in Portland, for sure, but they are NOT the back bone of Portland. We need stickers that say, "keep Portland genuine".
The keep Portland weird thing is kind of cool in a strange way and as a centrust native I don't mind it at all,in fact part of Portland's character is its nutballs of which I can be one at times. Over the last 50 years Portland has become a very TOLERANT city and people mistake what that means.------ it just means come here to contribute help preserve the environment let people live their lives as long as it isnt hurting anything or anyone.

we really do have all types here just like in any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:21 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Its kind of funny how a city of 600,000 and a metro of 2.3 mill gets lumped into one identity
Even assuming all of Portland is just this one stereotype is false. My NE Portland neighborhood is pretty average middle class and blue-collar residents who've lived there for years, along with younger families who just moved there and a number of Vietnamese and black families. If I go just east past 82nd it's even more different than the Portlandia stereotypes. Some people seem to think Portland starts at the downtown edge of the West Hills and ends around 39th or 60th on the Eastside.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM

50 posts, read 109,546 times
[quote=Yankeemama;39779383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
A lot fewer people had their heads buried in their smartphones there.

The kids in elementary school already have their heads buried in their phones. It is EVERYWHERE! I am putting off getting my older child a phone but she has a medical disability so it will be helpful for her though I am going to have to monitor her using it. It's different times we are living in, Bluesmama. I am glad the Internet wasn'tup and running until my late 20's. I learned to talk to people face to face. Ahhh... good times!
Not to get off topic from OP, but I agree with you on the phones. My son is 14 and said he is the only one in his school (we live in West Linn which is a more affluent area, so he may be right) to not have a cell phone. I survived childhood without one and I choose. Yes CHOOSE to have a dumbphone. I had a smartphone for one year and it honestly was too distracting, it felt freeing to go back to the "old school" phone.

I've never lived in S.F. But I lived in the Bay Area for a year. It was really pretty, and while I visited SF several times so I can't compare the two cities. I come from the east coast and I agree with you on the lack of potholes here in Portland. It's so nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland