Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times

Advertisements

Okay so we currently live in Medford Oregon but my husband got a job offer in Gresham. I haven't heard nice things about Gresham so I don't feel like gresham would be the best fit for us. My brother and sister inlaw live in Beaverton so I would like to live near them as well as we would be most likely be hanging out a lot but don't want to live too far from my husbands job either any suggestions?
Also I'm a former state employee and now a county employee working in the children's outpatient mental health team and would like to work for one or the other still maybe even corrections. Any place near one of the cities you suggest. Sorry I'm asking too much but really thinking of moving. I also have a 16 month old so day care is so important as well. Please and thank you for your time and help 👪
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 AM

311 posts, read 345,919 times
What's your budget? Renting or buying?

Look at Happy Valley. It's south of Gresham in Clackamas County. You can get more house for your money and the schools are top rated. The market for buyers is slightly less insane than in Portland itself. In Portland the schools are more hit or miss, some are great, some are pretty terrible. I've also noticed quite a few daycares while driving around Happy Valley (a kindercare and a goddard school, for example).

Beaverton would be a pretty long commute from Gresham to do daily, but not too bad to travel to see family. Probably 45 minutes - an hour during non-peak times. It would depend where in Gresham and where in Beaverton.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 AM

478 posts, read 877,575 times
First of all, you may want to think twice about Gresham. Almost all of the "not so nice" things you hear about Gresham are about Rockwood, a tiny portion of Gresham on the Portland border that originally belonged to Portland. There are some absolutely lovely neighborhoods in Gresham, particularly in the southeast, below Powell Blvd. Housing prices are also still much cheaper than Portland, and cheaper than Beaverton as well. We are in the process of buying a house right now near 7th and Eastman Parkway where my sister and her son will hopefully live- $275,000 for a 4-bedroom, 3-bath house within a decent walk to downtown Gresham, the MAX, etc. The blue line MAX goes from Gresham to Beaverton. So don't write Gresham off just because of a few rumors.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:14 AM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times
There are areas of Gresham that are very nice. Shopping is good. There is light rail to take you to the middle of Portland. Traffic, though, through the center of town is awful.

I suspect that a lot of opinions about Gresham are formed by driving though the middle of town on the highway and not getting out and driving through the neighborhoods. I suggest that you at least take a look around before you decide. There is a lot to be said for living close to work and not having to do much commuting in the Portland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland