Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times

Advertisements

The Washington Post does not know what it is talking about!

Portland has NO In-and-Out Burger, Fat Burger, nor is there a Wienerschnitzel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I don't agree but I have grown up in S.F. and lived in NYC for over 15 years. I am not a hater of Portland by any means but I can't get behind hype either.
I think the difference is that it's hard to be innovative and try new things in SF and NYC at this point because of the cost of rent/opening a restaurant. Portland chefs are able to try new things because of the local food movement and because they can afford to try new things. I know when I go back to SF many of the places I loved have closed because they've been pushed out. It's too hard to survive there right now. I think these articles focus on what's happening/what's new not the long haul.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I think the difference is that it's hard to be innovative and try new things in SF and NYC at this point because of the cost of rent/opening a restaurant. Portland chefs are able to try new things because of the local food movement and because they can afford to try new things. I know when I go back to SF many of the places I loved have closed because they've been pushed out. It's too hard to survive there right now. I think these articles focus on what's happening/what's new not the long haul.
A

Blue Star Donuts is going to open in Venice Beach, CA this Summer and they already opened a location in Tokyo. The BS recipe is very expensive to make as its a brioche recipe with tons of butter and it's time consuming but by opening in niche markets... seems BS has a great opportunity to separate itself from other donut chains like Seattle's Top Pot. San Francisco is still remaining high in quality but NYC has always been the city in the U.S. with the most innovative chefs. Portland just isn't a top tier city and probably won't ever be so sure, it creates great products but as for being a number one food city in the U.S.? Let's be real. I have eaten at some of the best restaurants in NYC and S.F. and they are memorable experiences. The big cities with big investors can afford to stay open and provide the dining experience that takes you back a hundred years. The profit margin may not be great but that's not why many investors invest. There are the intangible status of being an investor in one of the greatest restaurants in a city or country. Even the lesser known chefs in NYC are still creating amazing creative food. Queens has Indian, Greek, Thai and do many other ethnic restaurants that make Pok Pok look like the poser that it is.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The Washington Post does not know what it is talking about!

Portland has NO In-and-Out Burger, Fat Burger, nor is there a Wienerschnitzel.
I'll send you an In-N-Out Burger if you send me a Burgerville USA!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I'll send you an In-N-Out Burger if you send me a Burgerville USA!
I have a neighbor who just went to visit relatives in Southern California... I was thinking I should have asked her to get me an In-N-Out Burger! But upon thinking about this, I realized she was flying and they would have confiscated it at security!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: