Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on one's taste, that fake Miami look isn't my style, I would take a much more natural Oregon girl any day.
I agree I have never been interested in South Beach/Laguna Beach types. Actually, I always thought Oklahoma City had a large amount of incredibly attractive women who were also down to earth, positive and smart, maybe it was just because I did not expect that of Oklahoma City but I have yet to feel the same way about a locations women. In my teens stationed in Texas, me and several friends used to drive 4 hours to OKC just for a weekend.

Back to Portland...
I'm seeing a lot more of what KJoe is describing. My thing is the tattoos and all the metal crap they have hanging out of their lip. A co-worker of my wifes fits Kjoes description to a T. She is obsessed with pin ups and Bettie Page and refers to herself as voluptuous. Shes pushing a BMI of 30+ and is constantly pulling down her ill fitting shirt. but of course she has no shortage of man friends...

If you want to find them just go anywhere poor hipster 20 somethings hang out. St. Johns is probably the best place. But Belmont or Hawthorne, anywhere really where they serve PBR and have live music. Anywhere downtown at a large gathering like Bite of Oregon especially.

Just so you all know, men have not cornered the market on being critical about looks of the opposite sex. There were two or three threads in here about women mad they had heard Portland was great for outdoor recreation and could not believe all the out of shape unhealthy bearded men with potbellies who drink and smoke nonstop.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Just so you all know, men have not cornered the market on being critical about looks of the opposite sex. There were two or three threads in here about women mad they had heard Portland was great for outdoor recreation and could not believe all the out of shape unhealthy bearded men with potbellies who drink and smoke nonstop.
Or wear skinny jeans:
"Just got back from visiting Portland, and for a place that boasts all of it's wonderful outdoor opportunities, I was surprised to see more hipsters than rugged, outdoorsy type people.":

The whole thread: Rugged, outdoorsy types in Portland?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
I agree I have never been interested in South Beach/Laguna Beach types. Actually, I always thought Oklahoma City had a large amount of incredibly attractive women who were also down to earth, positive and smart, maybe it was just because I did not expect that of Oklahoma City but I have yet to feel the same way about a locations women. In my teens stationed in Texas, me and several friends used to drive 4 hours to OKC just for a weekend.

Back to Portland...
I'm seeing a lot more of what KJoe is describing. My thing is the tattoos and all the metal crap they have hanging out of their lip. A co-worker of my wifes fits Kjoes description to a T. She is obsessed with pin ups and Bettie Page and refers to herself as voluptuous. Shes pushing a BMI of 30+ and is constantly pulling down her ill fitting shirt. but of course she has no shortage of man friends...

If you want to find them just go anywhere poor hipster 20 somethings hang out. St. Johns is probably the best place. But Belmont or Hawthorne, anywhere really where they serve PBR and have live music. Anywhere downtown at a large gathering like Bite of Oregon especially.

There are too many different types of people to generalize like this. If it is something that attracts you, then good, if not, then go towards what does. That is what I have always said. There are going to be out of shape and over weight people anywhere you go in this country, we are unfortunately an obese country in general.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I apologize in advance if some may find this post insulting. It is certainly not the intention but to inform any potential single hetero men considering moving to the area.

Guys, the women in the Portland area are big, really big. Nearly all women are over weight. And, I would guesstimate that 2/3 are obese.

it is very unusual to see any normal women in the area. This may not apply to all age groups. However, the majority are very unhealthy. Their attire is absolutely appalling. They wear tight clothing and rolls of skin are peeking out in all openings in fabric. Cheap tattoos are considered fashionable as well as spandex.

I don't know what are the stats on this kind of information. However, I will assume it is under reported. Do not judge by observing the women who are biking, jogging, and exercising. There are always exceptions. Instead, go to the grocery store or mall to get a true sample.

If I was single, this simple truth would convince me to consider alternative cities.

Men and women all over the world are varied, it's a human thing one cannot get away from when one is human.

Also, those you consider unattractive may not be considered that way to others, it also could be that 2/3 of the women you do not consider obese do not find you attractive because you wear absolutely appalling attire, walk funny and don't have a cheap tattoo.......

Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 AM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
I grew up in Eugene and have lived in Portland since I began college so I have a pretty good grasp on the vibe of both cities and the generalities of the men and women that live there. South Eugene definitely has the outdoorsy, runner vibe with many people. They wear nikes or Keens, have bike racks/ski racks on their Subaru Outbacks or VW vanagon westfalias for camping.

I really do not get the outdoorsy feeling from portlanders. In my 11 years here and going to PSU and spending a lot of time in SE, downtown, and now north portland, I think the Portland by the people is much more slanted towards coffee shops, books, bicycles but not in the athletic way but in the bike around town wearing army boots and a skirt way).

I've never really thought about it before but Portlanders don't strike me as very outdoorsy. I think the most typical Portlanders would be in the bookshop drinking coffee with a huge beard, glasses, flannel shirt, and maybe even a pack of lucky strikes in their back pocket. Quite the opposite of the outdoorsy marathon runner.

And back to the Portland women topic, I picture a typical Portland woman wearing one of those dresses that looks like it's made out of a tablecloth with lemons or cherries all over it, Red lipstick, and choppy messy hair and granny glasses.

I think if you want a woman who likes running half marathons, hiking, and camping you need to go to Eugene Or Bend.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 AM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
If I were to cast actresses who I feel embody the portland image, I would hire Ellen Page (from Juno), Rebel Wilson, Minnie Driver (Circle of Friends era), Daria (the cartoon), and Anne Hathaway in Princess Diaries before she got her makeover. And maybe Darlene from Roseanne. And for the role of the hottest girl at the bar in portland? Probably Kristen Stewart.

These would be my choices for a Sex and the City show Portland style.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Personally I find tats and studs repulsive on both men and women.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
I've been here for six or so years now and I have not seen a single thread slamming men in Portland for intrinsics of physique like weight. Men have indeed cornered that market, and the ones most vocal about it usually have the most stringent requirements. When your ideal womans physique is a size 0 its going to be hard in any city to get any satisfaction. Portland women run the spectrum just like anywhere but the concentration of HWP women is quite reasonable. It is well known that in the MidWest and the South the women run way larger than in the NorthWest. Not even close. So to be really useful the o.p. should include a list of those alternative cities where the women are more HWP than Portland. And are also highly rated places to live. As it stands, the thread premise is gratuitously mean spirited. It is also flat out wrong. Maybe the o.p. is trying to corner the market on HWP women by driving off male competition through misdirection. That would contradict his implied claim of not being in the market himself.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 AM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
US people are extremely fat, men or women (it looks a lot uglier on men, though). I think Portland does have some mentality against fitness and keeping in shape.

Last edited by opossum_; 07-06-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Dude, lady or whatever. Read my post. What part "if I was single.." you don't understand? This is observation is shared by many, not just by me. People can weigh whatever they want. Now, guys are visual creatures. Tone women will definitely will get noticed. And I call b.s. on some who say they don't care about that. Everyone wants choices, including relationships. Good news is there is a choice

Oh please no sexist, misogynist bs. "guys are visual creatures", "we ARE ENTITLED", etc...Women are visual creatures just as well, and most American men are ugly as hell now, fat, looking like some kind of elephants (ewww). You think you're Jonny Depp? I bet you get the chicks that look just like you. Are you 5% bodyfat athletic? Nope you ain't. Discussion reminds me of fat dudes laying on the coach in front of the big TV whining they can't get (insert some actress name), with their belly dangling out of greasy shorts. You better be in Hollywood actor shape yourself if you expect women to be in-shape, it works both ways. Portland has plenty of lean women, and it's sad when men who are invisible to them due to their looks complain online yes, it's a competitive world out there.

Last edited by opossum_; 07-06-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland