Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 02:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,188 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm 17 and I want to runaway I live in oregon so it's not illegal I was wondering if I runaway could I get a job because I need to support myself somehow and if a cops sees me could he bring me back or would he do nothing I think in oregon your parent has to find you and cops won't do anything as long as your 16 or older and can support yourself I'm I right or wrong
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 AM

609 posts, read 808,165 times
Oregon won't offer you anything you can't find at home. Why do you want to run away? Where do you live now?

If you have any sort of fantasy that Oregon is some kind of haven for young people, it's not. It's really just like everywhere else.

Could you tell us a little bit more about your situation?

If I were 17 or 18 and wanted to move and make a new start I'd go somewhere where the cost of living is really low and employment is easy to get. Oregon is kind of the opposite for both. I don't even live in the cool part of town in Portland and the people who work at the Taco Bell across the street from me are all in their 30s.

I would probably recommend going somewhere like Arizona for the cost of living is really low or maybe Texas. I just heard that Texas is the best state for employment.

When you're trying to start a new life from scratch the difference between a one bedroom apartment for $500 and a one bedroom apartment for $1200 is astronomical.

Why do you want to come to Oregon in particular?

If you driven, responsible, and keep your nose clean and a hard worker you could do it.

Last edited by eric351982; 07-08-2015 at 03:04 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM

O I am 17 and I already have a job it took me only 2 weeks to get a job and oregon is not to bad and I also have a friend that would be living with me his parents kind of kicked him out and in grants pass we were finding 2 bedrooms for 7 to 8 hundred it might be. Because you live in a city lol and there are a lot of reasons I want to leave my parents are divorced and I lived with both and my moms house I'm treated like a slave I get yelled at for nothing I had to do yard work all day right when I got home from school and I had to make alchohal drinks for her and my dad's how's I was forced to get a job and my dad's wife is the worst sh
I have to be up at 7 on the weekends and summer if I wake up any later I get bitched at for 2 hours and I got a D in one of my classes and they are making me retake the class even though I passed it I have to take it in summer school and I have to pay for it and if I don't know something they will call me retarted so yah and also I'm really tired of being in the cross fire of my parents arguments so that's why I wanna leave

Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,661 times
Basically, you're 17 and your parents know nothing. Run away and find out that you have to work 12 hour days at 3 different part time jobs and have to live on ramen noodles to be able to afford a closet with sloppy roommates. Then complain about waking up at 7 am and having to take a summer class.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Ok you obviously know nothing right now I make the same amount my mom does it it's only a part time job minimum wage is 9.25 here not 7.25 like most states and if you lived with my parents you would know I was raised to do what ever I wanted because my parents don't give a **** and my dad and step mom get drunk and smoke weed every night I already only eat once maybe twice a day and that's at work the only thing they are doing for me is paying rent I would rather work more and pay rent to be treated like **** all I would need is to switch to full time and that's only 8 more hours that I already work

Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Also I did your little math with the 12 hours a day I would make over 3 thousand a month I don't need that much especially if I have a roommate that would pay half the rent

Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgumrey507 View Post
Also I did your little math with the 12 hours a day I would make over 3 thousand a month I don't need that much especially if I have a roommate that would pay half the rent
dont forget to add food, utilities and transportation to your math. I don't know how it would work renting to a minor...maybe Oregonwoodsmoke can chime in on that. Can 17 year olds sign rental agreements/contracts legally? Does it affect your rights as a renter? What if you can't find full time work here? Or part time work? Do you have a plan B?

Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,404 times
Although I do not rally for running away, I have seen, that sometimes some "home" lives are not what some of us think or had.
Sometimes busting your hump at age 17, working long hours (or multiple jobs) is a safer and healthier environment for a person.
I am not taking sides, just stating that there can be valid reasons a person needs/ wants to be independent.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,499 times
I found this on a free legal advice site:

"Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord canot discriminate on age when it comes to renting a unit. As such, a person who is not an adult (such as you who is 17 years of age) can legally rent an apartment with or without the co-signing of your parents. However, under the laws of all states in this country, you can terminate your lease while a minor in that under the law, minors are not deemed legally capable of contracting."

So being 17 should not be an issue.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 PM

346 posts, read 463,940 times
Running away will do nothing for your grammar and punctuation, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland