Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
I question how desirable Portland really is to most of the nation. Dont get me wrong I think the city is beautiful(I was born here and grew up between Belmont and Stark) but Im not so sure its population growth alone that's fueling the high cost of living fire. Many many other cities are growing at an equal or higher rate than Portland and are still providing much more affordable housing solutions and offer better job opportunities. Something is not right in Rip City
Like what kind of affordable housing solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,281 times
Portland is attempting to develop a dense, "green", and vibrant region. I suppose that's fine since we ultimately elected the politicians who are charting this course, but the side effects are that the policies will limit certain types of job growth and increase the cost of living compared to other metros with a more business friendly or lower cost environment.

While I don't agree with tone of those who say"don't like PDX? Then leave!!!"... At the same time there is morsel of truth in it. This is how we are set up, this is apparently what we want for better or for worse, so you can embrace it (warts and all), you can work to change it, or you can look for a better fit. I'd suggest Seattle, San Antonio, Raleigh, Cleveland, or Nashville as alternatives; they all share some characteristics of Portland but have significant and distinct differences too.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
there is a STUNNING amount of multi unit housing going up within the urban core and I am curious to see what impact that has on rents and on transportation policy (especially biking).

Old 07-22-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
there is a STUNNING amount of multi unit housing going up within the urban core and I am curious to see what impact that has on rents and on transportation policy (especially biking).
That is what I am excited to see, as this metro grows, it is good to see it starting to go up rather than out.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
That is what I am excited to see, as this metro grows, it is good to see it starting to go up rather than out.
yes me too. At the same it takes a certain price point for that development to make sense. Utopia ain't cheap!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times
Quote:
for starters more competition

Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
yes me too. At the same it takes a certain price point for that development to make sense. Utopia ain't cheap!
Portland is far from utopia, it may be better than Cincinnati or St Louis or whatever city you may not like

lets talk about 1/4 of the city on food stamps shall we?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
with a current unemployment of 5.4% I expect they will be lowering rents once the unemployment gets back to 8% or so within the next 18 months

Old 07-23-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
for starters more competition
In the form of what? What kind of competition are you talking about?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
with a current unemployment of 5.4% I expect they will be lowering rents once the unemployment gets back to 8% or so within the next 18 months
So what information do you have that shows Portland will see an increase of almost 3% unemployment over the course of the next year and a half? Is there something coming we should be aware of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland