Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,456 times

Advertisements

Hi there !!

I actually just posted about interest in Sherwood (sorry about the double posting ), but I reallllly really need help from anyone who is familiar with Hillsboro!

As I wrote before, hubby just had his job transferred to Hillsboro (we live in California) and we want to buy a house somewhere nearby. At first we were considering Portland (but found it was too pricy for our budget 300-425k), and have also been interested in Sherwood and other suburbs near Hillsboro. However, to make a long story short, we found a house that we LOVE in Hillsboro. The only problem is that I am totally unfamiliar with neighborhood there. Is there anyone here that can help me!!?? The house we are looking at is on Cedar St in Hillsboro (crossing 7th avenue). I have a toddler and plan on stroller her around a lot, so safety is a must for me. Other families/child-friendly neighborhood would be great too.

Here is a link to the map:https://www.google.com/maps/place/SE...8736e2ea0462e6

Depending on what type of area this is, we might put an offer in so any help would be sooo appreciated.

Also, if this IS not a great area, any other "not-so-great" areas I should know about in Hillsboro?

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,751 times
All I can see is that it's right by a hospital and about a mile from the airport, so it might be noisy.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,751 times
Looks like you could walk to the Farmers' Markets though...

Old 07-14-2015, 12:53 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
It looks overpriced for the area as homes in that area should be in the low 200's. I've been looking at houses under 300, 000 in all of Washington County and after seeing 4 or 5 in Hillsboro I've removed it from my search criteria.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:22 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
That intersection is a couple of blocks away from a very busy street, state highway 8 - it's both east and north of the house. It would be an easy walk to the library, the pool/recreation center, and many shops and restaurants, including a Mexican supermarket. I'm not familiar enough to say much more; perhaps Leisesturm will comment - he lived in that area a few years ago.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larabara View Post
Hi there !!

I actually just posted about interest in Sherwood (sorry about the double posting ), but I reallllly really need help from anyone who is familiar with Hillsboro!

As I wrote before, hubby just had his job transferred to Hillsboro (we live in California) and we want to buy a house somewhere nearby. At first we were considering Portland (but found it was too pricy for our budget 300-425k), and have also been interested in Sherwood and other suburbs near Hillsboro. However, to make a long story short, we found a house that we LOVE in Hillsboro. The only problem is that I am totally unfamiliar with neighborhood there. Is there anyone here that can help me!!?? The house we are looking at is on Cedar St in Hillsboro (crossing 7th avenue). I have a toddler and plan on stroller her around a lot, so safety is a must for me. Other families/child-friendly neighborhood would be great too.

Here is a link to the map:https://www.google.com/maps/place/SE...8736e2ea0462e6

Depending on what type of area this is, we might put an offer in so any help would be sooo appreciated.

Also, if this IS not a great area, any other "not-so-great" areas I should know about in Hillsboro?

Thanks in advance !
No, is not a good area at all. You need to go further north east from there to be in a much better area. Anything south of highway 8 is not that good.
From highway 26... At 185th all the way west to Brookwood right before the Airport . From these 2 points go down south to Baseline. There are some Aloha addresses in nox but that whole section is where you want to be. The closer you are to 26 is the better than further south pass Baseline and everything south of TV highway is even worse.
The newer Hillsboro Library today is on Brookwood Parkway right next to Triquint.
Orenco station is much better area. You better off in Forest Grove than around downtown Hiilsboro.
Good luck.

Last edited by Discovery1; 07-14-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
No, is not a good area at all. You need to go further north east from there to be in a much better area. Anything south of highway 8 is not that good.
From highway 26... At 185th all the way west to Brookwood right before the Airport . From these 2 points go down south to Baseline. There are some Aloha addresses in nox but that whole section is where you want to be. The closer you are to 26 is the better than further south pass Baseline and everything south of TV highway is even worse.
The newer Hillsboro Library today is on Brookwood Parkway right next to Triquint.
Orenco station is much better area. You better off in Forest Grove than around downtown Hiilsboro.
Good luck.
I second that anywhere near downtown Hillsboro is not desirable; the population around there tends to be low income and many of them are folks for whom English is a second language. Not a total high crime hood, but not that great either. You should check the school ratings; most of the schools in that area tend to be bad or at best mediocre.

Really you don't want to get anything in Hillsboro that is South of Cornell (except around Orenco Station you can go a little further South but not past Baseline) and West of Brookwood. Have you seen the house in person or are you thinking about putting in an offer sight unseen? I get the vibe you haven't seen the house in person since I would think you could tell just by looking up and down the street that the house is in an undesirable neighborhood. FYI, your link doesn't work but I took a look at the satellite view and that area you mention is full of apartment buildings and multi-family housing. That would make it an especially undesirable area of Hillsboro to purchase in.

Last edited by patches403; 07-14-2015 at 11:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland