Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM

45 posts, read 42,853 times

Advertisements

here is the deal, its me and my girlfriend, we have one car, i have a job at big als (so progress ridge, beaverton oregon near tigard). she just got a job at kmart (just north of farmington in beaverton)

we are trying to find a apartment/house/duplex something to rent after our current lease is up. we want to spend under 1000 after utilities, and have a washer and dryer in it. it has to be close enough that one of us can reliably take the bus to work. and also be close enough to go to a nearby community college to get some transferrable credits for pacific university in forest grove.

My girlfriend and I have been searching constantly for 2 months now and we have a few things to look at but overall its been VERY difficult.

Its either in a horrible neighborhood with plenty of crime, or a apartment that im pretty sure couldnt pass a health code if its owners life depended on it. or both. and its still around 1000. if we try to make it nice it jumps to the 1200-1400 range for a 1 bed. we dont make enough for that.

does anyone know of any areas we havent checked? ive checked beaverton, aloha, forest grove, tigard, tualitin, sherwood, no luck so far.

we are just frustrated and figured id ask for help here while we keep looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
I am surprised you haven't found anything in Aloha. I think there are safe but humble areas there. Maybe you can squeeze into a studio for a while until you get more settled. Maybe house sharing is a possibility. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I am surprised you haven't found anything in Aloha. I think there are safe but humble areas there. Maybe you can squeeze into a studio for a while until you get more settled. Maybe house sharing is a possibility. Good luck!
everyone has told us how aloha is full of crime. and no house sharing, none.

and most studios are still close to 1000.

thanks!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
I see three posibilities using Padmapper.com.

1BR/1BA Apartment

1BR/1BA Apartment

1BR/1BA Apartment

Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 PM

amusingly we have those 3 on our list heh

Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonfaber View Post
everyone has told us how aloha is full of crime. and no house sharing, none.

and most studios are still close to 1000.

thanks!
Aloha is full of crime? In reference to what? In general, you are gonna be fine just about anywhere you are looking, just don't leave stuff in your car.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonfaber View Post
....Its either in a horrible neighborhood with plenty of crime, or a apartment that im pretty sure couldnt pass a health code if its owners life depended on it......
Everybody wants cheap rent, but nobody wants to live in areas where the rent is cheap. Probably because they don't want to live next to people like themselves who can't afford more rent.

You aren't going to find a nice clean safe house or apartment in a middle class walkable neighborhood for $800 month-- which is what you need if all your housing, including all your utilities have to come out under $1000 a month. You are simply going to have to resign yourself to making some compromises about what you can afford

Old 07-15-2015, 10:53 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Everybody wants cheap rent, but nobody wants to live in areas where the rent is cheap. Probably because they don't want to live next to people like themselves who can't afford more rent.

You aren't going to find a nice clean safe house or apartment in a middle class walkable neighborhood for $800 month-- which is what you need if all your housing, including all your utilities have to come out under $1000 a month. You are simply going to have to resign yourself to making some compromises about what you can afford
Or make some other adjustment to your budget. I can't believe how many people spend $10 everyday for two coffees at Starbucks or wherever. An extra $300. a month will put you in a nicer apartment.....

Old 07-15-2015, 01:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
There's really nowhere on the Westside that's got that much crime. The areas that do have higher crime it's things like theft and car break-ins, not assault and murder. Are there neighborhoods that I would not live in on the Westside because I consider them undesirable? Yes absolutely but it's not because they are full of crime. There isn't a single neighborhood on the Westside where I would fear for my safety if I lived there.

To the OP, the most likely possible cities for your budget that have access to transit on the Westside are Aloha, Hillsboro, and Beaverton but the sad reality is your budget is just too low to find much on the Westside. Really your budget is too low for just about anywhere in the entire metro area. That's why many people here are living 2 or more families to a house or have multiple roommates. Suggest you try and find another single/couple to share a 2 bedroom place with; that would easily bring your monthly cost below $1,000.

Last edited by patches403; 07-15-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:39 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times
apt rents are climbing thanks to 15 years of very little profit to landlords and in a lot of cases losses. Its tough out there. Owners are trying to recoup the bad years while they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland