Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
This is the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a long, long time.
Portlanders will always vote for the "trendy" candidate who's politically correct and who all their friends are voting for, and really give no thought to that candidates policies. Political herd mentality at it's finest.

IMHO, Portland's last several mayors and councils have been extremely short sighted and lacking in long term policies.

They all remind me of an immature teenager who gets a summer job, and all of a sudden has a few bucks to spend and then blows it all on "fun stuff" instead of putting some of the money away for the future.

Just for giggles, tell me who the the last Portland mayor and council (in recent memory) were that were not a waste of time?

Sam Adams? (Waste of time.)
Tom Potter? (Irrelevant)
Vera Katz? (Started the spending spree)
Beatnik Bud Clark? (not a career politician, but actually started to bring Portland out of it's doldrums)
Frank Ivancie? (Maybe ok)
I miss the Vera Katz, Adams, Sten, Leonard era of Portland. I feel like they were all strong people with a good vision for Portland. So, no, I don't make my decision based on what is trendy or politically correct for city council. I look for people who have drive and a vision for the city. The current council lacks this.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Really.

You think those were some of the "golden" years of Portland, huh?
Visionaries huh?
Look where they got us.
I suppose they may have been good for some things.

I think I am beginning to understand you a little better.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Really.

You think those were some of the "golden" years of Portland, huh?
Visionaries huh?
Look where they got us.
I suppose they may have been good for some things.

I think I am beginning to understand you a little better.
That's fine if you disagree, that is my opinion and you asked for it.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:53 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Well thank you for responding!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Well thank you for responding!
You're welcome, to expand on what I said, I think Bud was a good mayor because he knew how to really engage with the people of Portland and better connect the people with the city, and the Goldschmidt era because without those guys Portland would be nothing like what it is today. That was a pivotal time in Portland.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:43 PM

616 posts, read 645,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You're welcome, to expand on what I said, I think Bud was a good mayor because he knew how to really engage with the people of Portland and better connect the people with the city, and the Goldschmidt era because without those guys Portland would be nothing like what it is today. That was a pivotal time in Portland.
In my lifetime Goldschmidt was the only decent visionary that had the means to economically get things done. If he didnt have his "issues" He would have come back for a 2nd time and Portland wouldnt in my opinion be 2nd rate as far as livable jobs. I liked Vera as a personality but not so much politically--the rest were meh--Potter didnt belong and Adams was weak. Bud Clark--LOL--Ivancie was a dictator

Old 08-13-2015, 05:53 PM

IM very pro Portland and love my city but --we are not addressing the real issues -build all the overpriced apartments you want but there will come a time when they will become ghettos --history always repeats its self--
The family is about THE HOME not about blacktop and busy streets

Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
IM very pro Portland and love my city but --we are not addressing the real issues -build all the overpriced apartments you want but there will come a time when they will become ghettos --history always repeats its self--
The family is about THE HOME not about blacktop and busy streets
I have do disagree here, I remember seeing Seattle go through a building boom in the 90s and in the past decade and those units built in the 90s are still asking top dollar. The reality is we are seeing Portland rents jump up to where they should be for this city....unfortunately plenty of people still remember when Portland was very undervalued and are unhappy with this recent change.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have do disagree here, I remember seeing Seattle go through a building boom in the 90s and in the past decade and those units built in the 90s are still asking top dollar. The reality is we are seeing Portland rents jump up to where they should be for this city....unfortunately plenty of people still remember when Portland was very undervalued and are unhappy with this recent change.
You even once said that we can not compare the 2 cities, Seattle brings in nearly 200 billion dollars annually in export revenue. Portland is at about 17 bil$ -If we had the amount of locally owned big time corporations we might be in a better position for all this. Probably the only city to compare growth wise to Seattle is Houston. Seattle is on a different level.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
You even once said that we can not compare the 2 cities, Seattle brings in nearly 200 billion dollars annually in export revenue. Portland is at about 17 bil$ -If we had the amount of locally owned big time corporations we might be in a better position for all this. Probably the only city to compare growth wise to Seattle is Houston. Seattle is on a different level.
No, I never said we could not compare cities, but that wasn't what I was comparing. I was saying that I remember Seattle had a huge apartment building boom in the 90s, those units are still asking top dollar today. I see Portland doing the same, the apartments being built now will probably continue to be at this price range for the foreseeable future. The idea that streets like Division and North Williams will somehow become ghettos because of this just doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland