Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like Beaverton is going to be a great fit for your family. We are planning to spend more time on the west side this year to figure out if we might be comfortable there. The schools are very appealing and my husband works on the west side, so we might go for it. I've liked Forest Heights and Bethany, but want to venture a bit further south as well and check out more neighborhoods.
I will keep you posted. BTW, a new high school is being built in Cooper Mountain. That should give you more options, as well. We do really like the fact that we are close to the 1-5 so we can get out of Beaverton that way or take back roads. We rarely take the 26 into town. I just spoke to a long time resident who takes back roads everywhere and it makes a huge difference. Scholls Ferry to the 10 is a pretty route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 PM

311 posts, read 346,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I will keep you posted. BTW, a new high school is being built in Cooper Mountain. That should give you more options, as well. We do really like the fact that we are close to the 1-5 so we can get out of Beaverton that way or take back roads. We rarely take the 26 into town. I just spoke to a long time resident who takes back roads everywhere and it makes a huge difference. Scholls Ferry to the 10 is a pretty route.
Good to know about the new high school. I didn't know that.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:10 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,605,329 times
Another great thing about the Beaverton SD is the option schools (https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/dept...g-Options.aspx). Slots for students are given out on a lottery basis, so it is fair and equitable regardless of the student's grades or where they went to elementary/middle school within the district. Preference is given to students who have a sibling at the option school they select.

My kids were fairly high performers in their somewhat underperforming elementary school, and via the lottery were able to get into the International School of Beaverton. I know you need to take rankings with a grain of salt, but US News & World Report ranked ISB the best high school in Oregon, and the 35th best high school in the US, out of over 21,000 schools (International School Of Beaverton in ALOHA, OR | Best High Schools | US News).

When we first moved here from Corvallis in 2009 we wanted to live in close-in Portland as that would have been the best location for me commute-wise. But housing was just too expensive for what you get. Fast forward 6 years and I'm glad we landed where we did near Washington Square Mall... and schools are only part of the reason.

Yankeemama and Velouria, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my experiences with the BSD or anything else.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Another great thing about the Beaverton SD is the option schools (https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/dept...g-Options.aspx). Slots for students are given out on a lottery basis, so it is fair and equitable regardless of the student's grades or where they went to elementary/middle school within the district. Preference is given to students who have a sibling at the option school they select.

My kids were fairly high performers in their somewhat underperforming elementary school, and via the lottery were able to get into the International School of Beaverton. I know you need to take rankings with a grain of salt, but US News & World Report ranked ISB the best high school in Oregon, and the 35th best high school in the US, out of over 21,000 schools (International School Of Beaverton in ALOHA, OR | Best High Schools | US News).

When we first moved here from Corvallis in 2009 we wanted to live in close-in Portland as that would have been the best location for me commute-wise. But housing was just too expensive for what you get. Fast forward 6 years and I'm glad we landed where we did near Washington Square Mall... and schools are only part of the reason.

Yankeemama and Velouria, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my experiences with the BSD or anything else.
Oh, boy! I sure will PM you this week as first day of school is coming up. You and I are both in South Beaverton! We moved in 2009 also but did move to inner NE Portland and six years later... we are almost exactly where you are. I would love your perspective. Thanks for reaching out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland