U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 PM

336 posts, read 300,684 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the comments. I guess Portland (and Bend and Eugene and Corvallis and Ashland) aren't my long-term fit after all. Maybe Carrboro, North Carolina, or staying in Berkeley is. Still is unclear. Will keep hunting and enjoy Berkeley in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:18 PM

336 posts, read 300,684 times
Just as food for thought in case anyone is interested, it's interesting to know about various options. Was struck by the contrast today between for example a 90+% white, all-affluent (as some private schools are) high school such as Portland's Riverdale...versus the 36% white Berkeley High School which (like its elementary schools) represents the whole socioeconomic range of families.

Here's a video of Berkeley High School students protesting police brutality.
https://youtu.be/5IFwUrEDMyE

The brutality incident court decision was highly controversial and I don't know what truly happened that day. And I don't condone protests becoming destructive riots. BUT I do like the idea of children knowing and caring about big society issues like race and violence and politics instead of being oversheltered. I also have no idea what Riverdale's response to the trial (or any other issue) is but it's just hard to picture an overwhelmingly affluent and white school talking as much about certain issues involving non-white races - or of various socioeconomic classes either. Please correct me if I'm wrong and note I admit I don't know, just am trying to make an educated guess.

I say this as a white woman from a fairly wealthy family who mostly attended predominantly white private schools as a kid (though its students definitely weren't all as wealthy as some assume all private school kids are). I feel it oversheltered me from realistically understanding society (later I switched to a very diverse public school and it was a bit shocking). Yet also understand how loving the intention was of my parents and my classmates' parents to pay for a school meant to protect me and in some ways it was a great experience (and I see some truly great things about certain private schools). Yet diversity isn't their strong point due to their prices. Some public schools lack diversity too due to location.

I'd love to see schools more integrated AND high-quality (it'd help if they were affordable for all...charter schools?)! But then safety is an issue so I know this is complicated. Let's keep working to improve both public schools and society!

I'm just rambling. My point is I feel exposing kids to plenty of diversity (racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and all other kinds) is very important. I do appreciate how GLBT-friendly and in certain ways aware Portland appears to be though and again it is a wonderful place! And I also respect peoples' right to define their own values and choose for themselves! Not my place to say what school is right or not for anyone's kid. Just felt like sharing my perspective.

Hope you enjoyed my tangent, haha. If not, sorry

Whether or not I ever move to Oregon I'll definitely visit it again and love being aware what different communities are up to as part of the global conversation. So if anyone has info on groups working to increase Portland's diversity and integration (especially regarding its under-represented black folks; if I were black I'd be hesitant to move to former skinhead headquarters too) I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 08-15-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 01:53 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
but on a serious note, Portland is one of the only cities in the US that's getting whiter (if that's a word), so if that's not your thing I'd look elsewhere, maybe Seattle.
This isn't actually true.

2000 Census: 77.9% white
2010 Census: 76.1% white
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi
Look I don't know what you want me to do. Posted here cause want info comparing those WA areas to those OR areas, both of which are Portland metro area and Portland section is in Oregon forum. Am I supposed to delete this thread or stop replying to people nice enough to comment here? I didn't know there was any rule and don't know the point of that rule.
Ignore him. There is no rule. You're asking Portland questions in the Portland forum, which is fine. People discuss the part of the metro area that spills over into Washington all the time. Sometimes people just like to go on power trips (even when they don't have any actual power).

The only caveat I would add is that if you want some specific information about Vancouver, ask it in the Vancouver forum since most of the people in the Portland forum don't know that much about the area other than that it should be avoided if you're working in Oregon.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM

148 posts, read 149,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This isn't actually true.

2000 Census: 77.9% white
2010 Census: 76.1% white
Ignore him. There is no rule. You're asking Portland questions in the Portland forum, which is fine. People discuss the part of the metro area that spills over into Washington all the time. Sometimes people just like to go on power trips (even when they don't have any actual power).

The only caveat I would add is that if you want some specific information about Vancouver, ask it in the Vancouver forum since most of the people in the Portland forum don't know that much about the area other than that it should be avoided if you're working in Oregon.
That's 5 years old, here's something recent

Oregon school enrollment more diverse this year, but Portland Public Schools' less so | OregonLive.com

Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Of course it's old. It's the US census.

The school stats are interesting but don't necessarily track the overall demographic shifts 1:1.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM

310 posts, read 273,405 times
Riverdale is the extreme, though. Homes in Dunthorpe start at $1 million and I believe Riverdale is the second richest school district in the COUNTRY. I mean, don't rule Portland out because one high school is 90% white rich kids.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Riverdale is the extreme, though. Homes in Dunthorpe start at $1 million and I believe Riverdale is the second richest school district in the COUNTRY. I mean, don't rule Portland out because one high school is 90% white rich kids.
So you're saying rich people are mostly white, and schools that are mostly white are bad??

Old 08-16-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Of course it's old. It's the US census.

The school stats are interesting but don't necessarily track the overall demographic shifts 1:1.
Schools stats track the future demographics

Old 08-16-2015, 03:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
24,231 posts, read 41,854,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Look I don't know what you want me to do. Posted here cause want info comparing those WA areas to those OR areas, both of which are Portland metro area and Portland section is in Oregon forum. Am I supposed to delete this thread or stop replying to people nice enough to comment here?
oh, please... drama necessary?... just the facts are all that is needed (if that is what you are seeking...) if 'agreement' / validation of your perceptions is adequate (i.e. nice people)... stay here! EZ solution
hello, Yogi!?(this is not clear?)
post your WA questions on WA forum If you want any accurate info on the state north of Oregon, Oregon posters are not objective on responses regarding to the state to the north... It is an Oregon thing (group think). 30+ yrs plus being employed as a business / tax consultant on each side of the river, (employed by both state govs at the moment) there is a notable difference in the two states and the objectivity (and tolerance) of their residents. (significant difference in politics, political structure / school funding / economy ...)

OR and WA are night and day different, be advised / warned (especially if your info is coming from one side)
Thus you will fit MUCH better in one state or the other, very ez to discern this. It will make a huge impact on your quality of PNW life. I know many who had to cross borders to make a match (both directions and some to ID... (farmers and businesses with large capital equipment investments)).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-16-2015 at 03:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:26 AM

310 posts, read 273,405 times
Quote:
So you're saying rich people are mostly white, and schools that are mostly white are bad??
I'm saying those particular rich people are white and the school reflects both. No, Riverdale is not a bad school at all (quite the opposite) but if diversity is important in choosing a community... as it is to the OP (and to me, coincidentally), then that school and neighborhood are not going to be a good fit.

The OP has stated that she doesn't want her children attending a homogeneous school of only wealthy people but has for some reason focused almost exclusively on one particular school that is the extreme example of both. We all know that Portland proper is not as diverse as many of us would like. It is much whiter than most other urban areas. Still, there are plenty of options here that at least offer more variety than the small enclave of Dunthorpe.

The Bethany area, for example, has exceptional schools by many measures (they are overcrowded presently) and reflect a much more diverse population. Bethany is a suburb, however, so likely doesn't meet the other requirements on OPs long and very specific list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or