U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM
 
336 posts, read 296,991 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Riverdale is the extreme, though. Homes in Dunthorpe start at $1 million and I believe Riverdale is the second richest school district in the COUNTRY. I mean, don't rule Portland out because one high school is 90% white rich kids.
Good point. I actually came to that same conclusion afterwards too, maybe overreacted a bit. I mentioned Riverdale cause SW Portland seemed like a top choice for short work commute and good downtown access and quiet neighborhood. In checking top-rated schools in Portland, Riverdale is the one not right in downtown I found, so looked into it.

Beaverton is more diverse I see and appears to have good schools. Maybe that'd be my fit if I moved to that area. Or Camas or East Vancouver though I've barely looked into them. Bend also sounds really beautiful. Up in Washington, Olympia and Bellingham seem nice too. 2 of my friends pretty similar to me adore Ashland and it's sunniest and nearest California. Of all those places I've only been to Portland though years ago my AmeriCorps team lived in some nice Washington forest a few months.

Has been fun researching and looking forward to visiting all of them, but for now hearing about Oregon deeply racist past and certain ways it continues, and Portland being called most racist city in U.S. and whitest major U.S. city, and how hard Oregon and Washington lack of sun is for some, and realizing how much easier my college and career goals actually are in Berkeley for now, I'm staying put for now.

No offense meant to anyone!! I'm so sorry to sound so negative, just being straight-forward. They really seem like awesome cities in many ways and every city subjectively has drawbacks for sure. Am not really sure why diversity is so important to me; just is. Thanks for your time. I appreciated these comments and hope this thread is helpful to someone in some way.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 08-16-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Portland Metro
2,289 posts, read 3,941,291 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
Has been fun researching and looking forward to visiting all of them, but for now hearing about Oregon deeply racist past
Something to not be proud of, for sure. Just like many other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
and certain ways it continues, and Portland being called most racist city in U.S.
Whoa there! Yes, some skinhead problems decades ago (post civil rights era to the 1980s), but I've never heard this about modern-day Portland. I think skinheads hate Portland now because they find so few people here who mirror their beliefs.

Look, anybody can say "[blank] city is the most racist city in the US." You need to look at measures like arrest records and that kind of thing to show that minorities are being treated differently than whites. And for every story about some person of color, or a gay person being beaten up, we can show you 10 stories about this city embracing those who are different. Do not jump to the erroneous conclusion that the reason a place has a lower percentage of minorities than another place is because of racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
and whitest major U.S. city
Yeah, but please don't blame this on racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
and how hard Oregon and Washington lack of sun is for some
Personal preference. Some like the weather. Others (many others) hate it. I've grown up with it my entire life. With the exception of the location I went to university, Portland is the sunniest place I've ever lived.

I know you've given up on Portland and Oregon as a whole, and that's your personal business. But I don't understand why you feel the need to cast aspersions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 01:45 AM
 
336 posts, read 296,991 times
Reputation: 126
Hi jjpop. I haven't given up on Oregon. Had really felt I was supposed to move there and was excitedly planning the move, just am very cautious now after hearing certain things.

If I were to hear enough proof that Portland and enough of Oregon are accepting enough to non-white people and growing more (not less) integrated and diverse, and that there is a comfy neighborhood with high-quality K-12 schools at least like say 25% non-white...then that could fit me well. Cause there are sure are things about Oregon that really, really appeal to me! Portland, Ashland or Bend could very well be really fantastic for me. Visiting next week will help this all be more clear. Bethany and Beaverton would be interesting to visit and definitely Bend.

I read and am told various things. Can be hard to know what is true. Some things I heard about Portland (beyond demographics) were: one article called it #1 most racist U.S. city, Oregon was only state in U.S. to have law not allowing black people, was top city for skinheads or KKK, that there is still much segregation and definite subtle racism, that some black people have felt uncomfortable living there.

But if my fears are wrong that would be happy news. Just seeking truth. Since I'm so outdoorsy, Bend is actually sounding great and so far have heard it isn't racist.

jjpop's point that many states have shameful pasts is a good one. Past is past, and every state has sections I may avoid; that's okay. My only concern is if that racist past still effects the cities in Oregon I'm interested in and how much.

Oh, as for weather, the rain doesn't concern me that much, just cautious about the long period with little sun. Could maybe be just fine, doesn't sound as hard as say Texas heat.

Last edited by NatureYogi; 08-17-2015 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Portland Metro
2,289 posts, read 3,941,291 times
Reputation: 2685
NatureYogi, just open your mind to facts and do your research, that's all I ask. You can listen to people all day long talk about how nasty Oakland is, but you know from being close to there that parts of Oakland are bad while other parts are spectacularly wealthy. But that doesn't stop people from wrongly labeling all of Oakland as being a gang-infested cesspool.

You're going to look at Beaverton School District? District-wide, the percentage of students of color is 50%. But don't take it from me, look at the District's own website: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/dist...tatistics.aspx. NOT overwhelmingly white if you ask me. You can even dive into individual school statistics. This past year my younger kid's elementary school was 50% white and my older kid's middle school was 45% white.

Knowledge is power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 03:05 AM
 
336 posts, read 296,991 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
NatureYogi, just open your mind to facts and do your research, that's all I ask. You can listen to people all day long talk about how nasty Oakland is, but you know from being close to there that parts of Oakland are bad while other parts are spectacularly wealthy. But that doesn't stop people from wrongly labeling all of Oakland as being a gang-infested cesspool.

You're going to look at Beaverton School District? District-wide, the percentage of students of color is 50%. But don't take it from me, look at the District's own website: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/dist...tatistics.aspx. NOT overwhelmingly white if you ask me. You can even dive into individual school statistics. This past year my younger kid's elementary school was 50% white and my older kid's middle school was 45% white.

Knowledge is power.
I appreciate your posts a lot. Thank you. Really looking forward to visiting Oregon next week. Actually scored a fantastic job interview in Bend! Kinda hilarious how much Bend sounds like me: I have a Subaru and dog, adore outdoor activities and am very health-conscious and casual.

The comment about Oakland hits home. Yep, some people criticize or fear it so much but I see every day how awesome it is other than basically one section (Deep East, where most of the crime is) that's easy to avoid (just like highest crime areas of other otherwise great cities I've lived in). Good reminder cities have a lot of variety in them. And I guess Riverdale people have their reasons for being mostly white which may or may not involve racism but that's their business and I can maybe relax a little more about all this. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 AM
 
148 posts, read 148,364 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
I appreciate your posts a lot. Thank you. Really looking forward to visiting Oregon next week. Actually scored a fantastic job interview in Bend! Kinda hilarious how much Bend sounds like me: I have a Subaru and dog, adore outdoor activities and am very health-conscious and casual.

The comment about Oakland hits home. Yep, some people criticize or fear it so much but I see every day how awesome it is other than basically one section (Deep East, where most of the crime is) that's easy to avoid (just like highest crime areas of other otherwise great cities I've lived in). Good reminder cities have a lot of variety in them. And I guess Riverdale people have their reasons for being mostly white which may or may not involve racism but that's their business and I can maybe relax a little more about all this. Thank you.
"deep east oakland where most of the crime is" is a black area

The 2 of you sound so ridiculously racist. I want to be around black people... just not the ones is Deep East Oakland "that area is so easily avoided". Sounds like you avoid diversity if its undesirable, but embrace it if they are upper middle class like you. LOL, move here, you'll fit right in with the other racist Californians that move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM
 
310 posts, read 271,625 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
"deep east oakland where most of the crime is" is a black area

The 2 of you sound so ridiculously racist. I want to be around black people... just not the ones is Deep East Oakland "that area is so easily avoided". Sounds like you avoid diversity if its undesirable, but embrace it if they are upper middle class like you. LOL, move here, you'll fit right in with the other racist Californians that move here.
It's not racist to want to live in a safe neighborhood. People of all colors, shapes, and sizes desire safety for themselves and their families. There are plenty of diverse and safe neighborhoods and it is not racist at all to seek out both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 AM
 
336 posts, read 296,991 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
"deep east oakland where most of the crime is" is a black area

The 2 of you sound so ridiculously racist. I want to be around black people... just not the ones is Deep East Oakland "that area is so easily avoided". Sounds like you avoid diversity if its undesirable, but embrace it if they are upper middle class like you. LOL, move here, you'll fit right in with the other racist Californians that move here.
No silly, I avoid Deep East Oakland because statistically it is full of shootings and major gang activity and other crime. That section of Oakland makes it like the 4th or 5th most dangerous city in California. Could care less that it happens to be mostly black. If it were mostly white or mostly Asian or mostly Australian with the same high crime I'd avoid it just as much. Clearly I'm very anti-racism and seeking a balance of diversity and safety especially if my future precious babies are involved. Am constantly disappointed when I found out a cool city is extremely high percentage white because I see big advantages in diversity (of race, ethnicity, culture, subculture, politics, worldviews, genders, sexes, sexuality, everything). Living in the middle of incredibly high crime wouldn't prove how not racist I am; would just prove I want to witness crime (which I have, isn't fun) and be a victim of crime.

Am sure there are plenty of happy families living in Deep East Oakland (have a few friends there too) but for me I like the relaxing feeling of a reasonably safe home. There are lots of reasonably safe neighborhoods in other parts of Oakland that are quite diverse which is cool. I've enjoyed living there and have many clients there, many way wealthier than me and not all white.

By the way, not that this really matters, but no, I'm definitely not currently upper-middle class income-wise and even at times was so poor I was homeless. And have lived in everything from extremely poor neighborhoods to extremely wealthy ones. Have had friends and housemates from all classes and races. Racism (like sexism) is so engrained in our society there probably is some racism in me somewhere (and in everyone reading this) but I'm not aware of it and am strongly against racism. Obviously I'm not color-blind cause if I was I wouldn't be bothered by places that are "too white." They bug me for what feels like moral reasons.

A couple black experiences in Oregon:
* http://blackestberryofthemall.tumblr...**-in-portland
* http://thebroadsideonline.com/2012/0...ite-community/

Not bashing Oregon, just exploring topic of how extremely white places can sometimes feel unwelcoming to black people. Like here in California Marin County is extremely white too.

Anyway, no offense taken by your post. Either you misunderstood or just wanted to pick a fight maybe. Made for interesting dialogue. Have a nice evening (not meant sarcastic)

Anyway, this thread has probably gone on plenty long or maybe should move it to a thread on race; sorry am wordy

Last edited by NatureYogi; 08-19-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 01:47 AM
 
336 posts, read 296,991 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
It's not racist to want to live in a safe neighborhood. People of all colors, shapes, and sizes desire safety for themselves and their families. There are plenty of diverse and safe neighborhoods and it is not racist at all to seek out both.
Yes. You're better at being concise than I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
10,185 posts, read 17,110,412 times
Reputation: 6753
Why on earth should residents of the Riverdale school district feel ashamed for being white??? They found homes they could afford in that area. 95% of Portland metro residents who are white can't afford to live there either. I recently met a family who lives in Riverdale... they are Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top