Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times

Advertisements

Make sure you make $90,000 or up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Make sure you make $90,000 or up
Based on what? I know people here doing just fine on half that amount or even less than that....

Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Based on what? I know people here doing just fine on half that amount or even less than that....
based on what I say, is it ok that I have an opinion?

and those people arent doing ok if you take into account emergency expenses, retirement, potential job loss, medical issues, etc etc--but Im sure in Portlandia the tax payers will subsidize them.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:15 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Big cities are a lot more fun if you have money. Everyone wants to talk about food carts and beer and other big city perks. Well, if all your income goes to rent and you are deciding whether you should use what's left over to heat or to eat, then you aren't going to be enjoying the food carts, the boutique beer, the fancy restaurants, the cute shops, the ball games, or the fresh caught sea food.

The Portland lifestyle that people move here for tends to not be free, unless all you have ever wanted out of life is to walk around looking into store windows, admiring the diversity of the homeless, and eating out of the food bank.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Big cities are a lot more fun if you have money. Everyone wants to talk about food carts and beer and other big city perks. Well, if all your income goes to rent and you are deciding whether you should use what's left over to heat or to eat, then you aren't going to be enjoying the food carts, the boutique beer, the fancy restaurants, the cute shops, the ball games, or the fresh caught sea food.

The Portland lifestyle that people move here for tends to not be free, unless all you have ever wanted out of life is to walk around looking into store windows, admiring the diversity of the homeless, and eating out of the food bank.
exactly

Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
I posted this on another thread, but felt it was more appropriate here:

I was in Portland for about 4 days earlier this summer, on vacation. And, I loved the city!!! Great weather, very friendly & nice people, fantastic sightseeing, superb food (I primarily ate from the food trucks, and felt the food was fantastic!!), great bubble tea, excellent coffee (and not all Starbucks, either), and decent public transportation (I exclusively used the trains & buses).

Sure it wasn't perfect - there were a lot of homeless/mentally ill people wandering around screaming & muttering to themselves, and some of them seemed to be getting into fights with each other. However, you just had to stay away from them. And, there didn't seem to be any more than usual in a city of that size. Plus, I ran into more aggressive panhandling in Seattle (where I also went during this same vacation).

However, as much as I liked Portland & would enjoy living there, it did not seem to be an affordable city re: the cost of living. There's no way I could effectively afford to live there. It's extremely expensive, and my thoughts are that you would need an extremely well-paying job to make ends meet, especially if you wanted to live in a decent part of town.

The same goes for Seattle, of course.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-15-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
based on what I say, is it ok that I have an opinion?

and those people arent doing ok if you take into account emergency expenses, retirement, potential job loss, medical issues, etc etc--but Im sure in Portlandia the tax payers will subsidize them.
That's cool, then I disagree, $90K is great to live on here, but one can still be just fine with less.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That's cool, then I disagree, $90K is great to live on here, but one can still be just fine with less.
sure I agree if you like to be poor

Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM

418 posts, read 727,477 times
Back when I was working, I made $62,000 for a while, then went to part time, so I made in the $40s. I did just fine. At $62,000, I felt rich.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
sure I agree if you like to be poor
Guess that depends on what your opinion of poor is. Regardless, we have different opinions on what one would need to make in Portland. As I said, my wife and I make less than that, yet we still have plenty left over to enjoy ourselves and take trips. We have a Hawaii trip coming up this spring, not bad for being classified as "poor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland