Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have another question about my next door neighbors again. I was curious if anyone thought I'd be out of line for requesting that my neighbor smoke elsewhere. In the current configuration, my neighbor has a chair and table located right against the property line. My neighbor enjoys smoking her cigarettes there; however, this location is located literally 5 feet from my bedroom window. We're not talking about a figurative 5 feet here. I have a narrow lot and it's literally 5 feet from my window. On the other hand, my neighbor basically owns 2 lots and could smoke anywhere else on her property, yet she has decided this is the one location where she wants to smoke.

Is it out of line to request she do it elsewhere? It is her property and I acknowledge there are very few areas where smokers are allowed to smoke, but the smell is just intolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:36 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't see why it would hurt to ask politely.

A lot of cigarette smokers get really hostile when asked not to smoke, so I suggest that you be really polite about it. But you never know. Maybe she is unaware that her smoke is going into your house and will agree to move a bit.

Your other option is to keep your window closed.

I suggest that your request will work better if you have always been pleasant and polite to this neighbor.

If she is smoking under your window because you have somehow ticked her off in the past, then go back to my recommendation that you keep your window closed.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:40 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
For a short term solution, you could get one of those little window fans that is reverseable and blow the air out instead of in, and that would keep the smoke out.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
It's highly unlikely you'd get anywhere by asking the neighbor to stop IMO. There are 2 types of smokers:

1. Those VERY aware that others are extremely bothered by smoking and therefore take great consideration into making sure they don't let their smoking infringe on others in any way.

2. Those TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to their smoking being an issue for others and have no regard how they handle their cigs.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground in my experience. I've known smokers who won't wear clothes they've smoked in to functions/other people's houses.

I've known other smokers (usually older folks/long-time smokers) who don't even believe cigarette smoke has a smell or even lingers on clothes.

As insane as that sounds...they believe it.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
If you know the neighbor, and have a rapport with her, you can probably mention it at some point and hope for a positive reaction. If you haven't taken time to get to know her, or if that hasn't been possible for some reason, then probably she figures 'outside = okay to smoke in my own yard.' Which, as you acknowledge, it is, however annoying. So if you want to achieve a result, the key is to build up some rapport and a friendly relationship (not that common in urban areas), to the point where you can ask with hope of adjustment.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If you know the neighbor, and have a rapport with her, you can probably mention it at some point and hope for a positive reaction. If you haven't taken time to get to know her, or if that hasn't been possible for some reason, then probably she figures 'outside = okay to smoke in my own yard.' Which, as you acknowledge, it is, however annoying. So if you want to achieve a result, the key is to build up some rapport and a friendly relationship (not that common in urban areas), to the point where you can ask with hope of adjustment.
I agree with the previous poster. Dealing with the neighbors on the side(s) of your house is such a big issue in urban areas and trust me... I have dealt with this issue for over 25 years as a renter in SF and NYC mostly but also in Portland. It's difficult because, though it's nice to be friendly with your next door neighbor, you also want to be able to make requests which can be awkward. Hopefully you can approach your neighbor without her feeling judged for being a smoker. Maybe you should mention that you aren't being judgey about her life... it's just the smoke going into your window. Good luck... I have been there.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 PM

102 posts, read 90,148 times
I had a neighbor whose son in law smoked and when I talked to her about it, he got real upset saying that I have to deal with it. It's really no easy way to tell someone to please smoke some where else.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM

159 posts, read 157,147 times
So how would it go if I were in this situation in Portland and simply said to the neighbor, calmly but to the point, "Hey, would it be possible for you to smoke on a different part of your property? I've noticed your smoke gets into my house when you do it right there, and the smell just kinda gets to me since I don't smoke." Suppose I have minimal rapport with said neighbor, but had never been less than courteous. Just curious.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutbad View Post
So how would it go if I were in this situation in Portland and simply said to the neighbor, calmly but to the point, "Hey, would it be possible for you to smoke on a different part of your property? I've noticed your smoke gets into my house when you do it right there, and the smell just kinda gets to me since I don't smoke." Suppose I have minimal rapport with said neighbor, but had never been less than courteous. Just curious.
It could go in many directions. My wife, being a considerate smoker, would probably move at least a little ways down the patio. Our crazy lady neighbor, being crazy, there's no way of knowing how she'd react. There are people who'd tell you to get stuffed, and people who'd fall all over themselves to accommodate, and everywhere in between. There is no blanket Portland template reaction for it.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Is this the same neighbor as the tree trimming issue? If so, before I chime in I'd ask how that went?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland