U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 AM

32 posts, read 31,720 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move to the Portland area but want to know exactly what I am getting into (besides a visit to there sometime soon) as far as job opportunities, cost of living, affordable rent, climate, and how long are the daylight hours, etc. Many I have heard have told me about the beauty and the outdoor activities galore to do but mainly from friends who have visited but never actually lived there. I just want the basic information first and that alone will help in further research when I actually visit there. Thank you.

Kimi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 12:03 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,103,791 times
Here you go:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html

Everything you want and more.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM
FSF

221 posts, read 251,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannec View Post
I am wanting to move to the Portland area but want to know exactly what I am getting into (besides a visit to there sometime soon) as far as job opportunities, cost of living, affordable rent, climate, and how long are the daylight hours, etc. Many I have heard have told me about the beauty and the outdoor activities galore to do but mainly from friends who have visited but never actually lived there. I just want the basic information first and that alone will help in further research when I actually visit there. Thank you.

Kimi

With all due respect, if you want "helpful" answers, you need to be WAY more specific in your query. I think all too often, people ask questions on the internet think everyone in the world can read their mind and will answer exactly the questions they have percolating around in their head.

For instance, if you want to know about job opportunities, it would be helpful to know what field you are in or are you just thinking broadly like retail or some other no education/experience required field. In which case, I wouldn't bother because Portland will probably be too expensive for you and you might just barely "get by" at best.

Cost of living depends on where your coming from and your lifestyle and is tied to the previous question of job opportunity.

What is your idea of affordable rent? Also tied to job opportunity. Sadly, money does make the world go around.

Climate is one thing that can be answered. There is usually light rain on and off for 8-9 months of the year though it has been mostly dry this past year. This is the part that often makes "outdoor activities" difficult. People like the summers a lot but I personally don't care for them as they can get a bit toasty at times, often times windy, and debri flying around.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:13 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,941,842 times
Quote:

Kimi
Job opportunities: great for some fields, poor for others.

Cost of living: cheap for Californians or New Yorkers, expensive for Kansans and Arkansans.

Affordable rent: cheap in the high crime parts of town, expensive in the fancy parts of town.

Climate: Hot and dry in summer, cool and wet in winter.

How long are the daylight hours: About 8.5 hours and about 15.5 hours on the two solstices.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM

310 posts, read 271,719 times
My general advice without knowing more about your situation: do NOT move here without a job already lined up regardless of your field. Plan on at least $1000+/mo in rent unless you are interested in making compromises.

The summer days are longer and the winter days shorter than they were where I grew up on the east coast. As already mentioned, summers are hot and dry and it rains all winter.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:55 PM

32 posts, read 31,720 times
By affordable rent I am considering more of a studio apt than a one bedroom. It would be nice to find a studio apt in the range of $650-$750. I have a couple of job prospects but they are temp to hire positions from temp agencies. Seems many companies go this route first. And seriously that is how I got a permanent job with JPMorgan. I would even consider living in an area near Portland-Vancouver which I know is in Washington or in Gresham which I had an job interview.

As far as weather goes, I have lived in many states and have adapted to all kinds of winter weather. Long, cold winters in the north-Midwest states such as northern Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois. Lived in Denver, all over the coast of Florida, the desert in California, and currently in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. My preference however is mild, cooler winters and as far as rain goes, it doesn't bother me-the rain, the overcast. I just wanted to know how much it actually does rain -that is way I asked locals. I enjoy the outdoors no matter the rain and overcast. I prefer that any day than the hot and humid days here-which by the way can be 7-9 months of the year.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 PM

10,188 posts, read 17,112,518 times
The chance of finding a studio in your price range is higher in Gresham but there are some scattered issues with gang bangers (literally) around there. Also look in Clackamas. Not my neighborhoods, perhaps others could be specific. Vancouver also has lower rent but the commute can be an issue (I-205 to Gresham).

Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM

102 posts, read 66,232 times
Quote:
I just wanted to know how much it actually does rain -that is way I asked locals. I enjoy the outdoors no matter the rain and overcast. I prefer that any day than the hot and humid days here-which by the way can be 7-9 months of the year.
Last year it started raining in October, it rained a lot. In some years it rained so much I actually got depressed because I never saw the sun. I use to live in Southern California so you get use to the sun, but since moving up here I didn't realize that there are days during the Fall & Winter that the sun is rare occurrence.

If you prefer cold over hot and humid then by all means. Sadly I live near the Clackamas river so during hot days you can feel that gross humid 90 degree weather and living near a bunch of trees doesn't help either.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 AM

310 posts, read 271,719 times
Quote:
By affordable rent I am considering more of a studio apt than a one bedroom. It would be nice to find a studio apt in the range of $650-$750. I have a couple of job prospects but they are temp to hire positions from temp agencies. Seems many companies go this route first. And seriously that is how I got a permanent job with JPMorgan. I would even consider living in an area near Portland-Vancouver which I know is in Washington or in Gresham which I had an job interview.

As far as weather goes, I have lived in many states and have adapted to all kinds of winter weather. Long, cold winters in the north-Midwest states such as northern Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois. Lived in Denver, all over the coast of Florida, the desert in California, and currently in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. My preference however is mild, cooler winters and as far as rain goes, it doesn't bother me-the rain, the overcast. I just wanted to know how much it actually does rain -that is way I asked locals. I enjoy the outdoors no matter the rain and overcast. I prefer that any day than the hot and humid days here-which by the way can be 7-9 months of the year.
Well, sounds like you've got it all figured out. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or