Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,304,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I know for a fact the people in the mayors office read city-data and sometimes post here for whatever reasons.

There have been too many coincidences.
The latest example is a huge thread on the homeless problem gets started, then all of a sudden boom! the mayor announces a huge expensive plan to fix things.

All in one week or so.

Coincidence? Maybe.
But I'm cynical enough to think not.
I think though the focus on the homeless is also tied in to the recent protests and media coverage of the high rent issue in Portland.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I think though the focus on the homeless is also tied in to the recent protests and media coverage of the high rent issue in Portland.
Aye, that too.

And arguably another factor would be Wheeler planting a stake in the mayoral race. There's pressure for Hales to at least look like he deserves to keep the job, and the timing of this move would fit with the campaign angle as well.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:07 PM

166 posts, read 132,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Aye, that too.

And arguably another factor would be Wheeler planting a stake in the mayoral race. There's pressure for Hales to at least look like he deserves to keep the job, and the timing of this move would fit with the campaign angle as well.
Hales definitely needs to get the boot. What Portland really needs is a good conservative mayor to clean up this mess that has been created, but I doubt Portlanders would ever go for that idea.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,304,186 times
Quote:
Aye, that too.

That's another good point, Hales has to start the re-election push and he's a been regarded as a fairly weak mayor. Wheeler seems to have a fairly good rep going into a possible campaign, so Hales could be at risk.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 10-05-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,409,664 times
Quote:
It's probably neither coincidence nor conspiracy, but rather a problem that's grown so big that it's hard to avoid talking about.
I used to think exactly that.

But I have noticed in the last couple of years that these "coincidences" seem to be happening more frequently.

I have a friend that works for Earl Blumenauer and she has a lot of contacts at city hall.
I happen to mention City Data one day and she told me that the mayors office is well aware of City Data and that they read these forums quite often.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:09 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I happen to mention City Data one day and she told me that the mayors office is well aware of City Data and that they read these forums quite often.

As a job-related duty? Huh. I mean, I'm aware of the value of propaganda, but it would seem wasted effort on the relatively small cohort of current residents that actually hang out here.

Unless, of course, one assumes we hold disproportionate clout in swaying broader public opinion. As a way to kill time or "look like one is working" then sure, it's probably a way they can get paid to procrastinate.

I may or may not read these forums at work on occasion myself.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,409,664 times
A small amount of people actually "hang out" here, but a far, far greater number of people lurk here trying to find out the insiders scoop about Portland.
Just look at how many times YOUR posts have been read.
It IS a great propaganda tool.

I was told it's one of the many ways they use to get the "pulse" of what's going on in Portland.

BTW, this *used* to be a very active forum, especially in the Sam Adams days...
That was when Portland could do no wrong, and the mass exodus to Portland and Oregon was in full swing......

Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM

149 posts, read 179,844 times
"Twenty-one bullets riddled a North Portland house, just after midnight nearly two weeks ago. Police found 35 shell casings at the scene."

"Last Friday night, a 21-year-old out of custody on weapons charges fatally shot two men outside a Montavilla neighborhood pub."

"Last Sunday, bullets whizzed through five rooms at the Jantzen Beach Red Lion Inn, wounding two women and disrupting a birthday party on a hotel room balcony. Police recovered 32 shell casings there."

"Thirteen shootings tied to gangs in the last two weeks in North, Northeast, Southeast and downtown Portland have left three people dead, and pushed the city's gang violence calls to 146 so far this year. It's the highest count since Portland police began recording the calls in 1998 and far above last year's total of 109."

Portland gang violence: Twenty-one bullets hit N. Portland house, 20 others strike city hotel | OregonLive.com

Just finished a dog walk in the North Park Blocks minutes ago. The place is covered in homeless. Thank God I'm departing soon.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 PM

166 posts, read 132,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
"Twenty-one bullets riddled a North Portland house, just after midnight nearly two weeks ago. Police found 35 shell casings at the scene."

"Last Friday night, a 21-year-old out of custody on weapons charges fatally shot two men outside a Montavilla neighborhood pub."

"Last Sunday, bullets whizzed through five rooms at the Jantzen Beach Red Lion Inn, wounding two women and disrupting a birthday party on a hotel room balcony. Police recovered 32 shell casings there."

"Thirteen shootings tied to gangs in the last two weeks in North, Northeast, Southeast and downtown Portland have left three people dead, and pushed the city's gang violence calls to 146 so far this year. It's the highest count since Portland police began recording the calls in 1998 and far above last year's total of 109."

Portland gang violence: Twenty-one bullets hit N. Portland house, 20 others strike city hotel | OregonLive.com

Just finished a dog walk in the North Park Blocks minutes ago. The place is covered in homeless. Thank God I'm departing soon.
Ugh, I think Portland is just crawling with gang activity and they seem to think it is acceptable to have thugs shooting up their neighborhoods. Combine that with the bum population that seems to grow and continue to be accepted here. This city is so disgusting and dangerous.

I envy you that you get to leave this cesspool soon, I am stuck here for another year before I can even try to transfer to a better city. So when do you get to finally leave this dump of a city?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 PM

149 posts, read 179,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
Ugh, I think Portland is just crawling with gang activity and they seem to think it is acceptable to have thugs shooting up their neighborhoods. Combine that with the bum population that seems to grow and continue to be accepted here. This city is so disgusting and dangerous.

I envy you that you get to leave this cesspool soon, I am stuck here for another year before I can even try to transfer to a better city. So when do you get to finally leave this dump of a city?
October 29th is the big day.

Yay!

I can only describe it as feeling like I have a vacation coming up.

I keep trying to enjoy my remaining time, especially on the sunny days, but then I'll run into a schizophrenic walking around in a blanket in the Park Blocks, or see the freak shows that have a shopping cart piled ten feet high with hoarded garbage on the corners. And I'm left thinking: why aren't these people institutionalized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland