U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 PM

50,305 posts, read 47,653,355 times

Advertisements

there has been a creeping distrust between the sexes in my own lifetime of 59 years, i am afraid women must work and there is nothing that can turn back the clock. i want it to be simple but it will never be. too may people have failed to live up to their obligations. from now on i am afraid that women (and probably men) will enter the marriage relationship with a parachute on their back and will stand near the exit door the entire time keeping one hand carefully focused on their career, the kids will be the ones that pay the heaviest price.
alas the loss of garden of eden, perhaps it was just a dream that some of us had, home aka. "leave it to beaver".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM

69 posts, read 190,923 times
Leis, all I mean is that the only way to meet someone is to get out of the house. Social organizations, a part time job, whatever. Anyone that can't meet people by doing those things has personal issues that no amount of socialization is going to fix.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,924,252 times
I am post-hetero, by age, but I'd suggest volunteering during the campaign season. I saw LOTS of attractive men of all ages, many of them single. By the way, it was not for Obama although that's another possibility for what you are campaigning for.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:34 PM

493 posts, read 178,745 times
Portland is a guy heavy town, much like the rest of the PNW. I've lived here alarmingly close to a decade now and feel qualifed to comment.

Subjectively, there's more attractive and successful single men than women around here. Attractive and successful single women are hard to come by and highly sought after. Women I would classify as hard-luck cases are very common...plenty of that to choose from if you're a bachelor.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,381,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Subjectively, there's more attractive and successful single men than women around here. Attractive and successful single women are hard to come by and highly sought after.
Many, many people make that observation. And I'm sure, being that it's an Oregon board, it will pi$$ people off. The male yuppie in training at Cornell, or Penn, or Yale, or Stanford for law or medicine or an MBA may include PDX (or SEA) in his roster of cities to look at after completing school. Same goes for similar type guys at any school in the Willamette Valley. With his yuppieness (is that word still in use?) comes the grooming and all the eyewash that's expected. On the other hand, many women come to Portland (or Seattle) to do something considered "alternative." This creates an imbalance like the one described...when I worked in downtown PDX, it was apparent. I do see attractive women at Washington Square and Bridgeport Village shopping centers, though, but overall, it's not a good scenario.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,771,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Portland is a guy heavy town, much like the rest of the PNW. I've lived here alarmingly close to a decade now and feel qualifed to comment.

Subjectively, there's more attractive and successful single men than women around here. Attractive and successful single women are hard to come by and highly sought after. Women I would classify as hard-luck cases are very common...plenty of that to choose from if you're a bachelor.
Sounds like a good hunting ground for the female OP

Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 AM

480 posts, read 1,601,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Sounds like a good hunting ground for the female OP
As they say up here, the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

I did a good bit of dating last year and found that while getting a date is no problem up here, finding someone who is open to a relationship (and taking all of their meds) is a real issue! I couldn't believe the number of men who had completely negative views about the opposite sex; it mystified me because I'm the one who recently went through a divorce, but I found myself asking why I was the less cynical person on the date!

Remember to keep your dates short and sweet. If you're not having fun, it's not worth pursuing further! Keep dancing with frogs and one of them will eventually introduce you to a prince. And no matter what, keep smiling!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,171,396 times
Can someone explain to me why if one wants to live an "alternative" lifestyle it is necessary to forgo all attempts at good grooming? What is so wonderful about letting your hair go gray and not cutting it in an attractive style? Why is it necessary to give up wearing makeup and shaving your legs? What is so abhorent about trying to dress in an attractive and reasonably feminine manner? And OMG, those Birkies!!! There seems to be an attitude among certain women that you will "take me as I am. I refuse to make any effort to make myself more attractive because it isn't the 'real' me or it just isn't 'natural.'" A trip to the drugstore can result in a box of haircolor, a good razor and a few items of makeup can make a world of difference but all too many women don't bother. My sister is a professional woman (a doctor) and she is always appalled when she goes to places like the opera at just how badly most of the women dress. Even during the day at the hospital she sees many women in bad jeans, a flannel shirt and Birkenstocks with socks. Does this say professional and competent to someone who doesn't know them to be trained physicians? Not hardly! Where is the Avon lady when you really need her?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,610,375 times
RR, I think you know the answer to all that. I was raised very conservatively and some aspects of the 21st century make me shake my head but I am not at all bothered by individual style choices anymore. Bad breath, body odor, not good, anything else is really in the domain of "live and let live". Just my opinion.

H

Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,771,070 times
I see RR is from Houston, TX. While not necessarily true of all TX women, I am generally appalled at the next door to a h--ker dress style of all too many of them. Too much makeup and trying too hard is just as unattractive as deliberately slobby. So, try not to be too provincial. News Flash: People from other parts of the country have a negative attitude to the overly made up and find them icky.

I agree with the bathed and clad comment. Attitude and how you behave is much more important than minor details like whether you choose to wear makeup or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland