Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I really need genuine advice. I recently graduated from CU Boulder with a B.A. in Communication. Since graduating, I have been constantly looking in Portland and in Colorado for jobs. However, I have not received anything from either state. I have lived in Colorado my whole life, but I really want a change. I believe Oregon would be a good state to transition to because I have heard it is very similar to Colorado except it has a beach. Anyway, I really wanted to secure a job before moving. However, now I am considering that maybe I should just move and then look for a job once I am actually in Oregon. If anyone can reply to my post, and has great advice I would appreciate it! Especially someone that has experience moving to another state without a job, and then found a job once settling down. I have some money saved up, but I am not sure how long I can survive on my savings.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 PM

311 posts, read 345,919 times
In my limited experience on this forum, I've found that when this question is posed the group strongly encourages the poster to wait and not move here until they secure employment. The OP then explains all the reasons why they are a special snowflake and why it makes total sense for them to move here anyway. So... with that in mind:

OP, please secure employment first. There are thousands of people here like you struggling to find work, many with connections and leads. It's not a dirt cheap place to live and you will blow through your savings quickly. Even a temp-to-hire position with an agency coupled with savings might be fine to get you started. Do you have child care experience? You might be able to secure a nanny position for $14-$16/hr to get you started and rent a room with room mates for awhile.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM

25 posts, read 31,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
OP, please secure employment first.

This

Old 11-06-2015, 03:26 PM

I don't have a lot of child care experience. I have posted multiple craigslist posts asking for employment or if people are searching for roommates. No luck. I am not sure what to do anymore. I really don't want to live in Colorado. I have received a few offers here in CO, but they are not careers. Just jobs. Plus, I am not interested. I really want a change, and I feel Oregon would be a good place for me because I hear it is a lot like Colorado. Anyway, life sucks sometimes haha.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:41 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
Have you considered applying for Federal or State positions in Oregon? Grab one, even if you don't intend to make a career of it, then look around for something better even in a related field.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:01 PM

I have! I have applied to so many government positions. Of course, the process takes forever. I have been declined by some of the positions, but others ones I am still waiting to hear from.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:09 PM

25 posts, read 31,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adch5792 View Post
I don't have a lot of child care experience. I have posted multiple craigslist posts asking for employment or if people are searching for roommates. No luck. I am not sure what to do anymore. I really don't want to live in Colorado. I have received a few offers here in CO, but they are not careers. Just jobs. Plus, I am not interested. I really want a change, and I feel Oregon would be a good place for me because I hear it is a lot like Colorado. Anyway, life sucks sometimes haha.

Your life could be much worse though :-)

Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM

26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Downtown Portland is really expensive, and available places are almost nonexistent. Maybe consider Eugene instead. Jobs don't seem that hard to find there, and you'll have more of a chance of getting by on a "survival" type of job until you find something in line with your career goals.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:26 PM

478 posts, read 877,575 times
One small thing to consider- you mention "[Oregon] is very similar to Colorado except it has a beach." You are aware that "the beach" is about a 2-hour drive from Portland, and is rarely warm enough for swimming or sunbathing, right? Before making the decision to move here, you probably want to visit first.

Other than "the beach," why do you want to move here? You say you want "a change"- presumably from Colorado, but then you say you want to move here because it's like Colorado. Why Oregon?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM

I want a change from the same places here in Colorado and the people. At the same time, Colorado is a very beautiful state. I love the mountains, and I was just saying that the beach is a nice perk. I know it is not like California or Hawaii weather. That is what I like about Oregon. That is what intrigues me. Sorry I want to explore... even if it might be similar to Colorado scenery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland