Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 PM

194 posts, read 244,831 times

Advertisements

I see Portland as being rather attractive, being a no car needed city with a lot of people to meet and things to do. But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family). But I'm mostly worried about not finding a Christian man who shares my views in Portland. (I've heard about people going to strip clubs on dates there--yikes!)

Should I steer clear of Portland or do you think I could live there without much problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,820,454 times
You should be fine. Unless you are Going out of your way to make trouble,no one will care.
Further - for the good or Portland, we need more like you.
Portland does not have enough thinking people.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,879,053 times
There are many Christian churches out here in WA County and in Happe Valley area. I met a few religious people in Portland while I lived there and less than five conservatives in five and a half years. Maybe it's just me.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:04 PM

145 posts, read 202,038 times
I live in Herriman, Utah, just outside of SLC. You would love it here. Trade me places!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
I live in Herriman, Utah, just outside of SLC. You would love it here. Trade me places!
Well right now I'm in Michigan, so I would trade anyone places!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,515,059 times
You can find a man who shares your beliefs in the Portland area. All of my good friends are Christians and all have good long time marriages.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 PM

846 posts, read 603,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
I see Portland as being rather attractive, being a no car needed city with a lot of people to meet and things to do. But I'm a little worried about how Liberal it is. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family). But I'm mostly worried about not finding a Christian man who shares my views in Portland. (I've heard about people going to strip clubs on dates there--yikes!)

Should I steer clear of Portland or do you think I could live there without much problem?

If you have the means and will to move, don't let the ideology stop you. I find the attitudes in the areas to be non aggressive and a touch aloof. There are concerns like cost of living, fringe elements, government, jobs, and schools. But I feel this is a more systematic on a national level. The weather is mild and scenery beautiful.

There are churches here and I am confident you will find one that fits your quality of state.

I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance. "They will say of Me, 'Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.' Men will come to Him, And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame. Isa45:23

Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,991,295 times
Quote:
Well right now I'm in Michigan, so I would trade anyone places!
I have known a number of people who have moved here from Michigan and overall loved it here. You will do just fine in liberal Portland, there are plenty of religious people that live in the metro, plenty of conservatives, and if nothing else avoid talking about religion and politics and it will never be an issue.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
Quote:

See my PM to you. Negative commenting towards liberals leads to banning.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
. I'm Conservative and a Christian, and I have no particular dislike of Liberals, but I'm worried about any hostility towards people like me. I don't go around flaunting my political side (I try to avoid talking openly about it as much as possible, almost none of my Liberal friends know and neither does my family).
Just making it clear, I am not bashing or saying anything negative about Liberals in any way. I live around them constantly already. Just making sure it's safe walking to church and back, and finding a partner who shares my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland