Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,780,467 times

Advertisements

Rising rents are pushing out artists that made Portland cool Rising rents are pushing out artists that made Portland cool | The Charlotte Observer

This is really sad about Portland. Why are all of the artsy places becoming expensive. I can understand people moving to these places hoping for a better life, especially people who were raised in small towns who are trying to escape. It's almost like they want to keep potential relocators stuck in Backwoods, Alabama or someplace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,408,542 times
These are the first steps in the process of a city experiencing "gentrification".

Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 PM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times
"Artsy" towns tend to be really expensive. Santa Fe, New Mexico is famous for being both artsy and very expensive. Sisters Oregon is both artsy and very expensive. Soho New York is artsy and very expensive. Ashland Oregon is both artsy and expensive.

Artsy places are fashionable places to live, so people move in and the cost of housing goes up.

If you want cheap, look for an area where no one wants to live, with no jobs, poor living conditions, and no education. I suggest Detroit, except none of the artists want to live there, either, so it isn't artsy. But, after all, if you are an artist, you should be able to produce art anywhere. You don't have to be surrounded by other artists.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,371 times
It's a fine line for struggling artists. They can't go to too cheap of an area, because few people there will pay much for their art.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,309,077 times
Don't be a sheeple. Think outside the box. You don't have to go where everyone else is flocking to. My new city of Cleveland has a thriving arts community. It also has affordable housing and jobs. If you can deal with the winters, you can have a city with great restaurants, entertainment and a place to showcase your art work. These are just a small sample of venues I took from the Internet. My next door neighbor is a successful Cleveland artist. He wouldn't live anywhere else because he can earn a living with his art alone. Cleveland supports its arts community.

Cleveland Museum of Art

Cleveland School of the Arts

Art Galleries in Cleveland, Ohio with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Cleveland Arts Jobs | Employment | Creative Compass

Progressive Arts Alliance

Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,657,450 times
It's not just Portland. It happens all over. For example, artists moved into the abandoned clothing district in SOHO, NYC. Then the art galleries came, then gentrification. Now, I rather doubt many starving artists live in the vicinity. It's now big $$$$.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,895,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Rising rents are pushing out artists that made Portland cool

This is really sad about Portland. Why are all of the artsy places becoming expensive.
It isn't just Portland. Rents across the US are going up as more people seem to see a quick buck to be made in real estate.

Basically it's a cycle as far as the artist thing goes. You start with a bad area that isn't too scary, then you add artists who are poor, but usually interesting, then the businesses that cater to the artists/cool kids come in, more of these type of people start showing up, and then uncool kids who want to hang with the cool kids move there too. By this time the formerly bad area has been transformed into a legitimate desirable area.

After this people with money want to move from there high cost good area to these new lower-cost good areas making the prices go out of the range of the artists who started it all. Then they have to move. Then the first wave of people with money get priced out by rich people who want what these new places have become based mostly on hype and reputation by this point.

As you can see with San Francisco and NYC once an area becomes know for being "cool" people will just keep coming long after it isn't anymore.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:09 PM

311 posts, read 345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
It isn't just Portland. Rents across the US are going up as more people seem to see a quick buck to be made in real estate.

Basically it's a cycle as far as the artist thing goes. You start with a bad area that isn't too scary, then you add artists who are poor, but usually interesting, then the businesses that cater to the artists/cool kids come in, more of these type of people start showing up, and then uncool kids who want to hang with the cool kids move there too. By this time the formerly bad area has been transformed into a legitimate desirable area.

After this people with money want to move from there high cost good area to these new lower-cost good areas making the prices go out of the range of the artists who started it all. Then they have to move. Then the first wave of people with money get priced out by rich people who want what these new places have become based mostly on hype and reputation by this point.

As you can see with San Francisco and NYC once an area becomes know for being "cool" people will just keep coming long after it isn't anymore.
Exactly this. Artists are always the first wave.

My prediction is that deep east Portland will be the next place transformed by artists over the next 10-15 years.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,879,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
Exactly this. Artists are always the first wave.

My prediction is that deep east Portland will be the next place transformed by artists over the next 10-15 years.
Madison- South neighborhood is the next gentrified neighborhood IMO. The main reason I think this is that PPS is figuring out school boundaries right now and if Madison feed is reconfigured the way I think it will then Madison High will become as desirable as Grant High. That will affect the desirability of the schools that feed into Madison like Lee School which is in the Madison High feed. So posters looking for an affordable place to buy that is close to Tri-Met, the airport and the freeways...look into Madison South BEFORE it becomes too expensive.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Don't be a sheeple. Think outside the box. You don't have to go where everyone else is flocking to. My new city of Cleveland has a thriving arts community. It also has affordable housing and jobs. If you can deal with the winters, you can have a city with great restaurants, entertainment and a place to showcase your art work. These are just a small sample of venues I took from the Internet. My next door neighbor is a successful Cleveland artist. He wouldn't live anywhere else because he can earn a living with his art alone. Cleveland supports its arts community.

Cleveland Museum of Art

Cleveland School of the Arts

Art Galleries in Cleveland, Ohio with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Cleveland Arts Jobs | Employment | Creative Compass

Progressive Arts Alliance
Cleveland proper also has a 40% poverty rate. I'm sure those folks have art money to blow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland