Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 PM

121 posts, read 162,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

All I know is if I ever move again i am not selling any of my thing.

This made me LOL ... I can so relate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
A moving truck is about $2000 minimum. Depending on the distance it could be anywhere from 300 to 3000 for a U-haul, probably $1500 is a reasonable estimate for a U-haul; add to that the gas for that behemoth.

If you just drive yourself and can fit all of your stuff, all it will cost you is motel rooms, meals, and gas for the trip. I think you could find housing for <1000 a month if you're not picky. Could rent a room for 5-600.

So yes, you could live on $10K for up to 6-8 months if you were careful. Or you could spend it it all in 6 weeks. Kind of up to you.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Travel light.

Portland has an active furniture resale market, and of course IKEA. Sell your 'stuff' locally and replace it once you have an apartment to furnish. My suggestion is to bring sheets, towels, kitchen stuff that will fit in the trunk of a car. Pack electronics in a suitcase you bring into your hotel room or hide under stuff in your trunk (thieves car prowl in hotel parking lots everywhere.. even in Utah, the home of the Saints). While an earlier poster wishes she had brought her furniture in all honesty her first decision was the wisest. If you do have 'stuff' you want to keep store it in a relative's home for a couple months then retrieve it.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:29 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
A moving truck is about $2000 minimum. Depending on the distance it could be anywhere from 300 to 3000 for a U-haul, probably $1500 is a reasonable estimate for a U-haul; add to that the gas for that behemoth.

If you just drive yourself and can fit all of your stuff, all it will cost you is motel rooms, meals, and gas for the trip. I think you could find housing for <1000 a month if you're not picky. Could rent a room for 5-600.

So yes, you could live on $10K for up to 6-8 months if you were careful. Or you could spend it it all in 6 weeks. Kind of up to you.
^This. What type of work would you be looking for? The other thing to factor in is not knowing where you are going to be working makes it harder to find a place to live from the aspect of commuting. You could likely rent a room in the suburbs for $500-$600 (or more) and end up with a hellacious commute when you find a job. At $500, you are looking at $6,000 a year in rent.

Expect to take at least 6 months to find a job. I have a friend who is a web developer who has been looking since spring; I have a friend who is a system's analyst who has been looking since early summer. Another friend has been looking for an executive asst or human resource position for at least 6 months and is now sending her resume to other parts of the country. My friend's housemate moved out here to take care of an ailing relative. She telecommuted for a bit but that didn't work out. Now she's looking at CA and moving back to the east coast to find a decent paying job in her field.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
^This. What type of work would you be looking for? The other thing to factor in is not knowing where you are going to be working makes it harder to find a place to live from the aspect of commuting. You could likely rent a room in the suburbs for $500-$600 (or more) and end up with a hellacious commute when you find a job. At $500, you are looking at $6,000 a year in rent.

Expect to take at least 6 months to find a job. I have a friend who is a web developer who has been looking since spring; I have a friend who is a system's analyst who has been looking since early summer. Another friend has been looking for an executive asst or human resource position for at least 6 months and is now sending her resume to other parts of the country. My friend's housemate moved out here to take care of an ailing relative. She telecommuted for a bit but that didn't work out. Now she's looking at CA and moving back to the east coast to find a decent paying job in her field.
This paints a very accurate picture as to how well the OP can live on $10,000 once arriving in Portland. I think it really is going to all boil down to how soon they find employment and what the wages will be. Finding a place to live that won't eat up all the savings within a relatively short period of time will be something of a challenge.

With only $10,000, I would suggest a roommate at least in the beginning to help stretch the savings. More than half of that can be eaten up in rent alone if a job isn't found quickly. Just two years ago, someone I know rented a room for $400 a month in North Portland. Today that room goes for $600. So you have to figure on constant rent increases because that's what's going on right now.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:27 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
10K will last you a few months, for a single person. Portland has a lot of great things to offer, but I would suggest making sure you can get a well paying job before taking the plunge. Working for $9.50-$13 an hour and living in Portland means either working your ass off or having multiple roommates, which doesn't always work out. Either that or living in poor quality housing in a bad part of town.

Are you okay with the idea of a small 1960s apartment that is 45 degrees inside during the winter and 85 degrees inside during the summer, and likely contains asbestos and/or lead paint and possibly rodents?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I have a feeling the OP isn't coming back, so this should be a dead thread....

Old 12-06-2015, 03:26 PM

OP, if you are still lurking about, I have a suggestion. Portland has some very good hostels. You might want to stay in one of them for awhile until you get the lay of the land. They don't cost a great deal of money and you can determine the job situation while you are in Portland to see if you think you can make it. Give yourself a time frame in which you feel you would be able to support yourself without breaking the bank.

You might even want to leave your stuff where it is right now and if all goes well send for it later or just sell it depending upon how much you have and whether or not you want to get rid of it.

This would be even less expensive than renting a room from a private party and rent is what would eat up your savings faster than anything else in Portland.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 AM

522 posts, read 737,476 times
The reason why I made this thread is because I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the cost of living here is outrageous. I want to live in a centralized urban environment without having to go broke. If I do move I intend to pack light, so moving costs aren't a big concern.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 AM

Hi OP, glad to see you are still here. I am going to expand on my suggestion and recommend this place in my former neighborhood. It's really close to downtown where you would be in an urban setting but it won't break the bank. It's in one of the few good bus routes in Portland and there will be people who can direct you to any place you need to go. Take a look.

Hawthorne Portland Hostel – Portland Oregon USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: