Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,891,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
As long as certain people run this state and city, we will never be like San Francisco, because we have elected business repelling leaders. Sure, were good at incubating artisanal vegan bakeries and feminist bookstores, but nothing on par with Silicon Valley or San Fanciscos financial district. The high paying jobs just aren't coming here fast enough to support population and housing projections. Also, we have more land than Seattle and SF
I agree with you that Portland's economy is FAR from Seattle or SF for many reasons that gets brought up in this forum regularly. As for Portland being "over" according to the OP. Nope... Portland will keep attracting retirees with cash who want to live in the city center and don't care about work, workers who can work remotely but can afford to buy property here, and highly skilled workers who want the higher quality of life that Portland offers and their high salary goes a long way. Portland is actually, " soooo, NOT over". The young trustafarians and hipster couch surfers may think Portland is OVER and are probably on to the next city... hopefully one that will offer work opportunities AND a good quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I try not to watch crap like that, but when I'm visiting family they usually have HGTV on. Frankly that's the sort of clientele I see regardless of where they're shooting.

I suspect the producers choose that sort on purpose, or perhaps the people are just trying to act a certain way on camera to look "respectable."

In much the same way MTV Real World draws a certain type of participant and encourages a certain type of behavior.
Actually, I brought up the HH episode because the obnoxious couple is pretty representative of the yuppies who have little respect for the history of multi- generational San Franciscans and are pretty soulless! Yeah, I have seriously ranted. 😂

Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Actually, I brought up the HH episode because the obnoxious couple is pretty representative of the yuppies who have little respect for the history of multi- generational San Franciscans and are pretty soulless! Yeah, I have seriously ranted. 😂
I confess, I haven't been to SF in 20 years. Don't really have a lot of motivation to go.

I know a few people there who I used to like, but perhaps they're the exception that proves the rule, or perhaps SF has ruined them.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I confess, I haven't been to SF in 20 years. Don't really have a lot of motivation to go.

I know a few people there who I used to like, but perhaps they're the exception that proves the rule, or perhaps SF has ruined them.
SF was a great regional city until the 90's. I will always love the city I spent my early life in but like NYC, LA, Seattle and so many other cities with character... the yuppification has changed a very cool city. NYC has lost its character and Seattle is at risk with Amaon being located I the city. Sorry I don't have a link for the article I just read about Amazon. I sold my house in Portland this past year and I noticed that the buyers looking in our old hood seemed to not fit in with a lot of really great Portlanders. I also noticed a lot of rude new parents at the school who could care less about the community that was responsible for creating a great school and neighborhood. Oh, well... got my house sold and I am quite happy in the burbs!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM

49 posts, read 49,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unless Portland starts to require parking spaces with new apartments, which apparently they will not do, parking in Portland will become completely intolerable.

San Francisco has good public transportation and the people who live in San Francisco tend to stay in San Francisco. One trip to the redwoods and you've seen everything outside the city limits. San Francisco is a city where you can survive without owning a car.

Portland, on the other hand has so-so public transportation and people move to Portland so that they can indulge in outdoor recreational activities, which necessitates a car to drive to the mountains and to the coast. Portland is not a place where the majority of people can live without owning a car. If there is a car, it has to be parked some place, and Portland policy is to not provide parking spaces.
Over two thirds of SF households own a car. And there's a big difference between the government forcing developers to build parking lots, and developers choosing themselves whether or not to build one based on consumer demand.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,838,833 times
Quote:
It sucks to see a beautiful place become the playground for the wealthy.

Yes your right - Portland should emulate Detroit or Buffalo or Toledo. That would be so much nicer.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Yes your right - Portland should emulate Detroit or Buffalo or Toledo. That would be so much nicer.
Because the only two options for a future path are SF or Detroit?

And Buffalo's not that bad, at least as a metro.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Because the only two options for a future path are SF or Detroit?

And Buffalo's not that bad, at least as a metro.
Boston is even more affordable than most West coast metros as 30 minutes outside of any downtown core is still expensive but I believe burbs 30 minutes outside of Boston are considerably more affordable and the Boston economy is good. I have family in that area so I am basing my opinions off of their experience but maybe i have outdated info.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Boston is even more affordable than most West coast metros as 30 minutes outside of any downtown core is still expensive but I believe burbs 30 minutes outside of Boston are considerably more affordable and the Boston economy is good. I have family in that area so I am basing my opinions off of their experience but maybe i have outdated info.
You start to see some comparable apartment rents at roughly 45 min, but housing purchases are still higher than what you'd pay here.

That said, incomes are higher too. If I were doing the same exact job where I used to live in the Boston metro I'd be making about 15k more minimum, with more opportunities to change jobs as well.

There are also more jobs at the periphery. You can also deduct part of your rent from income tax, though there are a number of other taxes/fees we don't have here, and auto insurance can be pricey.

The other thing is that schools are more consistently high-rated. Peabody would be one of the more "affordable" districts because they don't spend on schools and median home price is still $350,000.

I'd say Boston is one of the harder cities to compare Portland to as there are few commonalities (population, layout/scale, economics, etc.). But yes, there are days I wish I still lived in the Boston metro.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:40 AM

[quote=bler144;42718630]You start to see some comparable apartment rents at roughly 45 min, but housing purchases are still higher than what you'd pay here.

That said, incomes are higher too. If I were doing the same exact job where I used to live in the Boston metro I'd be making about 15k more minimum, with more opportunities to change jobs as well.

There are also more jobs at the periphery. You can also deduct part of your rent from income tax, though there are a number of other taxes/fees we don't have here, and auto insurance can be pricey.

The other thing is that schools are more consistently high-rated. Peabody would be one of the more "affordable" districts because they don't spend on schools and median home price is still $350,000.

I'd say Boston is one of the harder cities to compare Portland to as there are few commonalities (population, layout/scale, economics, etc.). But yes, there are days I wish I still lived in the Boston metro.[/

I agree with you but I don't want to get in trouble for hijacking a thread. We should start a new one- which city/ metro should Portland look to as an economic model?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland