Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 38,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Why on earth would anyone pay that kind of money for that house?
That particular house has been sitting on the Market since the summer. Most likely because it is overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 38,850 times
I personally have had my eye on this one in Sullivan's Gulch.

The price dropped at the end of the year and then just went back up. It's at the top of my budget, and I am really hoping to find something in the $500Ks. We were there in October but it was very bittersweet because we found the beautiful 4 Square off Albina and Alberta but since we were just checking out neighborhoods and our home wasn't even close to being listed....that one is long gone.

2547 Ne Multnomah St, Portland, OR 97232 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,908,051 times
Portland is over. Exhibit A: Carrie Brownstein (of Portlandia fame) Has Left Portland. Carrie Brownstein Has Left Portland - Willamette Week

Exhibit B: Fred Armisen (the other half of Portlandia) lives in LA as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,408,697 times
I think Carrie grew up in the Seattle area but I could be wrong. Anyway she is a very nice lady. She used to bring her dog to the same veterinary clinic where I used to take my cat. I saw her a few times and once worked up the courage to tell her I liked her band, Sleater Kinney.

At first she looked at me kind of puzzled. This old white haired lady talking about her music? Then she broke into a big smile and thanked me.

I didn't mention "Portlandia" because I only watched it for one season. Not my cup 'o tea.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:32 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think Carrie grew up in the Seattle area but I could be wrong. Anyway she is a very nice lady. She used to bring her dog to the same veterinary clinic where I used to take my cat. I saw her a few times and once worked up the courage to tell her I liked her band, Sleater Kinney.

At first she looked at me kind of puzzled. This old white haired lady talking about her music? Then she broke into a big smile and thanked me.

I didn't mention "Portlandia" because I only watched it for one season. Not my cup 'o tea.
That's great, Minerva! I once saw Carrie at our local WF in Hollywood and she walked right by me to get to her car. That's when I really felt like I was living the complete cliche Portland life.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:00 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,908,051 times
At least 2 of the 3 reasons she gave for leaving were valid reasons.

1. Needed more sun.
2. Needed to be around more ambitious people.
3. Write/act more.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,649,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
At least 2 of the 3 reasons she gave for leaving were valid reasons.

1. Needed more sun.
2. Needed to be around more ambitious people.
3. Write/act more.
Totally understand.

Number 2 for me is even more obvious when I visit Portland. My friends and family for the most part have a strong slacker streak.

Number 3 more career opportunities. Agreed.

Number 1 Sun! Yes, you do get spoiled when its is sunny most of the time.

The COL is huge when you factor in the local economy.

Portland is nice. Bring money.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM

120 posts, read 278,961 times
"Portland" IS over. However, Portland is still a great place to live if you can afford it, and that's a big if for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:57 PM

616 posts, read 643,585 times
I lived on the east coast back in the early 2000s until 2006 and Portland still isnt close cost wise, and most common jobs back there paid less than what is being paid here now. Back in DC if you made less than a hundred grand you probably lived 15 or more miles out of the city.

Portland has its probs no doubt and all things are not rosey but its not the hell that is portrayed on this site.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM

846 posts, read 608,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
I lived on the east coast back in the early 2000s until 2006 and Portland still isnt close cost wise, and most common jobs back there paid less than what is being paid here now. Back in DC if you made less than a hundred grand you probably lived 15 or more miles out of the city.

Portland has its probs no doubt and all things are not rosey but its not the hell that is portrayed on this site.
Anyone else tired of seeing comparisons to cities like Chicago, Detroit, LA, DC to Portland?

Gee, D.C. is not all roses but hey, compared to Chernobyl, its great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland