Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Portland difficult to find a career level job?
YES 50 64.10%
NO 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:53 AM

628 posts, read 818,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
Someone from Oregon is aware of the climate and culture of the area and is less likely to bail when thing are not going their way. ALOT of people move here, find it distasteful or disappointing for whatever reason and move away. Employees that leave prematurely cost employers dearly and they are always looking for someone that looks like they will be there for the long haul.
This is an interesting point. Perhaps hiring managers are also turning away transplants because of the turnover risk. I just stumbled on an Oregonian article that last year more people moved away from Portland than moved in. This is contrary to many years of influx.

More people moved away from Portland than moved in during peak relocation season | OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
$45K/yr. and no experience necessary... are you sure you want to know UL? I would have passed on a help wanted ad like that myself.
I kind of do want to know, but at the same time, I can see why everyone passed it up. As my dad always told me, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:07 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I have a bit of a unique perspective on this, as I am a transplant, but I went to an Oregon university as an out of state student. In my experience, potential employers in have been very receptive to my alma mater, even though it is far from an elite university. Perhaps the subject of this thread has something to do with the reason why there is a bias toward in state undergrads in employment. Someone from Oregon is aware of the climate and culture of the area and is less likely to bail when thing are not going their way. ALOT of people move here, find it distasteful or disappointing for whatever reason and move away. Employees that leave prematurely cost employers dearly and they are always looking for someone that looks like they will be there for the long haul.
This may be very true...I was shocked when I took a job at a RE firm and the first introduction in a conference room, everyone introduced themselves and said they were a "Duck" or "Beaver". Coming from Silicon Valley where you have people from all over the globe...I was like "are these folks serious"?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
This is an interesting point. Perhaps hiring managers are also turning away transplants because of the turnover risk. I just stumbled on an Oregonian article that last year more people moved away from Portland than moved in. This is contrary to many years of influx.

More people moved away from Portland than moved in during peak relocation season | OregonLive.com
Though that's just based on United Van Lines rental data(which is just one moving company) and an article from last year. The population of Portland(and Multnomah County) increased over the last year, rentals are still hard to get because of people moving here, and newer places are selling pretty fast.

If the influx has slowed(it could have from the last couple years), it's hard to tell right now. Cities these days have people moving in and out all the time, but overall I haven't seen any other evidence that there's a net loss in population in Portland.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 12-14-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 01:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Talking well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
EXCELLENT POST! I'm a transplant from CA with Google and Apple seriously trying to recruit me back to CA, but there are no positions that I can work in PDX...well maybe for $35K a year vs. $200k+ in Silicon Valley. Fortunately I'm self employed, and can operate remotely as I'm in the software industry.

It's the old boys club here...you don't even have to have a college degree to land a job at Nike if you have an inside connection. Also women need to keep in mind, up here they expect women to get a "secretary's salary" no matter how smart you are.

It's a super depressed economy that does not match the COL.

I'm leaving, as I might as well live somewhere a little cheaper with better weather since this place has no future. It's a gorgeous area to live in, if you can take the rain...and if you have a trust fund AND no ambition.
bye bye, then...

Old 12-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
This may be very true...I was shocked when I took a job at a RE firm and the first introduction in a conference room, everyone introduced themselves and said they were a "Duck" or "Beaver". Coming from Silicon Valley where you have people from all over the globe...I was like "are these folks serious"?
Exactly. Well just look at a few of the posts on this thread, of the so called ‘tolerant’ Portlanders: “Too bad it didn’t work for you, now get the F* out!”

Old 12-14-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Though that's just based on United Van Lines rental data(which is just one moving company) and an article from last year. The population of Portland(and Multnomah County) increased over the last year, rentals are still hard to get because of people moving here, and newer places are selling pretty fast.

If the influx has slowed(it could have from the last couple years), it's hard to tell right now. Cities these days have people moving in and out all the time, but overall I haven't seen any other evidence that there's a net loss in population.
I am hoping this rain helps a few people to decide to leave or not move here. Some slowing would be nice, or at least pushing out those that don't like this weather would be a plus. As I always say, I love it when it rains in Portland because it always helps a Californian (or anyone who wants a lot of sunlight) a reason to leave.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Exactly. Well just look at a few of the posts on this thread, of the so called ‘tolerant’ Portlanders: “Too bad it didn’t work for you, now get the F* out!”
No one is here to hold your hand or help you have a good experience. Portland isn't for everyone, if you don't like it here, then don't live here. You don't hurt our feelings by whining about all the things you don't like about Portland because most of those things are what we like about Portland. So yes, if you don't like it here, then move. Though I am guessing that is the rule anywhere you go in this country, why would you want to live in a place you don't like. Also why would you expect others that do like living in that place to agree or sympathize with you just because you don't like it there?

If you want, I could easily tear apart a number of your points in your OP.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:39 PM

So what is all this disdain for Californians? I don’t get it. If anything, they helped grow what little economy Oregon has, and surged your homes market price creating wealth and equity for all natives? That is a good thing and you guys should be grateful.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
There isn't disdain for Californians, it is an old issue as the reason for urban growth boundaries was watching what happened in California back in the day. If there is resentment it is the frustration on the part of local home buyers competing with folks who have a lot more $$ when buying a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland