U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:28 PM

459 posts, read 764,526 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have job offers in the places listed in the title of the thread.

As you can see from my prior posts, I am rather keen on the PNW and enjoy both Portland and Seattle quite a bit. I prefer a big city to a small/not so happening place. I currently live downtown Portland and very much enjoy the amenities of the city.
We enjoy what nature has to offer. We enjoy biking, walking, and outdoor activities.
My current job situation has spoiled me quite a bit as we do not commute to work - we walk and take public transport to work that takes a total of about 20 minutes.

All the job offers are in the suburbs/outlying areas of the two cities. Pay is comparable, but I do note that there is a significant state tax difference between the areas.

Portland ---> Hillsboro
Complicated by the heavy traffic between Portland and Hillsboro on Hwy 26 - congested. If one was to live in the Goose Hollow area of Portland, one could conceivably take the Max line for a 45 minute ride to the hospital in Hillsboro where I will be working. If not, it seems like a 1.25-1.5 hr commute from Portland (especially east side) to Hillsboro via car.

Portland ---> Vancouver
Complicated again by heavy traffic. One solution is to live in Vancouver, where I could take advantage of no taxes, but it would be in Vancouver which is much less lively than Portland.

Seattle ---> Bremerton
I would have to live downtown Seattle, right by the Ferry to take an hour ride into Bremerton and then one hour back to Seattle. 2 hour total commute every day.
I do not think I would like to live in Bremerton, Silverdale, Poulsbo, or even BI - they seem very slow.

Seattle ---> Puyallup
Incredible commute of 1.5 hours during rush hour. I did not like the Puyallup area that much at all. I do not know much about Tacoma, but someone suggested living in Gig Harbor for an easier commute. I very much like Bellvue and its proximity to Seattle. I like the city itself and the proximity to nature.

I appreciate all the feedback and am willing to take everything into consideration.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers! Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:36 PM
FSF

221 posts, read 256,837 times
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you enjoy Portland, and currently have a job that "spoils" you, exactly what is there to consider? All those other situations require a longer commute (much longer quite frankly), and Seattle would be a fair amount more expensive.

Are you getting paid substantially more with any of these other situations or will you be advancing your career in any significant way.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Hello all!

I have job offers in the places listed in the title of the thread.

Portland ---> Vancouver
Complicated again by heavy traffic. One solution is to live in Vancouver, where I could take advantage of no taxes, but it would be in Vancouver which is much less lively than Portland.
I appreciate all the feedback and am willing to take everything into consideration.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers! Happy Holidays!
If you have a good work / pay opportunity and can live and work in Vancouver, you can easily 'commute' to Portland for the extra curricular things you can't find in Vancouver and it would be off-traffic, (takes 7 min to drive from Vancouver to downtown Portland). For your 'earning yrs' this would be the best combination. You can get a friend in Portland that has a place for you to abode occasionally, Plenty of Outdoor stuff accessible from Vancouver or Portland. Metro Seattle . Puget Sound is a zoo, takes 1+ hour to get to peaceful outdoor recreation. Ferries can REALLY draw out your commute time (and are not cheap).

1) Focus on getting the best take-home-pay (More money for travel / fun)
2) Minimize your daily commute (= More time OFF)
3) Create a home that is a 'retreat' / place to rest
4) Use each job as a stepping stone to your next career / goal.

Most of your options sound BAD for commute. = bad for family / friends / free time / stress.

Take the money and run!

Old 12-13-2015, 03:27 PM

10,292 posts, read 17,514,602 times
I lived on Bainbridge Island for ~15 years. It is, basically, a Seattle suburb convenient to Seattle. If you want particulars pm me. It is a good midpoint between downtown Seattle and Bremerton. Ferry ride only 35 minutes.

Silverdale is 'shopping', Bremerton has been trying to incorporate the area (sales tax revenue) but residents/property owners keeping the city at bay.

Bremerton and environments is a Navy town, many choose to retire there after leaving the service. Submarine crews don't have a reputation for carousing (thank God as they actually do have their fingers on nucs). The Navy has one of the best jazz groups in the country, there is a performing arts center. As I haven't lived there I can't comment on nightlife for a single guy.

Poulsbo is a cute town with Norwegian heritage. Unless you frequent the Norse Hall I agree it is slow.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,105,885 times
Portland or Bellvue would be MY choices but I am not you. Sounds like you are in a fortunate situation to have several options at your disposal. Make a pros and cons list and determine which place gives you the most of what YOU desire. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:13 PM

The cost of housing in Bellevue makes Portland look like a bargain. The other issue is finding housing around Bellevue ... think software Mecca.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:29 PM

459 posts, read 764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you enjoy Portland, and currently have a job that "spoils" you, exactly what is there to consider? All those other situations require a longer commute (much longer quite frankly), and Seattle would be a fair amount more expensive.

Are you getting paid substantially more with any of these other situations or will you be advancing your career in any significant way.
Thanks for the response FSF!

Unfortunately the job will be ending in June 2016 and I am currently looking for other opportunities. And I mean that it "spoils" me in the fact that I do not have to drive to work - I walk to the tram and take it up to the hospital!! They unfortunately don't have any openings for next year there.

And yes, I will be getting paid much more with these opportunities - hope to make ~ 200K a year.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
... I will be getting paid much more with these opportunities - hope to make ~ 200K a year.
Then do it in a tax free state and retire in ~8 yrs.

WA helped my pull the plug on work before I was age 50. It was my 3rd retirement, 1st retirement was at age 16 when I LEFT Dairy Farm Boarding school. Work / Life has been a breeze ever since. 2nd at age 30,

Retire early, retire often (too fun to only do ONCE).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-14-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 09:17 PM

One of the families in my grandchildren's circle moved to Bainbridge Island this summer. The father is practicing at Harrison in Bremerton. One of the advantages of Bainbridge is it's central location between Harrison and Seattle.

While I lived there Virginia Mason had the largest clinic on the Island, it is steps from the ferry.

The drive from BI to Harrison isn't an issue if you are doing shift work such as ER or ICU. Physicians living on BI are somewhat constrained by the ferry schedule (it doesn't operate in the wee small hours). Maybe some hot-bunk at their Seattle hospital.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,728,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The drive from BI to Harrison isn't an issue if you are doing shift work such as ER or ICU. Physicians living on BI are somewhat constrained by the ferry schedule (it doesn't operate in the wee small hours). Maybe some hot-bunk at their Seattle hospital.
So that's why the doctors in Gray's Anatomy are always hot-bunking each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or